The most common disease is the cough and cold. Every human on the planet has faced this once in a lifetime. However, it is very normal and cured easily, in some cases, the pain and danger of this increase.
Therefore, medications have to be taken. Mucinex and Mucinex DM are The most common medicines used for curing it.
As their names suggest, they both are pretty similar but not the same. To intake any of these, it is important to know the disease’s severity and the benefit and information about both medicines. Only then should they be consumed.
- Mucinex is an expectorant used to thin and loosens mucus in the airways, while Mucinex DM is an expectorant and suppressant used to relieve cough and chest congestion.
- Mucinex contains only guaifenesin as an active ingredient, while Mucinex DM contains both guaifenesin and dextromethorphan.
- Mucinex is used for productive cough, while Mucinex DM is used for non-productive cough.
Mucinex vs Mucinex DM
Mucinex is a medicine used for the treatment of coughs. This medicine can be allergic to some people. That’s why consultation must be done with a doctor before taking the medicine. Nausea is one of the side effects of this medicine. Mucinex DM is also used for cough treatment. Alcohol must be avoided after taking this medicine.
Mucinex, also called guaifenesin, is an expectorant that helps loosen the congestion of the chest and throat. A normal adult is advised to take 3-4 doses of it in a day for better relief. It is not very costly and comes in different packs.
Mucinex DM is a medicine used to treat congested chest and cough. It is a very strong medicine; hence can only be taken if prescribed by the doctor.
Also, dosage should not be increased by 2 dosages a day. It has similar composition and treatment except for the presence of dextromethorphan, due to which it is slightly expensive.
|Parameters of Comparison||Mucinex||Mucinex DM|
|Definition||It is expectorant helps to lose congestion.||It is a medicine used for suppressing the cough.|
|Contains||guaifenesin||guaifenesin along with Dextromethorphan|
|Helps in||making the mucus or sputum less viscous||suppressant of cough|
|Dosage||1 or 2 dosages in 12 hours||1 dosage in 12 hours|
|Availability||A packet of maximum 100and minimum of 20 tablets||A packet of maximum of 20 or 40 tablets|
What is Mucinex?
It is a medicine used to treat cough and cold by curing the congested throat and chest so that cough can easily come out through the mouth.
- Before taking this medicine, an individual should consult a doctor to ensure he is not allergic to it.
- A pregnant woman should avoid this; otherwise, definitely consult a doctor before consuming.
- If a mother is breastfeeding a child, she should also consult a doctor to know if it is safe to intake medicine.
How to take Mucinex?
It is quite simple; as everything is described on the pack/label, otherwise doctor should be consulted if any problem still arises. It is advised not to take this medicine for longer or in large quantities.
If the person has an upset stomach, he should take this with food, which should be stored at room temperature away from direct heat/light.
Side effects of the medicine:
- Emergency medical help should be taken immediately in case of an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction includes facial or throat swelling, difficulty breathing, etc.
- Common side effects include stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, etc.
What is Mucinex DM?
It is a cough suppressant. It will cure cough that is not caused by smoking. Consumption of Mucinex DM should be avoided if a person has used MAO Inhibitor in the last 2 weeks, as it can lead to dangerous drug interaction.
Any heavy activity should be avoided after consuming it. Consumption of alcohol should also be avoided as it can lead to some side effects.
- Extreme headaches.
- The feeling of anxiety and dizziness.
- The problem of insomnia.
- Irritation and restlessness.
More side effects could be there along with all the above-mentioned. And in case of any severe symptoms, immediate medical help should be taken.
How to take Mucinex DM?
This should not be taken for a longer duration, as all cough-cold medicines are meant to be taken for only a short period. This should not be used to make the offspring/child sleep.
The medicine should be measured carefully as it is very heavy, and more quantity will lead to side effects. Before any surgery, the surgeon should be informed if the patient has consumed this.
Otherwise, steps written on the label should be followed in general, and medicine should be kept in a cool and dry place.
Main Differences Between Mucinex and Mucinex DM
- Mucinex DM is more effective because it contains not only guaifenesin but also Dextromethorphan, whereas Mucinex only contains guaifenesin.
- Mucinex helps eject the mucus out of the respiratory tract as it thins out the sputum, and Mucinex DM helps suppress the cough.
- Mucinex DM, due to the presence of Dextromethorphan, is stronger than the Mucinex.
- Mucinex DM also has the advantage of curing sinus infection and cough, while Mucinex is only used for respiratory fluid clearance.
- Mucinex DM has more components; therefore, it is very heavy, and only 1 tablet is allowed to consume in 12 hours, i.e. not more than 2 tablets should be consumed in a day (24 hours), whereas in comparison, Mucinex is lighter and 1-2 tablets can be consumed in 12 hours, and 4 tablets maximum in one day, i.e. 24 hours.
- Mucinex comes in a packet of a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 100 tablets, whereas Mucinex DM comes in a pack of 20 or 40 Tablets.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.