Powerlifting and weightlifting are major sports that are quite famous too. Both of these sports involve lifting heavy objects.
They may sound or seem the same, but they are different from each other. Powerlifting is about three controlled lifts, also called raw lifting and class lifting.
Weightlifting, on the other side, is a quite technical word that primarily focuses on two ballistic lifts.
- Powerlifting emphasizes three primary lifts: bench press, squat, and deadlift.
- Weightlifting involves two main lifts: the snatch and the clean and jerk.
- Powerlifting focuses on lifting as much weight as possible for a single repetition, whereas weightlifting prioritizes lifting the most weight possible for a set of repetitions.
Powerlifting vs Weightlifting
Powerlifting is a sport that consists of three main lifts: the squat, bench press, and deadlift. Weightlifting is a sport that consists of two lifts: the snatch and the clean and jerk. Powerlifting requires a wider stance in the squat and a more controlled, slower movement, unlike Weightlifting.
Powerlifting consists of three lifts: a deadlift, a squat, and a bench press. This sport is about weighing the maximum possible weight across the three lifts.
Strict measures and techniques are used for fair compatibility. In 1964 it came into existence as an official sport with the York Barbell Company sponsorship.
Weightlifting, also called weight training, is more technical strength training in which the participant or the individual use weight machines.
Various equipment can be used for weightlifting purposes. It can be a rod, steel bar, or barbell.
This sport measures the strength of the individual.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Powerlifting majorly includes bench press, deadlift, and squat
|Weightlifting includes overhead movement like clean and jerk and snatch
|This sport does not have speed limitations, it allows the individual to take their time for a successful movement
|This sport measure the explosive strength of the individual and executed faster
|The first move requires comparatively more strength
|It is not mandatory to use maximum strength on the first move
|Powerlifters are more massive
|Weightlifters are less muscular
|This sport does not compulsorily involve the use of support equipment
|This sport always require support equipment
|It is not included in the Olympics
|It is included in the Olympics program
|Powerlifting is comparatively less technical
|Weightlifting is more technical
What is Powerlifting?
Powerlifting was started as strength training in the era of Greece and Roman civilization. With the sponsorship of York Barbell Company, it came into existence in its first national meet and became an official sport in the year 1964.
Previously this sport was called out as odd lifts.
In powerlifting, competitors are categorized concerning their body weight or mass. Initially, men are categorized or classified in nine categories, while women are classified in eight categories.
During the sport, three attempts are given to each participant. Powerlifting is about weighing the heaviest weight across three attempts.
The three lifts are comprised of the deadlift, bench press, and squat. In the deadlift, the barbell is lifted from the floor by fixing the arms straight and standing in the upright position.
Bench press, as the name suggests, it includes lying on the back while holding the bar and reaching chest level to arm‘s length.
The squat is about holding the barbell on the shoulder side, bending the knees at the right angle, and standing back.
What is Weightlifting?
It has been stated previously in the early era. Weightlifting is based on the 19th century’s Traditional European concept. This sport is included in the Olympics as well.
In weightlifting, three attempts are given, and initially, the total score is recorded by considering two successful attempts.
Eight divisions are categorized for men and women according to their body mass. The competition lifts include snatch and clean, and jerk.
Snatch, called single part lift, includes picking the weight from the floor to overhead. Clean and jerk, on the other side, are comprised of two parts.
Firstly, the barbell is lifted from the floor to the shoulder height, and then it is pushed over the head.
Main Differences Between Powerlifting and Weightlifting
- Powerlifting is about lifting the heaviest weight, or in other words, and it focuses on lifting the heaviest in a single attempt. On the contrary, weightlifting, also called weight training, is more technical strength training by using weight machines.
- Powerlifting and weightlifting include lifting one or another piece of equipment or physical work as well. Powerlifting majorly includes bench presses, deadlifts, and squats. On the contrary, weightlifting includes overhead movements like clean and jerk and snatch.
- Weightlifting measures the explosive strength of the individual and is executed faster. Powerlifting, on the other side, does not have speed limits. It allows the individual to take their time for a successful movement.
- Powerlifting and weightlifting require strength. But for powerlifters, the first move is important, and hence they invest maximum strength in lifting the first move. On the other side, weightlifters don’t have to utilize their maximum power at the first move only.
- Compared with weightlifters, powerlifters seem to be more massive because muscle work is required more extensively. Weightlifters are simply less muscular.
- Support equipment is important in various sports. Although in powerlifting, support equipment is not compulsorily involved. On the contrary, weightlifting always requires support equipment.
- Olympics programs are popular and recognized worldwide. Although powerlifting and weightlifting are strength and weight-related sports among both of these sports, only weightlifting is included in the Olympics program.
Last Updated : 13 July, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.