In today’s world, people are concerned about how they appear and how they look to the public and society. They are really sensitive about the size, figure, weight, and fat ratio in their bodies.
Keeping in shape not only helps people to be confident but also eliminates various health issues in the body. Two ways to keep in shape are through weight loss and fat loss.
Weight Loss vs Fat Loss
The difference between weight loss and fat loss is that weight loss refers to the overall decrease or reduction in the weight of a person by way of muscle weight loss, decreasing weight by reducing water ratio in our body, or by losing weight through the reduction in the fat proportion of one’s body while fat loss refers to the simple decrease in the body fat ratio of an individual. Weight loss is a vast concept that includes other components, while fat loss is narrower and more specific.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Weight loss is a type of loss that helps reduce the overall weight of a person by reducing the water content in their body, toning muscles to get rid of excessive muscles, or reducing the fat ratio in their body.
Weight loss can be achieved with the help of medicine, maintaining a proper diet, or because of malnutrition.
Fat loss refers to getting rid of the excess fat that a body contains. Fat loss has proven beneficial in getting rid of or eliminating various other illnesses such as diabetes, cancer, heart attacks, etc.
Fat loss is a specific type of weight loss that most people want to achieve. Fat loss is more specific and cannot be obtained just by exercising. One has to focus on the utmost details as to what their diet plan is, what the nutritional content is in their diet plan, etc.
|Parameters of Comparison||Weight Loss||Fat Loss|
|Definition||Weight Loss refers to getting rid of the overall weight of a person by eliminating excess muscles, fluid, etc.||Fat Loss refers to eliminating the extra fat in our body.|
|Concept||Weight Loss is a wide concept and is inclusive of fat loss.||Fat Loss is a limited concept and is more specific and well-focused.|
|Components||Weight Loss includes losing of weight by losing fat, fluid and muscles in our body.||Fat Loss is only concerned with losing fat.|
|Types||Weight Loss is of two types, i.e., Intentional and unintentional.||Fat Loss does not have any type.|
|Tools||Weight Loss is measured by using a weighing scale.||Fat Loss is measured by using anthropometric measurements.|
What is Weight Loss?
Weight loss is a type of weight loss that involves lowering a person’s overall weight by reducing their body’s water content, toning muscles to get rid of surplus muscles, or lowering their body’s fat ratio.
Weight loss can occur as a result of medical intervention, adherence to a healthy diet, or malnourishment. Weight loss is further divided into two types based on the way it is lost.
- Intentional Weight Loss – Intentional Weight Loss refers to the loss of weight by making a substantial effort to reduce one’s body mass or fluid content by taking medicine, doing regular exercises, maintaining a weight loss diet, etc. It is seen that weight loss is mostly caused by people facing obesity. Although weight loss can help people get rid of some diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, etc., it is not usually considered healthy.
- Unintentional Weight Loss – Unintentional refers to the type of weight loss that happens even when people do not desire or strive to lose weight. This may happen due to some sort of illness, making the body mechanism not be able to take in every bit of nutrition that the food supplies or because of a lack of proper food quality and quantity in the diet plan.
What is Fat Loss?
It should be noted that many people mistake weight loss for fat loss. Fat loss is the process of removing excess fat from one’s body. Fat loss has been shown to help people get rid of or prevent diseases, including diabetes, cancer, and heart attacks.
Most individuals aim to lose fat, which is a specific sort of weight loss. Fat loss is more specialized and cannot be achieved only through exercise.
One must pay close attention to the smallest aspects, such as what their diet plan is, what nutritious content it has, and so on. Research has shown that even by losing a tiny bit of fat, there are several health benefits, such as
- Increase blood flow circulation – Losing fat proportion can highly increase the blood flow in our body. Increased blood flow helps our body to get a good supply of oxygen, thus, maintaining the body temperature and increasing the efficiency of vital organs of our body.
- Better sleep pattern – Losing fat increases blood flow. As a result, it also affects people’s sleeping patterns.
There are numerous ways a person can lose fat, i.e., by
- Exercising – A calculative amount of exercise can help lose fat from our body by burning the extra amount calories in our body.
- Bicycling, or cycling, is another way of losing fat. It not only is a fun activity to do with other people or by yourself, but it also helps increase the working pattern of our hearts.
Main Differences Between Weight Loss and Fat Loss
- Weight loss refers to the loss of weight by a human being by the measure of getting rid of excess fat, muscles, or fluid content in their body, while fat loss is the loss of fat proportion in their body.
- Weight loss is a vast concept that is inclusive of fat loss, whereas fat loss is more specific and focuses only on getting rid of the fat ratio in our bodies.
- Weight loss includes losing extra fat, toning muscles, and reducing water in our body, while fat loss includes only and only loss of fat.
- Weight loss is divided into two types based on the way of loss, i.e., intentional weight loss and unintentional weight loss. However, fat loss does not have any such division.
- Weight loss can be calculated easily by comparing the weights of an individual before and after a period and finding the difference between them. This is the weight loss. While fat loss or the fat ratio of a human being needs to be calculated using a chart,
- Weight loss is calculated using a weight scale machine, while fat loss is calculated using anthropometric measurements.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.