Jewelry plays an important role when it comes to making a fashion statement. Jewelry or ornaments not just make an attire look more eye-catching but also make the person who is wearing ornaments look more presentable.
There are several different types of jewelry that serve different purposes, such as earrings for ears, hair clips for hair, nose rings for nose, bracelets for wrists, anklets for ankles, and so on. When it comes to jewelry for the neck, there are multiple options.
Necklace and choker are two of the most popular jewelry options when it comes to jewelry for the neck.
- Necklaces are longer and drape below the collarbone, while chokers are shorter and fit tightly around the neck.
- Necklaces can be worn with various necklines and outfits, while chokers are more suitable for specific necklines and styles.
- Necklaces can be made of various materials, while chokers are often made of velvet, leather, or other soft materials.
Necklace vs Choker
A necklace is a longer piece of jewelry that usually falls below the collarbone. It can be made of various materials like gold, silver, beads, pearls, or diamonds. A choker, is a type of necklace that fits tightly around the neck. It is made of materials such as velvet, ribbon, or leather.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
A necklace is one of the most general types of ornament for the neck. Moreover, a necklace is one of the most prominent types of jewelry or ornament which has been worn by people for centuries.
A choker was one of the most popular neck ornaments in the 2010s. During those times, many film celebrities and other popular people wore chokers which helped chokers gain a lot of popularity.
From subtle chain chokers to chunky chokers, they always made a fashion statement during those times.
|Parameters of comparison||Necklace||Choker|
|Worn look||Necklaces are worn loosely around the neck.||Chokers are worn tightly around the neck|
|Material||They are majorly made up of metal.||They are either made up of metal or fabric.|
|Length available||Necklaces can be available in different lengths||Chokers are available in a fixed-length only.|
|Length||Necklaces are longer as compared to chokers.||Chokers are shorter in length as compared to necklaces.|
|Stretchability||Not stretchable||Might or might not be stretchable|
|Front look||U-shape or V-shape||Semi-circle shape|
What is a Necklace?
In simple words, it can be said that a necklace is a piece of ornament that is worn loosely around the neck.
People generally wear a necklace for several different purposes, such as fashion purposes, religious purposes, ceremonial purposes, and other such purposes.
A necklace has a lot of varieties in it depending upon which type of necklace also differs. Moreover, many people believe that a necklace portrays a sign of wealth, prosperity, and wellness.
The most basic idea of making a necklace is a string having multiple beads or gems embedded in it. The string or the cord of a necklace can be made out of several different types of metals such as steel, gold, silver, platinum, bronze, and more.
Moreover, beads that can be embedded on the necklace can be of different types as well.
Some of the beads or gems which are prominently used in the making of necklaces could be diamonds, pearls, shells, emeralds, rubies, sapphires, and other such gems.
Necklaces are available in several different lengths. Depending upon the length of the necklace, they are classified into different categories.
Different categories of necklaces depending upon their length are collar length necklaces, choker length necklaces, the princess necklace, matinee necklaces, opera necklaces, rope necklaces, and lariat necklaces.
What is Choker?
A choker is another ornament that is worn around, however, it differs from the necklace in terms of length. The length of a choker is much shorter as compared to a necklace and it can be characterized by just looking at it.
A choker sticks around the neck instead of hanging like a necklace.
A choker can either be breathable or not breathable. If a choker is made of up metal, such as gold, silver, platinum, or steel, then the choker is made breathable because these metals are not stretchable.
On the other hand, if the choker is made up of fabric such as velvet or leather then the choker is not supposed to be breathable because these materials are already stretchable.
Apart from that, a choker can also include beads or gems. On average, the length of a choker is equal to about a minimum of 14 inches to a maximum of 16 inches.
Choker is major of two different types, that is a metal choker and a fabric choker. A metallic choker is generally worn with formal attire. On the other hand, a fabric choker is generally worn with casual attire.
Main Differences Between Necklace and Choker
- A necklace is worn loosely around the neck. On the other hand, a choker is worn tightly around the neck.
- A necklace is majorly made up of metal, such as silver, gold, platinum. Whereas, a necklace is majorly made up of either fabric or metal.
- A necklace is not stretchable. On the contrary, a choker can be either non-stretchable or stretchable.
- A necklace shows either a U shape or a V shape when seen from the front. On the other hand, a choker shows a semi-circle shape when seen from the front.
- Necklaces are available in several different options depending upon their length. In the case of chokers, only a fixed length is available.
- A necklace is longer as compared to the length of the choker. Whereas, the length of the choker is short as compared to the length of a necklace.
- A necklace always has breathing space. On the other hand, a choker might or might not have breathing space.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.