The most common disease is the cough and cold. Every human on the planet has faced this once in a lifetime. Although it is very normal and cure easily, in some cases, the pain and danger of this increases. Therefore, medications have to be taken. The most common medicines that are used for curing it are Mucinex and Mucinex DM.
As their names suggest, they both are pretty similar, but not the same. To intake any of these, it is important to know the severity of the disease and also the benefit and information about both medicines. Only then they should be consumed.
Mucinex vs Mucinex DM
The difference between Mucinex and Mucinex DM is that Mucinex is a lighter medication that only contains guaifenesin and is consumed in more quantity than Mucinex DM, which is stronger due to the presence of dextromethorphan with guaifenesin. The packaging of Mucinex is more flexible as it comes in different packs than the Mucinex DM.
Mucinex, which is also called guaifenesin, is an expectorant that helps in loosening the congestion of the chest and throat. A normal adult is advised to take a 3-4 dose of it in a day for better relief. It is not very costly and comes in different packs.
Mucinex DM is a medicine used to treat congested chest and cough. It is very strong medicine; hence can only be taken if prescribed by the doctor. Also, dosage should not be increased by 2 dosages a day. It has similar composition and treatment except for the presence of dextromethorphan, due to which it is slightly expensive.
Comparison Table Between Mucinex and Mucinex DM
|Parameters of Comparison||Mucinex||Mucinex DM|
|Definition||It is expectorant helps to lose congestion.||It is a medicine used for suppressing the cough.|
|Contains||guaifenesin||guaifenesin along with Dextromethorphan|
|Helps in||making the mucus or sputum less viscous||suppressant of cough|
|Dosage||1 or 2 dosages in 12 hours||1 dosage in 12 hours|
|Availability||A packet of maximum 100and minimum of 20 tablets||A packet of maximum of 20 or 40 tablets|
What is Mucinex?
It is a medicine used to treat cough and cold by curing the congested throat and chest so that cough can easily come out through the mouth.
- Before taking this medicine individual should consult a doctor to make sure he is not allergic to it.
- A pregnant woman should avoid this; otherwise, definitely consult a doctor before consuming.
- If a mother is breastfeeding a child, she should also consult a doctor to know if it is safe to intake medicine.
How to take Mucinex?
It is quite simple; as everything is described on the pack/label, otherwise doctor should be consulted if any problem still arises. It is advised to not take this medicine for a longer duration or in large quantities.
In case if the person has an upset stomach, he should take this with food, and this should be stored at room temperature away from direct heat/light.
Side effects of the medicine:
- In case of an allergic reaction, emergency medical held should be taken immediately. An allergic reaction includes swelling on the face or throat and difficulty in breathing etc.
- Common side effects include stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, etc.
What is Mucinex DM?
It is a cough suppressant. It will cure cough that is not caused by smoking. Consumption of Mucinex DM should be avoided if a person has used MAO Inhibitor in the last 2 weeks, as it can lead to dangerous drug interaction.
Any heavy activity should be avoided after consuming it. Consumption of alcohol should also be avoided as it can lead to some side effects.
- Extreme headaches.
- Feeling of anxiety and dizziness.
- The problem of insomnia.
- Irritation and restlessness.
More side effects could be there along with all the above-mentioned. And in case of any severe symptom, immediate medical help should be taken.
How to take Mucinex DM?
This should not be taken for a longer duration, as all the cough-cold medicines are meant to be taken for only a short period. This should not be used to make the offspring/child sleep. Measurement of the medicine should be done very carefully as it is very heavy, and more quantity will lead to side effects. Before any surgery, the surgeon should be informed if the patient has consumed this.
Otherwise, steps written on the label should be followed in general, and medicine should be kept in a cool and dry place.
Main Differences Between Mucinex and Mucinex DM
- Mucinex DM is more effective because it contains not only guaifenesin but also Dextromethorphan, whereas Mucinex only contains guaifenesin.
- Mucinex helps eject the mucus out of the respiratory tract as it thins out the sputum, and Mucinex DM helps suppress the cough.
- Mucinex DM, due to the presence of Dextromethorphan, is stronger than the Mucinex.
- Mucinex DM also has the advantage of curing sinus infection and cough, while Mucinex is only used for respiratory fluid clearance.
- Mucinex DM has more components; therefore, it is very heavy, and only 1 tablet is allowed to consume in 12 hours, i.e. not more than 2 tablets should be consumed in a day (24 hours), whereas in comparison, Mucinex is lighter and 1-2 tablets can be consumed in 12 hours, and 4 tablets maximum in one day, i.e. 24 hours.
- Mucinex comes in a packet of a minimum of 20 and a maximum of 100 tablets, whereas Mucinex DM comes in a pack of 20 or 40 Tablets.
Both of them are similar in various ways, such as both of them are used for the treatment of the same conditions, i.e. the cough. The reason behind cough could be anything such as flu or any other breathing problem.
But these are not used for any cough, which is due to a smoking habit or problems like cystic fibrosis (long-standing diseases). They start effecting immediately after 15 minutes of intake. These are not daily used medicines. These should be consumed only if the individual has a prescription by the doctor. A person above the age of 12 years is eligible for consumption.
Table of Contents