Blue jays are loud, intelligent, and lively birds. These birds can imitate predatory calls or emit a call of warning to warn other birds in the area of danger. Blue coloured plumage on the tails and wings distinguishes these birds.
While female and male blue jays are nearly identical, they can be distinguished in their natural environment.
Male vs Female Blue Jays
The difference between male and female blue Jays is that Blue Jay males are approximately thirty centimetres (11.8 inches) in length. However, Female blue Jays are between 25 and 28 centimetres in length. Male and female Blue Jays are almost similar in everything, having concrete distinctions in nesting, mating and courtship habits.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Blue Jay males are physically larger and longer than females. A group of male blue Jays follows a group of female blue Jays when courtship is in progress.
Male blue Jays do much of the hunting and searching for food for their female counterparts, which sets them apart from female blue Jays. Male blue Jays bristle their feathers during mating to attract the attention of a female blue Jay.
Male and female Blue Jays are similar in size and appearance, but females are comparatively smaller. Female blue Jays lead the way for male blue Jays during courtship.
Female blue Jays are distinguishable from male blue Jays because they incubate the eggs in the nest. Female blue Jays dare to choose their spouses. Therefore a female blue Jay can bobble their heads and rustle the males’ feathers to choose her mate.
|Parameters of Comparison||Male Blue Jays||Female Blue Jays|
|Appearance||Physically longer||Physically shorter|
|Nesting||Hunt for food and provide for the females.||Incubate the eggs.|
|Length||30 cms||25-28 cms|
|Courtship||Follow the females||Lead the way for males|
|Mating habits||Bristle their feathers||Bobbling the heads and rustling the feathers of males.|
What are Male Blue Jays?
Male blue Jays appear to be physically larger and longer than female blue Jays. Male blue Jays are roughly thirty centimetres (11.8 inches) in length. A group of male blue Jays follows a group of blue Jay’s females at the period of courtship.
Male blue Jays mostly hunt and forage for food for their female counterparts, which distinguishes them from female blue Jays. Male blue Jays bristle their feathers to attract the attention of a female blue Jay during mating season.
What distinguishes male blue jays from females is their social and mating behaviour. In February, the beginning of the courting season occurs. A group of three to ten blue male or female jays can be seen at any time.
The female tends to influence the male’s actions. If the female jay takes to the air, the males keep on pursuing her until she lands. The male jays usually bob their heads down and up. They also fluff their feathers to attract the female as soon as the group lands.
What are Female Blue Jays?
Female blue Jays are smaller and have a shorter look than male blue Jays. Female blue Jays are approximately 25-28 cm in length. A group of female blue Jays leads the way for male blue Jays during courtship. Female blue Jays can be distinguished from male blue Jays because they incubate the eggs in the nest.
Female blue Jays are bold enough to choose their spouses. Therefore a female blue Jay can wander among the guys, bobbling their heads and rustling the males’ feathers to find her mate. Blue jays females are smaller than blue jays males but have similar morphological characteristics.
During their mating and courtship ritual, however, small changes can be seen. During courtship, a flock of male blue jays can be observed leading the female. She can be spotted strolling around, sifting through a bunch of men that are spotted bobbing the heads and rustle the feathers in search of a partner.
Main Differences Between Male and Female Blue Jays
- Male blue Jays are physically longer and larger in appearance than female blue Jays. On the other hand, female blue Jays are comparatively smaller and shorter in appearance than male blue Jays.
- The length of the male blue Jays measures somewhat around thirty centimetres or 11.8 inches. On the other hand, the length of the female blue Jays measures around 25-28 centimetres.
- At the time of the occurrence of courtship, a bunch of blue Jay’s males follows a bunch of female blue Jays. On the other hand, at the time of courtship, a bunch of female blue Jays lead the way for blue Jay’s males.
- The main work of male blue Jays, which differentiate them from female Blue Jays is that they hunt and search for food for their female counterpart. On the other hand, female blue Jays can be differentiated from male blue Jays as in the nest, they incubate the eggs.
- At the time of mating, the male blue Jays try to win the attention of a female blue Jay. Hence the male jays are seen bristling their feathers. On the other hand, female blue Jays dare to choose their partners. Hence a female blue Jay can walk through the males to choose her mate by bobbing their heads and rustling the feathers of the males.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.