Berreta is a privately owned firearms manufacturing company, initially held in Italy, and operates in several countries worldwide; one of the most trusted and oldest firearms manufacturers, headquartered in Val Trompia.
The company has a variety of handguns to offer, out of which two are widely demanded, namely the Beretta 92FS and Beretta M9.
- The Beretta 92FS is a civilian version of the M9 military handgun, with minor differences in design and materials.
- The Beretta M9 is a military handgun designed for the US Armed Forces and features a slightly shorter barrel than the Beretta 92FS.
- While both guns are similar in design and functionality, the Beretta 92FS is more commonly used by civilians, while the M9 is reserved for military use.
Beretta 92FS vs Beretta M9
Beretta 92FS is an autoloading automatic pistol with large magazine and 9mm caliber also called civilian version. Beretta M9 is a self-loading automatic pistol with a big capacity for bullets used by military designated officers and armed forces.
Beretta 92FS, designed and manufactured by Beretta of Italy, is a semi-automatic pistol. It was initially designed in 1975, and the official production of it started in 1976. It is designed to be light and handy with Black Brunton, a Black Synthetic Grip finish, and a white three-dot sight.
The ammunition capacity of Beretta 92FS is 10. Beretta M9 is also designed and Manufactured by Beretta and is used by the united states armed forces designated for Beretta 92F semi-automatic pistol.
It is a single-action, double-action, short recoil, semi-automatic pistol that uses a 15-round staggered box magazine with a reversible magazine release button that can be positioned for either left- or right-handed shooters.
|Parameter of Comparison||Beretta 92FS||Beretta M9|
|Designation||Beretta 92FS is a series of Beretta 92 semi-automatic pistol.||Beretta M9 is designated for Beretta 92F semi-automatic pistol.|
|Specification||The Beretta 92FS has a single front and 2 dot rear.||Beretta M9 has a single dot front sight and the rear has a half-circle in the center.|
|History||The 92FS evolved from the older Beretta models M1923 and M1951.||Beretta M9 was selected as a military specification of the US armed force in 1988.|
|User||Beretta 92Fs is used by Nepal’s Special Forces, Slovenia, and the Los Angeles Police Department within the United States, Armenia, and Malaysia.||Beretta M9 is used only by the United States Armed Forces for all its departments.|
|Frame||Beretta 92FS has a little less material on the frame below the beavertail.||Beretta M9 has comparatively more material around 1/6th below the beavertail.|
|Finishing||Beretta 92Fs has a standard finish of Black Brunton with a Black Synthetic Grip.||Beretta M9 has a standard finish of Blue, with a Synthetic Grip.|
What is Beretta 92FS?
Beretta 92FS is one of the different varieties of handguns made available by the Beretta corporations for military purposes. It has a standard finish of Black Brunton with a Black Synthetic Grip white three-dot sight, one in the front while others in the rear that ensures smooth feeding and ejection of ammunition and allows easy clearing of obstructions.
It has a reversible magazine release button with simple field tools, which makes left-handed operation much easier after reversing the magazine release.
It has magazines that hold more than 10 rounds with heavier crimping to reduce the available space while keeping the same external dimensions and ensuring that these magazines can be used on existing firearms.
The Beretta 92FS evolved from the earlier Beretta models M1951 and M1923. It was, for the first time, designed and approved in 1975, with production beginning in 1976; this design has evolved to maintain the Beretta’s smooth feeding and ejection of Ammunition.
It is used by Nepal’s Special Forces, Slovenia, and the Los Angeles Police Department in the United States, Armenia, and Malaysia.
What is Beretta M9?
Beretta M9 is another variant of handgun produced by the Beretta, designated from the Beretta 92F semi-automatic pistol.
It has a standard finish of Blue, with a Synthetic Grip with a single dot front sight, and the rear has a half-circle in the center; it is used with the Bianchi M12 Holster, which has the following features-
- Interchangeable to simplify maintenance for large government organizations.
- Front trigger guard.
- The forward base grip aids aiming.
- Hard chromed barrel bore.
- Surface coating.
- Firing pin block.
- Enlarged hammer pin that fits into a groove.
- Firing pin striker.
- Ambidextrous external safety lever.
In the 1980s, Beretta M9 won the competition and replaced M1911A1 as the superior sidearm of the U.S. military, beating many other contenders after officially entering into the service of the United States of America Armed Forces.
In 1988, US Arm Forces adopted M9 as their service pistol. Therefore, Beretta M9 is used only by the United States Armed Forces for all its departments.
Main Differences Between Beretta 92FS and Beretta M9
- Beretta 92FS is a series of Beretta 92 semi-automatic pistols. On the other hand, Beretta M9 is designated for Beretta 92F semi-automatic pistol.
- The Beretta 92FS has a single front and 2 dot rear. As against, Beretta M9 has a single dot front sight, and the rear has a half-circle in the center.
- The 92FS evolved from the older Beretta models M1923 and M1951. At the same time, Beretta M9 was selected as a military specification of the US armed force in 1988.
- Beretta 92Fs is used by Nepal’s Special Forces, Slovenia, and the Los Angeles Police Department within the United States, Armenia, and Malaysia. On the other hand, Beretta M9 is used only by the United States Armed Forces for all its departments.
- Beretta 92FS has a little less material on the frame below the beavertail. At the same time, Beretta M9 has comparatively more material around 1/6th below the beavertail.
Beretta 92Fs has a standard finish of Black Brunton with a Black Synthetic Grip. , Beretta M9 has a standard finish of Blue, with a Synthetic Grip.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.