Electric current can be either alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC). In AC power, the current switches sides— forward as well as backward–regularly.
The direct current, from the other end, flows in a specific direction and is constant. The orientation wherein electrons flow is the primary distinction amongst AC and DC.
- AC generators produce alternating currents, while DC generators produce direct currents.
- AC generators are more suitable for long-distance power transmission than DC generators, commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.
- AC generators require less maintenance than DC generators due to their simpler design and fewer moving parts.
AC Generator vs DC Generator
The difference between AC generators and DC generators is that AC is a safe way to transport electricity over longer distances, even among cities. DC, on the other hand, cannot move very far. It loses its ability to generate electricity. Also, the shift in the direction of current flows is caused by rotating magnetism.
A machine that transforms mechanical power into electrical power is known as an AC generator. These generators are classified as AC or DC, depending on the power source.
The electromechanical source for DC manufacturing is one way, but for an AC producer, it is the other way around.
A DC generator is a type of electrical device that converts mechanical heat into electricity. Depending on the electromagnetism concept of Faraday’s Laws, the emf is formed when a conduit cuts magnetic flux.
Whenever the conductor switch is complete, this induced emf can enable current flows.
|Parameters of Comparison
|As the name suggests, AC Generator creates AC electric power out of mechanical energy.
|A DC Generator produces DC electric power out of mechanical energy.
|In terms of maintenance, an AC Generator’s maintenance is minimal, making it more reliable than that of a DC generator.
|A DC Generator requires a very consistent maintenance system for its working mechanism.
|Slip-rings have smoother, continuous surfaces that enable the brushes to make continuous contact also with slip ring edges. As a result, the bristles don’t really wear out as rapidly as they would in a DC generator, so there is virtually no risk of a fault current.
|Since commutators, as well as bristles, burn out so quickly in DC Generators, sizzling might induce a short circuit inside the commutator.
|Distribution of Voltage
|The Transformers’ usage makes it simple to transmit AC voltage in AC Generators.
|DC voltage is more difficult to share effectively than AC voltage.
|Induction of Current
|Throughout an AC generator, the output current can be either induced in the stator or in the rotor.
|The output current of a DC generator could only be triggered inside the rotor.
What is AC Generator?
A mechanism that transforms mechanical power into electrical power is known as an AC generator. Steam turbines, gas turbines, as well as carbureted engines provide mechanical power towards the AC Generator’s input side.
Throughout the shape of switching voltage and current level, the result is oscillating electrical energy.
Faraday’s theory of electromagnetism asserts that e.m.f, or voltages, is produced in what seems like a current-carrying wire that penetrates a strong magnetic field. AC generators work on this principle.
Rotating conductive coils in a powerful magnetic field or changing the magnetism enclosing the static conductors can both be used to accomplish this.
Since it can extract inspired alternating current out of a static armature winding than that of a spinning armature coil, this is the recommended configuration.
The field is made up of conductor loops that collect electricity out from supply and generate magnetic flux.
The actuator is cut by the magnetic flux inside the region, which produces a voltage. That voltage seems to be the AC generator’s output power.
What is DC Generator?
A DC generator, also known as a direct current generator, seems to be an electrical machine whose primary purpose is to change mechanical energy onto DC (direct current) power.
The concept of the dynamically generated electromagnetic force is used in the power modification.
The schematic of a DC generator is illustrated below.
Depending just on the Electromagnetic Induction concept of Faraday’s Laws, whenever a conductor encounters magnetic flux, an actively driven electromagnetic force is formed in it.
Whenever the conducting circuit also isn’t opened, this induced emf might generate an electric current.
Without altering the structure, a DC generator can also be used as a DC motor. As a result, a DC motor, also known as a DC generator, can also be referred to as a DC machine.
Without altering the structure, a DC generator can also be utilized as a DC motor. As a result, a DC motor, also known as a DC generator, can also be referred to as a DC device.
Main Differences Between AC Generator and DC Generator
- Both types of generators operate on the same basic principle; however, the reason the current producing component is linked to the open load affects how the current flows through the circuit.
- There are no commutators used in AC generators, but they are used in DC generators to combat the issue of switching polarities. Also, AC generators produce extremely high volts, whereas DC generators produce comparatively low voltages.
- Smaller engines and electrical equipment in the home are powered by it. On the other hand, DC generators, on the other hand, are used to power extremely large electric engines, such as those used in subway lines.
- AC generators generate a high voltage with varying intensity and frequency. The frequency of the emission fluctuates. DC generators, on the other hand, create a low value as contrasted to AC generators, which generate a constant amplitude and duration, i.e., nearly zero output frequency.
- The coil whereby the current passes in an AC generator is stationary whilst the magnet is moved. The building is straightforward, and the prices are low. A DC generator, on the other hand, has a fixed domain whereby the current is flowing. Because of the commutators as well as slip rings, the general concept is simple; however, the assembly is complicated.
Last Updated : 17 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.