Jewelry comprises decorative items for personal adornment like rings, bracelets, brooches, earrings, etc. It might be attached to the clothes or the body.
For many centuries, metals like gold were mixed with gemstones and have been the jewelry’s normal material.
When it comes to pendants and charm, there is a bit of confusion related to what makes them a piece of jewelry. Some people use both pendant and charm terms interchangeably, which add to the befuddlement.
Pendant and charm come in all materials, designs, and sizes. In this article, the chief aim is on differentiating pendant and charm.
- Pendants are decorative ornaments that hang from a necklace or chain, serving as the focal point of the jewelry.
- Charms are smaller, decorative trinkets that attach to bracelets or necklaces, collected to represent personal interests or memories.
- Pendants are designed to make a statement, while charms are used to create personalized, meaningful jewelry.
Pendant vs Charm
A pendant is a piece of jewelry that hangs from a chain, while a charm is a small decorative object that can be attached to a bracelet or necklace. Charms are smaller and simpler in design. Pendants are worn as statement pieces, while charms represent personal interests or experiences.
A pendant is an object that is permitted to hang candidly from something else. For instance, hanging light fixtures are described towards pendants.
An object that hangs from a chain or an earring is a pendant, but the term describes on a chain the decorative piece worn around the neck.
The wearing of charms might have begun as a form of Talisman or amulet to ward off bad luck or evil spirits. The decorative charms carry sentimental or personal attachment by the owner.
This small ornament dangles from a chain or bracelet.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Around 25,000 years ago
|The Ancient Egyptians
|Babylonia’s, Hittites, Assyrians, and Persians
|Status and wealth
|The turning point in the wearer’s life like graduation, birthday, wedding, etc.
|Larger than charm
|Smaller than a pendant
|Wrist or ankle
What is Pendant?
A pendant is a jewelry’s loose-hanging piece mainly linked by a loop smaller in size to a necklace and might be known as a “pendant necklace.”
Its name stems from the pendere as a Latin word and pendr as a French word interpret as “to hang down.” Meanwhile, in modern French, a pendant is the gerund pendre’s form.
The extent to which the pendant’s design can be incorporated into a necklace makes it not always exact to treat them as separate items.
Though the separation between pendant and necklace is far clearer in some cases. A pendant earring is a piece hanging down with earing.
Among the oldest recorded bodily adornment type, the pendants are one of them. Perishable materials like shells, pottery, and stone were used.
Pendants can have a function that might be combined with ornamentation, award, ostentation, identification, self-affirmation, and protection.
The many specialized kinds of pendants consist of lockets that open to reveal an image. Also, pendilia mainly hang from larger metalwork objects.
Throughout the ages, it has come in a range of forms to serve a range of purposes. The purposes comprise spiritual power, special benefits, charm bracelet, religious blessings, etc.
What is Charm?
Charms are small decorative trinkets mainly meaningful and symbolic to the owner. In the past, they were used as amulets for wearer protection and to ward off evil.
Nowadays, charm can be used to signify things such as your hobbies, interest, and travels.
On a charm anklet or charm bracelet, one can attach a personal charm for customized bracelet creation that mainly holds meaning to you.
Charm might seem like a new concept but has been in use for hundreds of years. For instance, in Neolithic Era, it was used to ward off evil spirits as well as to keep them safe.
Gemstones are ideal for charm because they can add personality and color to the bracelet or anklet. For instance, birthstones as gemstone charms are the favorite of many people.
If someone believes in the gemstone’s metaphysical properties and opting for believing stone will influence positively is a good choice.
If someone is customizing a charm anklet or bracelet rather than purchasing it is best and also lasts a long while. Opting for high-quality sterling silver such as Argentium silver or gold will not discolor, tarnish, lose its luster over time.
Thus, charm can be continued to remove and add a wish.
Main Differences Between Pendant and Charm
- If the pendant is larger than 25mm then it does not comprise a jump ring, bail, or loop. In this case, a hole is punched or drilled from front to back. So, a fixed loop or bail is present in a smaller than 25mm pendant. Meanwhile, a charm does have a fixed loop but not bail.
- A pendant is too bulky on a slim wrist, and that’s why it is not combined with bracelets. It is perfectly suited for necklaces. In contrast, charms can be used as anklets or bracelets and also as necklaces. Thus, a pendant should never be considered a charm, but charms can be labeled as a pendant.
- There are several kinds of pendants out in the market like a talisman, amulet, medallion, locket, painting, fashion pendants, functional pendants, and many more. On the contrary, flat, cutout, bead, three-dimensional, hollow, and flat back are some of the types of charms.
- Some of the best manufacturers of pendants are Stuller Inc., Zenzii wholesale, Wona Trading, Fashion Bella, Godfather’s Jewelry, and many more. On the other hand, Pinkvanilla, Accessories Palace Inc., Sonara Jewelry, and Planet Silver are some of the top manufacturers of charms.
- Pendants are made of non-precious or precious stones and metals like pearls or diamonds, which hang freely from a necklace or chain. On the flip side, nowadays charms are made of wood, gems, and rocks, but during the prehistoric period, it was made out of clay, animal bones, and shell.
Last Updated : 18 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.