We say that small changes create big differences, and this phrase proves itself in the case of Camping Hatchet and Saw.
As there are not many differences but small changes as per the convenience of people. And these changes make them different tools for the same purposes.
Therefore these tools might look different, but their purpose is the same, like chopping off wood and metals.
- A camping hatchet is a small, lightweight tool with a sharp edge that is ideal for chopping small logs and branches for firewood.
- On the other hand, a camping saw is a tool that features a long, thin blade with teeth designed for sawing through thicker logs and branches.
- While a hatchet is better for splitting and chopping wood, a saw is more efficient for cutting through thicker logs and branches, making it ideal for tasks like pruning.
Camping Hatchet vs Saw
Camping hatchet is a small axe that is designed with a short handle and on top of it, there is a hammer head on one side and a double square cutting wedge angle on the other. Saw is a tool designed with a flat blade and an edge cut into zig-zag shapes, used for cutting into wood or carpentry.
Compared to hatchets, the Saws are safe. Because a worst a saw could cut off your fingers, but a camping hatchet may cut off your foot and cause heavy bleeding.
As Saws are less sharp than Hatches. Saws also need more maintenance than hatches as sharpening a Camping hatchet is easier than sharpening a Saw because a hatchet can be sharpened using any coarse stone, but a saw blade requires some skills and tools.
Camping hatchets are best because of ease of usage and less maintenance.
But they can become dangerous if not used properly as they are sharper, and sometimes, one strike is enough to split a wooden trunk into two pieces.
For general-purpose usage, camping hatchets are best, as chopping and digging can be done with one tool.
|Parameters of comparison||Camping Hatchet||Saw|
|Definition||It is a small axe with a short handle for use in one hand. Having double square cutting wedge angle on one side and a hammer head on the opposite side.||It is a tool with a flat blade with an edge cut into many V shapes.|
|Uses||It can be used for driving tent stakes, chopping down small trees, etc.||It can be used in woodworking and carpentry.|
|Appearance||It is a short-handle tool with a double square cutting wedge angle on one side and a hammer head on the opposite side. This makes it a little bit heavy and tough to carry.||It has a flat blade with an edge cut into many V shapes. Easy and handy|
|Maintenance||Low maintenance and can be easily sharpened without any skill and tools.||High maintenance and needs specific tools for sharpening.|
|Sharpness||Sharper as compared to saw.||Less sharp as compared to hatchets.|
|Cost||A little bit expensive.||Depending on its type a hand saw is cheaper to buy, but a chainsaw is expensive.|
What is a Camping Hatchet?
Camping hatchets are smaller than axe and can be used with one hand.
They have a double square cutting wedge angle on one side and a hammer head on the opposite side, making them more versatile and easy to use.
It can be used for clearing areas, driving tent stakes, splitting wood, etc.
These are handy and easy to use but a little bit heavy. Also, hatchets do not require any skill, and it is easily maintainable, making them a more convenient tool to buy.
A hatchet is a sharp tool and can easily be sharpened with the help of a coarse stone.
What is a Saw?
A Saw is a tool with a flat blade with an edge cut into many V-shaped. It has a tough blade and wire, or it can have a chain with a hard-toothed edge.
It is used to cut through materials but can also cut metals and stones. It is mainly used to cut wood and by carpenters or wood crafters.
So many types of Saws are available: hand saws, chainsaws and mechanically powered saws etc.
The cut is made by placing the toothed edge against the material and moving it forcefully forth, back, or continuously forward.
Force may be applied by hand or powered by steam, water, electricity etc.
A saw is a lightweight tool easy to carry but difficult to use as it requires specific skills.
Main Differences Between Camping Hatchet and Saw
- Camping hatchets are shorter and easy to handle with good grip. While Saws sometimes have grip issues.
- Multiple works can be done with a Camping hatchet, like hammering and chopping, but when it comes to Saws, only single work can be done, like only chopping and cutting.
- A saw is a lightweight tool and easy to carry, while a hatchet has some weight and is hard to carry.
- Maintenance is more concerning Saws, as one should have specific tools for sharpening a Saw. But in the case of a Camping hatchet, one can easily do the sharpening with the help of a coarse stone and without any proper skill.
- Hatchets are more affordable as compared to Saws. But hand Saws are cheaper in rate as compared to its other types.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.