Gillette has released several premium razors since time immemorial. This company has been a trusted brand for much of its existence. Their razors offer a smooth finish without requiring much effort.
The Gillette Fusion is an older version and is the first razor created in the Fusion series. The Gillette Skinguard is the more recent razor.
- Gillette Fusion has five blades, while Gillette Skinguard has only two blades, making it ideal for sensitive skin.
- Gillette Fusion has a Lubrastrip that fades to indicate when the blade needs to be replaced, while Gillette Skinguard has a Precision Trimmer for hard-to-reach areas.
- Gillette Fusion is more expensive than Gillette Skinguard, but it provides a closer shave and better flexibility.
Gillette Fusion vs Gillette Skinguard
Gillette Fusion is a razor system with five blades, a lubricating strip, and a precision trimmer for shaving in hard-to-reach areas. Gillette SkinGuard is designed for sensitive skin and features a unique SkinGuard technology to reduce skin irritation and protect the skin from cuts and nicks.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Types of skin
|Skinguard is better for sensitive skin type that is more prone to cuts while shaving.
|Fusion is better for rough skin types. It may harm the softer skin due to its extra blades.
|No of Blades
|Skin guard possesses two special blades lined by a small rubber material that can grip hair better.
|Fusion has five blades, including another blade on the opposite side, which makes it easier to shave off larger portions.
|Skin guard has a few blades, which requires one to shave the same area many times.
|Fusion has a solid 5-number cartridge, which allows it to cut the hair at the lowest possible height.
|The Skinguard requires more effort while shaving longer beards.
|The Fusion razor can shave off longer and thicker beards without much effort.
|Better for everyday use as it produces a more comfortable shave.
|This razor is better for weekly use as it can irritate if frequently used. In addition to this, it can cause cuts while shaving.
What is Gillette Fusion?
Gillette Fusion is a cheaper alternative when compared to the other razors in the Gillette Fusion Range. It has five blades in the front of the cartridge and a 6th blade on the cartridge’s outer side.
This 6th blade is vital in creating a smooth and precise finish. It allows one to attain a more detailed look. The Fusion series cannot be used on softer skin more prone to getting wounds.
This razor will enable one to achieve a smooth finish quickly. The five-blade mechanism not only finds use in creating a more comfortable shave when compared to the earlier razors.
It also reduces the pressure per blade while shaving.
The Fusion series also contains a battery-powered razor known as the Fusion Power. It uses electricity to vibrate the blade for a quick shave. The vibrating also reduces friction while shaving.
The Fusion PowerGlide is another razor with a better-rubberized coating at the top of the blade.
It also has a button near the cartridge. Upon pressing this button, the blade pops out fairly easily. The Fusion razor saw its release after the Mach razor.
The Fusion series possesses many more features than the Mach, which makes Fusion a favourite in comparison to the Mach razor.
What is Gillette Skinguard?
The Gillette Skinguard is a recent addition to the Gillette razors. It is lighter than the other razors. Each cartridge consists of 2 blades.
A protective sheath covers these blades, reducing the friction between the skin and the blade. This covering prevents one from cutting through the skin.
This razor is perfect for everyday shaving as it is non-invasive. It is also a good option for individuals with acne problems who cannot shave.
It is the first razor that possesses double lubra strips on the blade. It helps to lubricate the skin while shaving.
This razor also has a button that, upon pressing, releases the blade from the stick. It has a compatible handle that can fit easily in one’s hand while shaving.
It is slightly more expensive than the fusion razor but compensates for it because of its comfort.
Although it does require more effort to shave longer beards, it is excellent for everyday shaving. Each pack comes with two cartridges.
Main Differences Between Gillette Fusion and Gillette Skinguard
- Fusion razors produce more friction than skin guard razors. It causes the skin to feel more irritated.
- Skinguard razors contain only two blades in each cartridge. The Fusion razors consist of 5 blades. This aspect causes the blades of the Fusion razor to experience less pressure.
- Fusion razors are better for shaving longer beards. Skin guard is better for shorter and more frequent shaving bouts.
- Fusion razors lack the lubricating sheaths on the skin guard blades. The lack of these stripes implies that the Fusion razor will make the skin more susceptible to cuts.
- The Skinguard finds use in shaving sensitive skin. Thus it is better for shaving areas that possess acne and dry skin.
- The price of the Skinguard razors is slightly higher than the Fusion razors.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.