Pound and ounce are both units of measure used to weigh objects, things, and living beings (for pound). A pound is also written in Ib. And an ounce is also written as oz.
Table of Contents
They both are mainly used under avoirdupois pound system. Pound is used in various countries, especially in the United kingdom after its implementation during Weights and Measures Act in 1963.
An ounce is involved in various systems as well that are recognized worldwide, the most common being the imperial and the United States customary systems.
Pound vs Ounce
The difference between a pound and an ounce is that a unit of an ounce is smaller compared a unit of a pound. An ounce is very small as opposed to a pound. To state mathematically, Every 16 single units of an ounce equals to 1 pound.
16 units of ounce= 1 pound
Pound is generally used for weighing babies, adults and big items of structure such as Furniture, whereas ounce is used to measure small units of things like measurements of drinks or items used in baking.
Pound is a unit used to measure things and living beings like Bread, Dog, Babies, etc. It is defined exactly as 0.45359237 kg.
Ounce is a smaller unit compared to pound used to measure pencils, cream, brushes, etc. It is defined as exactly as 28.349523125 g. Different systems are used in various countries and thus, the weight can vary from system to system.
|Parameters of Comparison||Pound||Ounce|
|Items/products||Unit used to measure larger items.||Unit used to measure smaller items.|
|Measurement||Is bigger||Is smaller.|
|Represented as||It is represented by the abbreviation lb./Ibs. (plural)||It is represented by the abbreviation oz.|
|Mostly used for:||weighing people, newborn babies||packaged food and beverages, stationery|
|Parts in grams||453.59237||28.3495231|
|Name came from||Latin Word pondus||Latin Word Uncia|
What is Pound?
A pound is a unit of measurement of mass derived from the Latin word libra pondus. We can easily measure the unit for any required amount that we want.
It is generally used to measure big volume items that can also be weigh-in Kilograms.
The unit for the required amount can be known from a weighing scale. An alternative symbol is lbm. It is used, prominently in United States.
There are different types of pounds: Merchants pound, Tower pound, London pound and apothecaries’ or Troy pound but the most common is aviourdupois pound.
According to Weights and Measures Act of 1878, usage of Troy pound was banned, Though Troy ounce could be used to estimate jewel stones like gold, silver, platinum, etc.
What is Ounce?
An ounce is another unit of measurement of mass derived from Latin word uncia, a unit that was 1⁄12 of the Roman pound.
Today the most common used one is aviourdupois. It is generally used to weigh small things that can also be weighed in Grams.
It is even used to describe the amount of food/liquid that a person might intake.
There are mainly three types of ounces aside from the aviordupois ounce: Troy pound, fluid ounce and ounce force.
Troy ounce or apothecaries’ ounce is used to measure metals such as gold, platinum, palladium, rhodium and silver; Metal bars and Bullion Coins (Coins preserved as investment for the future).
Though in the United Kingdom in the year 2000, it was not allowed for usage but still is being for general usage informally and commonly, as the indicator for portion sizes in restaurants.
The main thing used to measure it are basic kitchen spoons and tools.
Main Differences Between Pound and Ounce
- Pound is a much larger unit of measurement then ounce, since 16 units of an ounce makes 1 pound. For example; If I pen=1 ounce, 16 pens of those 1 ounce would make Pound.
- Troy Ounce are still in use today in United Kingdom to measure precious gems like platinum, silver, rhodium, and mostly gold. But usage of Troy pound is banned by the government of United Kingdom considering it no longer a legal unit of trade. It was announced on 6 January 1879 by the Weights and Measures Act of 1878.
- Small things like pen, Volume of drinks, etc. are always measured in Ounces (Oz) whereas Newborn babies and Adults are always measured in Pounds.
- The abbreviation of lb came from the Roman word Libra and the abbreviation oz came later from the cognate Italian word onza (now known as oncia).
- Though Ounce is generally used for proportioning drinks/ beverages in the United Kingdom, it is only used for this purpose as the United Kingdom ceased it to be a legal unit of measure in 2000. On the other hand, the Pound can and is legally used to measure anything that the person desires.
- Ounces can be converted to pounds by multiplying it by sixteen. Pounds are converted to ounces by dividing it by sixteen.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️