Many construction businesses and contractors regularly renovate or structure buildings. There are many building tools that are part of the entire process and this is where the difference between Sheetrock and Drywall should be noted.
The 2 are not similar and there are considerable differences between them that need to be figured out.
Comparing these two is comparing James Bond and a spy. This is one of the aptest analogies to describe the difference between these 2.
Drywall is used in the construction businesses during the building of a roof or walls of buildings and is pretty good at that.
Sheetrock vs Drywall
The main difference between Sheetrock and Drywall is that Sheetrock is a brand name while Drywall is a generic name. This means that the 2 are not the same in any case. While it is a fact that there are many other brands of Drywall present and each has its own characteristic.
Comparison Table Between Sheetrock and Drywall
|Parameter of Comparison||Sheetrock||Drywall|
|Name||This is a brand name, ie, Sheetrock is a company that builds the material ‘Drywall’ and other products.||It is a generic name, ie, a substance that is manufactured to be used in construction.|
|Composition||Sheetrock does not contain sulfur and is, therefore, trusted by many people.||Many other brands of Drywall do contain sulfur is bad for health and construction purposes.|
|History||The company started the production of Sheetwall in the year 1917.||Sacket board was invented in 1884 and since many types have come up.|
|Types||Regular core panels, sag-resistant, ultra code core, abuse-resistance are some of the great types of Sheetrock.||Fire-resistant, 1/4″ to 3/4″thickness, cement board, soundproof drywall are all types of Drywall.|
|Other names||No other names as it is a brand.||Gyprock, gypsum board, interior walls, wallboard|
What is Sheetrock?
Sheetrock is one of the very trusted drywall companies and the material is a good quality Drywall that is used in the construction of walls and ceilings.
Because of the popularity of the material, it is now common mistaken as a Drywall nowadays but, the 2 are very different which is quite visible.
The thing is that only the US Gypsum Company has got the right to market its Drywall product as Sheetrock.
This is because the material that is used by the company in the manufacture of Sheetrock makes it unique and is therefore patented in the name of the company.
But, there are many other companies like Sheetrock too. Sheetrock is more of a substitute for the obsolete and ineffective lath and plaster that was used in the construction of walls and hence, it is considered quite good for the purpose of construction.
What is Drywall?
Drywall is a generic name. This means that it is the name of the material that is used in the construction of walls and ceilings.
In short, it can be said that Drywall is a panel that is a gypsum plaster that can be seen sandwiched between thick paper.
This is how it is used in the construction of walls and ceilings.
There are many companies all over the world that make products related to Drywall like the above-mentioned US Gypsum Company. National Gypsum Company, Allied Manufacturing, etc.
There are many names that this product comes with. One can also call it as wallboard, gypsum board, etc.
While the chemical composition remains the same for all Drywall products, the game changes when it comes to the quantity of sulfur for, sulfur is an additive that damages the quality of Drywall.
It is also not good for health and such products are not considered during construction.
Main Differences Between Sheetrock and Drywall
- Sheetrock is the name of the brand under which the US Gypsum Company sells its Drywall product and it is so much used that it is commonly misplaced with Drywall. This is one of the reasons why there is so much confusion. Drywall is a generic name, ie, it the chemical product that is used in the manufacture of walls and ceilings and Sheetrock is just a brand.
- Sheetrock’s chemical composition is similar to all other types of Drywall. There are many other Drywall manufacturers in the market too. But, Sheetrock stands out because there is no sulfur in the entire product. This means that when considering the health of people and construction quality, sulfur is harmful. Since Sheetrock has no sulfur, it is trusted.
- The US Gypsum Company started the manufacture of Sheetrock in the year 1917 and since then, the product has been in circulation. If we consider the material Drywall, it goes way back to the 19th century, in the year 1884 when the first sacket board was developed. Thereafter, the gypsum board evolved in the years 1910-1930 with the popularity of Sheetrock.
- Regular core panels, sag-resistant, ultra code core, abuse-resistance are some of the great types of Sheetrock. Since it is a brand, its varieties are limited and all the varieties Sheetrock or any other brand produces are included in any variety of Drywall like fire-resistant, 1/4″ to 3/4″thickness, cement board, soundproof drywall.
- Sheetrock has no other name as it is patented and has only one unique name. Drywall on the other hand can be called Gyprock, gypsum board, interior walls, or wallboard.
It can be said that Drywall is a great product when it comes to construction purposes and it is quite effective too.
This is where the product Sheetrock has developed its reputation for being one of the most trusted and efficient brand names that have existed in the construction world.
Drywall is greatly effective in building walls and ceilings but, due to the regular use of Sheetrock, people often misplace the two.
While the two terms are very much different in many aspects, the line that separates them from each other is quite thin due to the presence of innumerable similarities too.
But, it is a fact that the usage of these 2 words cannot be interchanged.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
Table of Contents