At the dawn of the 19th century, Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet ushered the concept of BMI. BMI is Body Mass Index, weight to height ratio.
Obesity and morbid obesity center around BMI. Jeffery Friedman gave us insight into the genetic framework of obesity in the 1990s.
- Obesity is a medical condition characterized by excessive body fat, while morbid obesity is more severe, causing significant health risks.
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 to 34.9 classifies as obesity, but a BMI of 40 or higher indicates morbid obesity.
- Morbid obesity can lead to life-threatening health conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers, compared to obesity, which poses fewer immediate risks.
Obesity vs Morbid Obesity
Obesity is a lifestyle disorder characterised by a high body fat percentage and a body mass index of 30-39. It is caused as the results of lifestyle and genetic factors where excess calories are consumed with low energy expenditure. Morbid obesity is a fatal lifestyle disorder characterised by a body mass index over 40. It increases the risk of death, heart diseases and breathlessness.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
The imbalance in calorie intake and expenditure results in obesity. When our body spends lesser energy than we consume, it deposits in the body as fat.
And excess fat accumulation leads to obesity.
Obesity statistically increased over the last few years. The increase in the number was shocking. More than a million people fall under the trap of obesity.
It results from genetic and other factors that have been elaborately discussed throughout the article.
Morbid obesity is the stage after obesity. It is the worst state of an obese person. It gets harder as the BMI reaches 40 and more.
Our movements become restricted.
We lose the balance of our system. People with morbid obesity are believed to be at a higher risk of health issues. Professionals came out with surgery that can initiate fat loss.
There are no proven methods to cure morbid obesity. Thus this has acquired the term chronic.
Weight loss drugs are available in the market that gives the desired result. None of them is encouraged without any advice from experts.
|Parameters Of Comparison||Obesity||Morbid Obesity|
|Illustration||Steep acceleration in body weight resulting in BMI above 30.||The sharp increase in fat percentage and BMI above 40.|
|BMI||Ranges from 30 to 39||Above 40|
|Fatality rate||The risk factor is comparatively low||Highly fatal, evidence of uncertain cardiac arrest.|
|Metabolism||The low range of motion in activities. High BMR.||Least range of motion, more difficulty in constant intake of breath. Higher BMR.|
|Treatment||Adapting healthy lifestyle, including physical activity||Undergoes surgery (bariatric), weight loss drugs.|
What is Obesity?
Obesity is a stage of acute fat storage in our body, excessive gain in weight. An obese person has a BMI above 30.
When body fat percentage goes ahead of 20 percent, a person undergoes obesity.
Some of the evident factors are as follows
- Psychological factors
Leptin, a hormone extracted by the fat cells is found more in an obese person.
An obese man is prone to diseases listed below
- Pulmonary disease
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Gall bladder disease
- Gynecological disease
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension
- Coronary heart disease
Obesity is treated with strict lifestyle adaptation and application. Few ways as mentioned down
- Abiding by a balanced diet: No fad diets, educating oneself about our own body through trial and error. Knowing what works for our metabolism and adapting a diet plan accordingly. Consult a professional.
- Physical activities: HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), LIIT (Low-Intensity Interval Training), yoga, aerobics, strength training, etc.
- Weight loss drugs.
Statistics depict 42.4% of obesity in the united states among adults. Men and women have falls in the category. The survey was initiated in the year 2017- 18.
The results have surpassed the analytics of 1999 -2000. Individuals of age 20 and above fall under the category.
What is Morbid Obesity?
An obese person has a certain range of BMI, individuals exceeding the range fall under morbid obesity. They have a BMI above 40.
J. J. Payne and DeWind presented the name ‘morbid obesity. It was in 1963.
A person weighing 100 pounds more than a normal individual has morbid obesity. Morbid obesity is the advanced stage of obesity, the mortality rate is higher than an obese person.
Eating disorders, mental imbalance, genetic mutations, and our surroundings are responsible for morbid obesity.
Continuos stress tear down the cardiac system and results in uncertain cardiac arrest. Aches in joints, lack of breath, the challenge in the movement are acknowledged.
Few weight loss drugs
These are the basic names of some weight loss drugs, they are not addressed for your use without any professional advice.
Endoscopic gastric balloon placement, new technology to treat an obese person. Once you are aware of the surgery and the consequences you are decent to make a decision.
Morbid obesity constitutes 9.2% of the adult population in the united states. Women were larger in number in the survey.
The maximum to minimum ratio was 59 to 40. The survey took place in the year 2017- 18.
Main Differences Between Obesity and Morbid Obesity
- The body mass index (BMI) lies between 30 to 39 in an obese person. Morbid obesity has a BMI of as much as 40 and above.
- An obese person has high BMR. An individual with morbid obesity has a higher BMR.
- We can check obesity with adequate lifestyle changes, moderate activities, and medical consultants. Morbid obesity requires bariatric surgery or weight loss drugs.
- An obese person undergoes challenges in freedom of movement. Morbid obesity cause stress on the heart leads to heart- attack.
- A person suffering from this chronic disease (morbid obesity) has a higher rate of mortality.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.