With the increasing pace of life and increasing pollution, the stress on our skins is also increasing. Our skin goes through a lot in our daily lives and therefore it has now become challenging to take care of our skin. In order to fight these challenges of our skins, there is a range of products available in the markets that helps us in protecting and nourishing our skins.
Moisturizer and Lotion are two such types of creams. A moisturizer is a thick cream based on different types of oils and water and is used to keep skin hydrated and in its natural form. A lotion or body lotion is a thinner cream based on different elements used to treat the different types of skin ailments.
Moisturizer vs Lotion
The difference between moisturizer and lotion is that a moisturizer is a type of cream-based on oils and water and is used to retain the natural conditions of the skin and also to keep the skin hydrated, a moisturizer has a thicker consistency and is made in such a way that it penetrates the skin completely, on the other hand, a lotion, also known as body lotion is a type of cream-based on different types of elements and is used to treat various skin disorders and problems.
Comparison Table Between Moisturizer and Lotion
|Parameter of Comparison||Moisturizer||Lotion|
|What is it||Moisturizer is a type of cream based on the mixture of different types of oils and water used to keep the outermost layer of the skin intact in its natural condition and keeps the skin hydrated.||The lotion is also a type of cream mixed with antibacterial agents and fragrances and is used to treat skin problems and disorders.|
|Basic components||A moisturizer is mostly based on oils and water since they are used only for the hydration of the skin.||Lotions contain various ingredients such as petroleum jelly, glycerol, fragrances, dyes, stabilizing agents, preservatives and proteins|
|Consistency||The consistency of a moisturizer is thicker.||The lotion has a thinner consistency than a moisturizer.|
|Application and uses||Moisturizers are mainly applied on the face, it is used to keep skin hydrated and in its natural form, it is used as a treatment for dry skin.||A lotion is made to apply on the complete body, it is used to treat skin disorders and to treat skin that lacks essential elements.|
|Viscosity and penetration capacity||The moisturizer has a higher viscosity and higher penetration capacity.||A lotion has a lesser viscosity and lesser penetration capacity.|
What is Moisturizer?
A moisturizer is a type of skin cream based on various oils and water. A moisturizer is more often applied on the face, however, it can be applied on any body part. The consistency of a moisturizer is thicker and it also has a higher viscosity and penetration capacity.
There are various types of moisturizers available for various types of skins. Some brands also manufacture light moisturizers that are designed especially for daily use. Heavy or thicker moisturizers are more suitable for night use.
Moisturizer as the name suggests is used to regain the moisture of the skin. A moisturizer can also be used as a treatment for the dry skin, sensitive skin. A moisturizer is also a type of lotion that can be used to protect and improve skin texture.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||CeraVe Moisturizing Cream | Body and Face Moisturizer for Dry Skin | Body Cream with Hyaluronic Acid...||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Water Gel Daily Face Moisturizer for Dry Skin,...||Check Price on Amazon|
|3||La Roche-Posay Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer, Oil-Free Face Cream with Niacinamide||Check Price on Amazon|
What is Lotion?
A lotion is a type of cream based on ingredients such as petroleum jelly, glycerol, fragrances, dyes, proteins, stabilizing agents, etc. A lotion can be applied on any body part. The consistency of the lotion is thinner than that of the moisturizer. It has lesser viscosity and lesser penetration capacity.
A lotion is designed keeping the different types of skin ailments and deficiencies in mind. Lotions are also designed especially for application on the hands, foot, etc. Lotions are also designed keeping in mind the soft and sensitive skin of babies and newborns.
Lotions can be used both for general and specific purposes. A lotion is used as a treatment for skin ailments and deficiencies. They can be used as antibiotics, anti-fungal, antiseptic, anti-acne treatments in special cases and for moisturizing, soothing, smoothing, etc in general purposes.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Hempz Sweet Pineapple & Honey Melon Moisturizing Skin Lotion, Natural Hemp Seed Herbal Body...||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Love Beauty & Planet Body Lotion Delicious Glow 13.5 oz||Check Price on Amazon|
|3||Lubriderm Daily Moisture Hydrating Unscented Body Lotion with Vitamin B5 for Normal to Dry Skin,...||Check Price on Amazon|
Main Differences Between Moisturizer and Lotion
- Moisturizer is a cream based mainly on oils and water, on the other hand, the lotion is a cream based mainly on petroleum jelly, glycerol, stabilizing agents, proteins, fragrances, etc.
- The moisturizer has a higher percentage of oil and a lesser percentage of water, on the other hand, a lotion has a lesser percentage of oil and a higher percentage of water.
- Moisturizer is used to retain the natural conditions of the skin and to keep skin hydrated, on the other hand, the lotion can be used for both general purposes such as moisturizing and hydration and special purposes such as treatment of skin ailments, treatment of lacking elements, etc.
- The moisturizer essentially hydrates the skin whereas some lotions can take away hydration from the skin.
- The consistency of a moisturizer is thicker whereas that of a lotion is thinner.
- Moisturizer is mainly applied on the facial part, on the other hand, a lotion can be applied on the body as well as the face.
- The moisturizer has a higher penetration capacity whereas the lotion has a lesser penetration capacity.
- The moisturizer has a higher viscosity whereas the lotion has a lesser viscosity.
- Moisturizers are made based on the various types of skin whereas lotions are mainly made by mixing different types of elements.
- It can be said that all moisturizers are lotions but all lotions are not moisturizers.
Moisturizer and Lotion both are a type of cream, one is used to keep skin hydrated and the other is used to treat skin problems. Moisturizer is used to apply mostly on the face and lotion is used to apply on the body. Both are used for different purposes and are beneficial to the skin in different ways.
Last update on 2021-04-30 / Amazon Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents