For sharing large files, videos, music, TV shows, and other such content, the regular applications take too much time or don’t work. Such files are efficiently transferred, shared, and downloaded with the help of their specific torrenting software.
BitTorrent Inc owns uTorrent and BitTorrent. These are the world’s top-most used adware torrents. Both allow users to download software and connect with the file owners peer-to-peer.
- uTorrent and BitTorrent are two distinct software programs that allow peer-to-peer file sharing through the BitTorrent protocol.
- uTorrent is a proprietary program with a user-friendly interface that offers more advanced features, whereas BitTorrent is an open-source program with a simpler interface.
- uTorrent provides faster downloads with efficient use of system resources, while BitTorrent provides more flexibility in customization and integration with other software.
Difference Between uTorrent and BitTorrent
The difference between uTorrent and BitTorrent is their approaches. uTorrent is a client company of BitTorrent. While BitTorrent is the parent company of around 25 torrenting adware.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Although uTorrent provides unlimited file sharing, it has the risk of malware, and more often, ads keep showing up, which slowdowns its performance and working speed. So, it is more useful at a time of less sharing.
Importantly, adware has frequent releases and occupies less space. So, mostly it is used on a small approach. Whereas BitTorrent is secured and doesn’t spam ads. It also works faster than its client uTorrent. So, it is a broader approach with faster speed.
Comparison Table for uTorrent vs BitTorrent
|Parameter of Comparison||uTorrent||BitTorrent|
|Description||uTorrent was founded in 2005 as adware and has been owned by BitTorrent since 2006.||BitTorrent was founded in 2001 as adware; it also owns uTorrent. The abbreviation is ‘BT.’|
|Created by||Ludvig Strigeus created it.||Bram Cohen and David Harrison co-created it.|
|Co-relation||Client company of BitTorrent.||Parent Company of uTorrent.|
|Approach||Small approach as it’s just a client company.||Broader approach as it is the owner of around 25 torrenting firms.|
|Updates||It distributes Alpha and Beta updates regularly.||It distributes Stable updates, and not very often.|
|Market Share||68.6% of the market it rules.||The 6.6% market is secondly covered by it.|
|Popularity||Most of the market is owned by uTorrent, which is more popular than BitTorrent.||BitTorrent is the second most to rule the market.|
|Downloads||It downloads slower than BitTorrent.||It downloads faster than uTorrent.|
|Linux OS||It does support Linux OS with its Web Version.||It does not support Linux OS.|
|Security||uTorrent has the risk of malware.||BitTorrent does not have malicious risks.|
|Ads||More risky.||Lesser and more secure than uTorrent and well-managed.|
|Software Size||Up to 1 MB space it takes.||3 MB space it requires.|
|Android Application Space||51 MB is the size of the application.||The application is 67 MB.|
|Languages Availability||Available in 67 languages all around the world.||It is available in 17 languages.|
What is uTorrent?
uTorrent is a licensed Ad-supportive software created by Ludvig Strigeus and released by him on 18th September 2005. Later it was owned by BitTorrent Inc. From 7th December 2006.
Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Android devices are compatible with uTorrent. The Web version even supports Linux OS. It gives the classic torrenting experience to its users.
This BitTorrent client is accessible in around 67 languages in the world. That is why in the first place, it is the most popular and used torrent. It has engaged the world’s 68.6% of the market.
The uTorrent app offers Web, Basic, Ad-Free, Pro, Pro + VPN products. The software takes less than 1MB of space and reduces CPU drainage. It is a small approach because it works slower than BitTorrent. It also has more ads that might be carrying risks of malware.
What is BitTorrent?
BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer folder-sharing software created by Bram Cohen and David Harrison in 2001. The abbreviation of this communication protocol is BT. It is a broader approach. It also forms several minor content requests across various IP networks to multiple devices.
BitTorrent Inc supports only Windows, macOS, and Android devices. It gives high-quality resolutions for downloads and sharing. The transmission speed of the application is faster, and simultaneously, it is the most secure adware.
These qualities make it more popular, ranking second in the market by covering 6.6%.
It helps to share digital audio and video content like music, TV shows, video files, and similar large folders. It is available in 17 languages. BitTorrent offers product plans like BT Web, BT Classic, BT Ad-Free, BT Pro, and BT Pro + VPN.
It is the owner of the following torrent adware: uTorrent, BitTorrent, Miro, Robert, Transmission, BitLord, Deluge, FlashGet, Tribler, Tonido, Free Download Manager, BitComet, K Torrent, Lftp, MLDonkey, Opera 12, rTorrent, Shareaza, FrostWire, Tixati, Vuze, BitTorrent, LimeWire, Xunlei, KGet, etc.
Main Differences Between uTorrent and BitTorrent
- The approach of uTorrent is smaller than BitTorrent as it’s a client.
- uTorrent is a client company, but BitTorrent is a parent company that is a torrent and has many subsidiary torrents.
- uTorrent releases update more often as Beta or Alpha versions. Conversely, BitTorrent releases stable versions fewer times.
- The software size of uTorrent is just 1 MB, and BitTorrent’s is 3 MB.
- uTorrent is more popular with 68.6% of market coverage, and BitTorrent is less popular than it with 6.6% of the market.
- When it comes to security, uTorrent is less secure than BitTorrent.
- The web version of uTorrent supports Linux OS. On the other hand, BitTorrent does not.
- Ads are available more often on uTorrent and are sometimes risky. On the contrary, BitTorrent manages ads and is secured.
- The uTorrent is available in 67 languages, whereas BitTorrent is available in 17 languages.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.