Two of the many websites that help people create family trees are Genealogy.com and Ancestry.com.
Many of the people are curious across the globe about who their forefathers are and what they were like, as well as whether or not we have any illustrious relatives.
These two websites were initially competitors. However, they were eventually consolidated under one parent business. As a result, there was less competition between them.
Ancestry.com vs Genealogy.com
The difference between Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com is that, compared to Genealogy.com, Ancestry.com is more expensive. Initially, these two websites were competitors of each other, but later they were merged under one parent company. Thus, the level of competition between them decreased.
Ancestry.com’s database includes not just the United States of America but also Ireland, Canada, Sweden, as well as some European, United Kingdom, and Asian countries.
The Ancestry.com website, with its vast and diverse database, can provide more detailed information. This website, on the other hand, has a record storage capacity of at least five billion records.
The Genealogy.com website’s database is extremely limited, covering only the United States of America. Due to its limited database, the Genealogy.com website cannot provide much in the way of detailed information.
Genealogy.com’s website is no longer operational. A&E Networks owns Genealogy.com, which is a research-focused website.
|Parameters of Comparison||Ancestry.com||Genealogy.com|
|Price and cost||Comparatively more expensive||Comparatively less expensive|
|Database covers||United States of America, Ireland, Canada, Sweden, and some countries of Europe, Asia and the UK.||The countries of the United States of America only.|
|Type of database||Huge and broader database||Limited database|
|Current state||Still running||Not running|
|About the website||A venture existing in Utah since 1983.||A research-based company, ownership retained by A&E Networks. MFamily.com bought it in 2003 and became a part of Ancestry.com.|
What is Ancestry.com?
Ancestry.com’s website is slightly more expensive than Genealogy.com’s. Ancestry.com’s database includes not just the United States of America but also Ireland, Canada, Sweden, as well as countries in Europe, the United Kingdom, and Asia.
Because of its large and diverse database, Ancestry.com can provide more detailed information.
Ancestry.com is still operational today, assisting millions and billions of individuals around the world through its vast database, which has information dating back to the 1790s. This website, on the other hand, contains at least five billion records.
Ancestry.com is a Utah-based company that has been around since 1983. Previously, though, this company was known as ‘The Generations Network.’ This website is a collection of websites that deal with family and ancestry-related topics.
What is Genealogy.com?
The website Genealogy.com is less expensive than its competitor, Ancestry.com. The Genealogy.com website’s database is strictly limited, and it does not cover countries other than the United States of America.
Due to its small database, the Genealogy.com website cannot provide much detailed information. Genealogy.com’s website is now unavailable.
The website was purchased by another company due to its inability to meet the demands and criteria of its clients.
A&E Networks retains ownership of Genealogy.com, which is a research-based website. However, in 2003, MFamily.com purchased Genealogy.com and became a part of the Ancestry.com website exclusively.
If a person does not know the facts about his ancestors, he is coached through the process and given instructions on how to do so. The user can create his own family tree and then update it as new information becomes available.
Main Differences Between Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com
- The website of Ancestry.com is comparatively more expensive than its counterpart, Genealogy.com. On the other hand, the Genealogy.com website is less expensive than its counterpart, the Ancestry.com website.
- The database of the website, Ancestry.com not only covers the United States of America but rather it also covers different other countries like Ireland, Canada, Sweden, and some countries of Europe, the UK and Asia. However, on the contrary, the database of the Genealogy.com website is strictly limited and does not cover other countries outside the United States of America, but the US only.
- More detailed information can be derived from the Ancestry.com website due to its huge and broader database. On the other hand, not much information in detail can be derived from the Genealogy.com website due to its limited database.
- In the current time, Ancestry.com is still running by helping millions and billions of people across the globe through its extensive database that stores information as old as the 1790s. However, this website stores around five billion records or more. On the other hand, the website of Genealogy.com is not working anymore. Due to its inability to meet the demands and requirements of its customers, the website was bought by some other company.
- Ancestry.com is a venture which has been in existence in Utah since 1983. However, before that, this company was known by a different name, that is ‘The Generations Network’. This website is an amalgamation of websites dealing with matters related to family and ancestry. On the other hand, Genealogy.com is a website that is research-based, and the ownership is retained by A&E Networks. However, the website MFamily.com bought the Genealogy.com website in 2003 and became a part of the Ancestry.com website only.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
I am Sandeep Bhandari; I have 20 years of experience in the technology field. I have various technical skills and knowledge in database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about me on my bio page.