Mushrooms and Toadstool appear to be the same. They belong to the fungi family and have an umbrella-shaped fruiting body.
- “Mushroom” is a term used to describe any fleshy, spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus, while “toadstool” refers to a poisonous or inedible mushroom.
- “mushroom” and “toadstool” are not scientific classifications and can vary by region and culture.
- Eating a toadstool can lead to severe illness or even death, while most mushrooms are safe and nutritious.
Mushroom vs Toadstool
The difference between mushrooms and toadstools lies in their nature and composition. Mushrooms are edible, whereas toadstools are inedible. One species of fungi offers numerous health benefits, and the other poses a threat to health because of its poisonous nature.
Mushrooms are non-poisonous edible fungi. It comes in more than 500 varying compositions and nutritional benefits. They contain antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
Toadstool belongs to the kingdom of fungi. They are called inedible fungi. They are not eaten due to their poisonous nature.
|Parameters of Comparison||Mushroom||Toadstool|
|Growth||Mushrooms are grown in lawns, fields, and forests. With modern technology, they are also made to grow indoors.||Toadstools generally grew under trees, wood, or shrubs.|
|Edibility||They are generally edible and non-poisonous.||They are inedible as well as poisonous.|
|Color||Their stem or cap may be brown or white.||Their stem or cap may be blue, yellow, red, or green|
|Health benefits||They are rich in nutrients and offer several health benefits.||They are poisonous and hence cannot be eaten.|
|Production||Mushrooms are commercially produced as they are safe to eat.||Toadstools are not commercially produced as their intake may cause illness.|
What is Mushroom?
The word mushroom is connected with fungi having a stem, a cap, and gills. The fungal development of mushrooms may be defined as generally taking the appearance of a dome cap on a tree with gills at the base of the Cap.
Mushrooms have many health benefits. Some categories of mushrooms are used in making herbal medicines that help in boosting the immune system.
There are several types of mushrooms, some of which are:
- Button mushrooms: They are called white mushrooms or baby mushrooms. They are the most readily available mushrooms in the market. They are used in seasoning, toppings, and sauces.
- Oyster mushrooms: Oyster mushrooms are known for their magical health benefits. There are 40 different types of oyster mushrooms available all around the globe.
- Hedgehog mushrooms: Delicious and rich in flavour, these mushrooms are also known as sweet tooth mushrooms. They are of an irregular shape.
Other types of varieties of mushrooms include cremini mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms, chanterelle mushrooms, porcini mushrooms, etc.
What is Toadstool?
Toadstool refers to the sporous fruit body of a fungus, in the shape of a spherical cap on a stalk. It constitutes a category of mushrooms, but not all mushrooms are toadstool.
Scientifically, there are no major differences in the appearance of mushrooms and toadstools.
Toadstools are uniquely beautiful. The poisonous mushrooms are given the name toadstools. Some of the deadliest toadstools are:
- Amanita ocreata: It is also called the angel of death. This category of a toadstool is found in California’s floristic provinces and the pacific northwest. Its symptoms appear in stages.
Stage 1: Consumption of it will not lead to any symptoms for 6-12 hours, and the person will feel healthy in this time frame.
Stage 2: In stage 2, Vomiting, stomach ache, and diarrhoea is experienced.
Stage 3: Liver damage, kidney failure happens in this stage.
The chance of surviving from the intake of this death angel is extremely rare.
- Amanita virosa: Found in Europe, this toadstool is known as destroying angel. They appear from July to September. It contains amatoxins, a poisonous substance that may lead to the death of a person.
There are many other poisonous toadstools found all around the globe.
Main Differences Between Mushroom and Toadstool
- Some mushrooms may be poisonous, and some may be edible, whereas all toadstools are poisonous, varying from mildly to deadly poisonous.
- Examples of mushrooms are porcini mushrooms, chanterelle mushrooms, button mushrooms, mycorrhizal mushrooms, etc.,
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.