Mom jeans refer to a style of women’s pants popular in the 1980s and early 1990s that features a high waist (above the belly button), which makes the buttocks appear disproportionately longer, whereas The girlfriend jeans style is designed to embrace your curves and show off your shape while emulating the boyfriend style.
- Mom jeans have a high waist and a tapered leg, while girlfriend jeans feature a mid-rise waist and a slightly slimmer leg.
- Girlfriend jeans provide a more relaxed fit than mom jeans, making them more comfortable for various body types.
- Mom jeans tend to be made from thicker, less stretchy denim, whereas girlfriend jeans use softer, stretchier fabric for added comfort.
Mom Jeans vs. Girlfriend Jeans
Mom jeans are high-waisted and loose-fitting, with a tapered leg. Girlfriend jeans are a slimmer fit with a lower waist and straight leg. Mom jeans are inspired by the high-waisted jeans of the 1980s and 1990s, while girlfriend jeans have a more modern and relaxed fit.
Mom jeans first appeared on the market in the late 1980s. This type of denim was an alternative to skinny jeans with a straight-leg cut. The jeans have a lot of extra area in the zipper, crotch, and leg sections.
Tapering Legs and elastic waistbands are common features of the design.
The girlfriend style is designed to embrace body curves. Girlfriend jeans have a higher waist, slimmer hips, larger area between the feet, and a straighter, more streamlined leg shape, which can include or exclude folded hemlines and come in a variety of sizes.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Mom jeans were initially found in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
|Less fitted cut.
|Low, mid, or high rise.
|Low, mid, or high rise.
|Mom’s jeans are loose.
|Girlfriend jeans were found around 2014-2015.
|Mom’s jeans are more flexible.
|Girlfriend jeans are tight.
|Mom jeans are more flexible.
|Girlfriend jeans are less flexible.
What is Mom’s Jeans?
Mom jeans refer to a style of women’s pants popular in the 1980s and early 1990s that were considered outdated and unattractive to the wearer’s physique. Mom jeans were an alternative to skinny jeans with a straight-leg cut.
This type of denim rests at the waist, offering them extra relaxed and attractive on various body types.
It also has many extra areas in the zipper, crotch, and leg sections. Tapering Legs and elastic waistbands are standard features of the design.
A blouse or shirt tucked inside the jeans is frequently used with this look. Women in the United States preferred this style of jeans until the early 2000s when lower-rise jeans became fashionable.
In the 2010s, mom jeans were again popular among young fashionable ladies. Mom jeans have resurfaced in the wardrobes (and hearts) of females worldwide.
The mom jeans’ rebirth couldn’t have come at a better moment, given the burgeoning gender acceptance and feminine equality initiatives.
In the 1960s, hippie culture’s hip-hugger bell bottoms became a trend, due in part to celebrities, and by the 1970s, they were everywhere, with high waist front pockets and high flares, but by the time punk bands like the Ramoner burst up, denim had evolved significantly. Denim was cut skinnier and with a lot more holes.
Punk predicted the popular pegleg Jean of the 1980s and 1990s. These are the actual originators of mom jeans.
What is Girlfriend Jeans?
Girlfriend jeans have a slim straight leg fit and sit higher on the hips. The girlfriend style is designed to embrace your curves and show off your shape while emulating the boyfriend style.
A floral blouse loosely tucked in and a fabulous pair of pumps will up the femme fatale factor or go business casual with a printed shell, a structured blazer, and flats.
The way girlfriend jeans fit on the waist is also determined by the brand. They can be normally lower in the waist, unlike boyfriend jeans, although they are higher.
As a general rule, they should have a higher waist, slimmer hips, larger area between the feet, and a straighter, more streamlined leg shape.
various shirts and shoes to create a variety of looks from a single pair of jeans. Wear your girlfriend jeans with a huge T-shirts shirt or blouses folded in the front for a clean and relaxed look.
They will look fantastic in a belt with a huge buckle or trademark design.
You can add a trench coat to your white t-shirt for a rebel look, or a flowery or gentle top and a coat to your jeans to make it nicer plus ready for meetings or a milder workplace day. Shoes such as sports shoes, loafers, stiletto, and suede boots are all wonderful options.
Their huge, curved feet are lower legs, but they possess pre-rolled or bindable sleeves as well.
Main Differences Between Mom Jeans and Girlfriend Jeans
- Mom jeans normally have a high waist, which makes your buttocks look thicker and more attractive Whereas girlfriend jeans have a shortened narrow plain leg and a classic fit that is sleek and wider on the hip.
- Mom jeans fit a wider range of people, regardless of height, and are far more flexible Whereas girlfriend jeans are less flexible.
- Mom jeans are high-waisted and loose in the buttocks whereas girlfriend jeans have a relaxed waistline and are a touch baggy.
- Mom jeans are made of thin cotton fabric with a sky blue wash, which adds to their relaxation whereas The girlfriend jean material is thicker, similar to boyfriend jeans, and it could be faded or torn.
- Mom jeans rest at the waist, offering them extra relaxed and attractive on a variety of body types Whereas girlfriend jeans need more time and effort if you want a clean, comfortable look.
Last Updated : 31 August, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.