Percocet and Oxycontin are opioid pain relievers in combination. They contain acetaminophen, a fever reducer, and a pain reliever, among other ingredients.
These medications differ in chemical composition and effects, despite having similar effects.
There are numerous kinds of pain, each affecting people in various ways. However, not all medicines react similarly to every individual. As a result, there are numerous drugs available to relieve pain.
- Percocet contains oxycodone and acetaminophen, while Oxycontin contains only oxycodone.
- Oxycontin has a time-release mechanism, providing pain relief for 8-12 hours, whereas Percocet offers relief for 4-6 hours.
- Doctors prescribe Percocet for moderate to severe pain, while Oxycontin is used for severe, chronic pain management.
Percocet vs Oxycontin
Percocet is a medication mixed with oxycodone and acetaminophen to help relieve pain and discomfort. Its effect can last up to 6 hours and it may cause dizziness, vomiting or nausea. Oxycontin is a strong opioid pain killer that manages severe pain. Its effect can last up to 12 hours and it may cause weakness, constipation or dry mouth.
Nausea, lightheadedness, constipation, vomiting, cough suppression, dizziness, slow breathing, sleepiness, impaired cardiac function, and sedation are some of the most common side effects of using Percocet if it is not used as prescribed.
Oxycontin is a type of pain reliever that is only used in the body. When OxyContin is taken for severe pain, it lasts 11 to 12 hours. Oxycontin has a lot more oxycodone than Percocet.
OxyContin contains absolutely no acetaminophen. Insomnia, weakness, nausea, constipation, headache, vomiting, dry mouth, sleepiness, changes in behaviour and mood, dizziness, and itching can occur if Oxycontin is not used as prescribed.
|Parameters of Comparison||Percocet||Oxycontin|
|As Pain Reliever||Not exclusively a pain reliever.||Exclusively a pain reliever.|
|Effect time||5-6 hours||11-12 hours|
|Amount of Oxycodone||5mg||Comparatively more|
|Common side Effects||Dizziness, slow breathing, drowsiness, nausea, lightheadedness, constipation, vomiting, cough suppression, reduced heart function and sedation.||Constipation, headache, insomnia, weakness, nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, drowsiness, changes in behaviour and mood, dizziness and itchiness.|
What is Percocet?
Percocet is a pain reliever that is widely used because of its ability to treat pain in any place of the body. Percocet has an impact that lasts for roughly five to six hours after consumption. Only five milligrammes of oxycodone are included in Percocet.
However, after ingesting the tablet, the entire amount of Oxycodone is released. Percocet contains acetaminophen as one of its active ingredients.
However, because of its presence in the medicine, it has the potential to make individuals sick if there is an excess of acetaminophen.
Nausea, lightheadedness, constipation, vomiting, cough suppression, dizziness, slow breathing, sleepiness, impaired cardiac function, and sedation are some of the usual side effects of using Percocet if it is not used as prescribed.
What is Oxycontin?
Oxycontin is a type of medication that is solely used to treat pain in the body. When OxyContin is consumed in the event of extreme pain, it lasts eleven to twelve hours.
The amount of oxycodone in Oxycontin is significantly higher than that in Percocet.
OxyContin does not include any acetaminophen. Side effects include insomnia, weakness, nausea, constipation, headache, vomiting, dry mouth, sleepiness, changes in behaviour and mood, dizziness, and itching if Oxycontin is not used as prescribed.
This class of pharmaceuticals is a collection of medications that all act in the same way and are frequently used to treat the same illnesses.
OxyContin and the immediate release of oxycodone bind to the spinal cord and brain receptors. They inhibit pain impulses and relieve pain by doing so.
Main Differences Between Percocet and Oxycontin
- Percocet is a type of drug which is extremely popular for its ability to relieve pain in any part of the body. On the other hand, Oxycontin is a kind of drug which is used exclusively for its capability to relieve pain occurring in the body.
- After consuming Percocet, its effect generally can be seen for about five to six hours. On the other hand, when OxyContin is eaten in case of severe pain, then it generally lasts for about eleven to twelve hours.
- The amount of oxycodone present in Percocet is only five milligrams. However, the whole amount of Oxycodone is released when after taking the pill. On the other hand, the amount of oxycodone present in Oxycontin is comparatively much more than that of its amount present in Percocet.
- Acetaminophen is present in Percocet as a part of its active ingredient. However, its presence in the drug can make people sick in case more acetaminophen is present. On the other hand, acetaminophen is not at all present in OxyContin.
- Some common side effects of taking Percocet, if not taken under the regulation, are nausea, lightheadedness, constipation, vomiting, cough suppression, dizziness, slow breathing, drowsiness, reduced heart function and sedation. On the other hand, if Oxycontin is not taken under regulation can cause side effects such as insomnia, weakness, nausea, constipation, headache, vomiting, dry mouth, drowsiness, changes in behaviour and mood, dizziness and itchiness.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.