In various spots such as writing a research paper, we look and pull selective data from various sources as it assists in supporting our theme. we tend to sometimes try this by either paraphrasing or summarizing information from these sources.
On one hand, Paraphrasing is after you place the concepts of another writer into your own words.
On the other hand, Summarizing is after you use your own words to extend the key points or main arguments of the initial text, considerably reducing its length.
The difference between paraphrasing and summarizing is that Paraphrasing means to write any content in your own words and is sort of the same in size or somewhat like the initial text whereas summarizing is mentioning solely the most points of any work in your own words and is considerably shorter than the initial.
Comparison Table Between Paraphrasing and Summarizing
|Parameter of Comparison||Paraphrasing||Summarizing|
|Definition||Paraphrasing is writing any specific text in your own words||summarizing is mentioning solely the most points of any add your own words.|
|Text size||Paraphrasing is sort of same in size or somewhat like the initial text||summarizing is considerably shorter than the initial.|
|When to use||You use paraphrasing after you take notes, or make a case for a chart or diagram to somebody. Paraphrasing helps highlight the necessary components of a bigger text. It additionally permits you to change the concepts for your readers.||An outline/summary permits you to require a bigger portion of the text, if not the complete document, and discuss mostly the main concepts and themes in a very few sentences. It’s useful to summarize after you wish to give your reader background data on a text while not having to give an excessive amount of detail.|
What is Paraphrasing?
Paraphrasing can be defined as understanding a given text in order to decode it in one’s original words in such a way that the meaning of the initial text is not changed. This means removal of repeating of text in any type.
In simple language, paraphrasing is like grasping the concept of a few topics from another writer’s work then remodeling it into your own way of thoughts and words. Paraphrased material is sort of similar or slightly shorter compared to the initial material.
Paraphrasing is needed typically to prove your purpose or point. It enhances the material by supporting it, adding credibility and depth to your work.
It is usually used:
- When another writer’s work needs to be used for your writing.
- When quotes don’t seem to be utilized in the text.
- When the concepts have a bigger relevancy than the fashion of writing.
- When you wish to easy out the work of another person for better understanding.
What is Summarizing?
Summarizing is the tool in writing that is employed in case you require the main point or plan of the text. it’s a reduced form of writing in your own words with just the highlights of the text. The outline is way shorter than the initial text. It throws out the explanation or reason for the text. Only the main points or the basic data is included.
In simple language, Summarizing is used to point to those writings or contents that show the main point of the initial or current writing that you are working on. it’s typically used after you wish to draw attention to a crucial point. Moreover, in cases where you want to distance yourself from the initial text, summarizing is the best option to choose.
It is usually used:
- When only the chief concepts of the author are to be known.
- When only an outline of the full work is needed.
- When simplification is needed.
- When only the chief highlights of the work have to be summarised.
Main Differences Between Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Paraphrasing refers to producing a specific content in your own words whereas summarizing is mentioning just referring and adding the main points.
- Paraphrasing is sort of the same in size or somewhat like the initial text whereas summarizing is considerably shorter than the initial.
- You use paraphrasing after you take notes, or make a case for a chart or diagram to somebody. Paraphrasing helps highlight the necessary components of a bigger text whereas A summary permits you to require a bigger portion of the text, if not the complete document, and discuss mostly the main concepts and themes in a very few sentences.
- Paraphrasing could also be done in the aim of simplifying the initial work whereas summarizing is done to show just the key points with no reasonable explanation regarding the matter.
- While paraphrasing, it’s vital to avoid plagiarism and create your text or document of additional quality and original. While summarizing, As the concepts or themes come from the author, you continue to acknowledge the author for his or her concepts. Giving him or her credit is necessary.
As Paraphrasing and summarizing are very connected terms, individuals do get confused and consider them as the same.
Paraphrasing and summarizing both help in writing a good and effective essay. These are absolutely required while handling scientific ideas.
It is important to note that paraphrasing and summarizing is applicable if credit is given to the initial source or writer. The world should be plagiarism free and can’t be traced
Table of Contents