There are different ways of doing marketing. Digital marketing and network marketing are two different tools of marketing.
Digital Marketing vs Network Marketing
The difference between Digital Marketing and Network Marketing is digital marketing is any marketing that is online marketing and network marketing is individual sales done at the person-to-person level.
Comparison Table Between Digital Marketing and Network Marketing (in Tabular Form)
|Parameter of Comparison||Digital marketing||Network marketing|
|What do you require?||It is done online. You just need a computer and internet for digital marketing.||You need to increase contacts and meet face-to-face with customers.|
|Skills required||You need to have digital marketing skills||You need to have excellent selling skills|
|Jobs||There are more jobs in digital marketing, and it shows an increasing trend||There are not many jobs in Network marketing as compared to digital marketing|
|Type of jobs||Type of jobs in digital marketing includes SEO, SMO, SMM, PPC etc.||Types of network marketing include single-tier, two-tier and multi-level marketing|
|Tools||You need some software for some digital marketing activities like email marketing, SEO, website management etc.||There are no tools required for network marketing.|
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is any kind of activity done online for the promotion of the brand or for generating leads. It includes Search engine optimization, Content development, Social media management, Pay per click advertising, Email marketing, Website revamping and management, Mobile marketing etc.
Big as well as small companies do it. Digital marketing does not require companies to invest in huge workforce or infrastructure. It can be easily done by any person who has thorough digital marketing skills with the help of a computer and internet connection. This marketing field is constantly evolving and has enormous scope in future.
What is Network Marketing?
Network marketing is person-to-person sales done by increasing the network of your contacts. It is known by a variety of names like multi-level marketing, referral marketing, affiliate marketing etc. Network marketing is done by encouraging the salespeople to sell and creating a further network for sales. The salesperson gets a commission for selling these products.
The sales done by the network created by the salesperson helps them in getting a further commission. It cannot be termed as a traditional way of marketing in which a company sells the products through a distributor, retailer etc. Network marketing is done by very few companies who mostly sell financial products and services or FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) products.
Main Differences Between Digital Marketing and Network Marketing
- Nature of marketing – Digital marketing is very much adaptive in nature. It can be easily used by small, medium scale or large companies. Network marketing cannot be used by all the companies because of the time, efforts and business objectives of the company.
- Online vs Offline – Digital marketing is something which is done online, whereas network marketing is something which is done offline.
- Manpower – Digital marketing requires lesser number of manpower as compared to network marketing.
- Push vs Pull marketing – Digital marketing is more of a Pull marketing strategy in which you try to get the attention of the customers. Network marketing is more of a Push marketing strategy in which you try to reach the customers to sell the product.
- Time and effort – You can expect quick results from your digital marketing efforts. Network marketing takes time to grow. It takes lots of efforts from the sales team to grow the business.
- Human contact – Digital marketing doesn’t necessarily require any human contact. Network marketing is done person-to-person basis, so it requires human contact.
- Learning – For executing digital marketing activities, the person is required to learn digital marketing skills. It can be learnt on the job or by joining any training institute. The prerequisite for network marketing is you have to learn about the products/services, which is to be sold and develop good sales network through your selling skills.
- Money – Depending on your marketing budget, you can customize the digital marketing campaign. Network marketing cannot be customized so easily. You need to set up a good team of sales professionals to increase the network.
- Flexibility – There is flexibility in executing a digital marketing campaign. One can change the plan or stop it midway if results are not achieved. There are many online tools to monitor the results. It is difficult to change a network marketing plan once it is started. More difficult to completely stop it.
- Monitoring results – You can monitor the results of your digital marketing campaign at any time and from anywhere if you have a computer/smartphone and an internet connection. You cannot monitor the network marketing campaign so closely.
- Supply chain – Supply chain of products is important in network marketing. You need to show and demonstrate the product capabilities to the customers in order to sell it. So for that, you need to have the product in place when you want to show it to customers. There is no so requirement in digital marketing. You can show the product capabilities through online videos, content material, online brochures etc.
- Support – Digital marketing can support your network marketing strategy. You can use digital mediums like social media, YouTube videos, website etc. for promoting your products. Network marketing cannot help your digital marketing efforts.
Both digital marketing and network marketing are critical marketing strategies which can be deployed by the companies. Deciding a particular marketing strategy is at the discretion of the senior members of the company. The members have to think through the implications of adopting a digital marketing strategy or network marketing strategy or both before the execution of it.
As this can decide the future of your overall brand strategy. The company can use both these marketing elements more effectively by framing a good marketing strategy. But finally, it is essential to know that ‘Customer is always the King’ and your sales strategy won’t be effective if your company do not believe in this philosophy.
Table of Contents