Face Powder is a cosmetic item that is used in the face for beautification. The concept of using face powder originated in ancient Egypt.
Now it is used all over the world, especially in makeup, to contour the face or brighten the skin. Face Powder comes in two forms, one in loose form and one in compressed one.
Loose powder is used for moisturizing the skin, removing all kinds of pimples, blemishes etc. It helps the skin to shine and mattify. Sandalwood Powder and Multani Mitti comes under this category.
- Sandalwood powder is derived from the heartwood of sandalwood trees and is known for its fragrance and skin-soothing properties. At the same time, Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth) is a natural clay material with oil-absorbing and skin-cleansing properties.
- Sandalwood powder is primarily used for skincare, aromatherapy, and religious rituals, while Multani Mitti is used for skincare, haircare, and as a natural cleaning agent.
- Both sandalwood powder and Multani Mitti have various cosmetic and therapeutic benefits, including improving skin texture, reducing inflammation, and treating acne.
Sandalwood Powder vs Multani Mitti
The difference between sandalwood Powder and Multani Mitti is that Sandalwood powder is obtained from sandalwood trees that is aromatic and therapeutic. On the other hand, Multani Mitti is a clay-like material that has originated from Pakistan. Sandalwood Powder can be applied to the face by mixing it with besan, turmeric and rose water. Multani Mitti can be applied to the face directly only by adding rose water. Sandalwood Powder is more expensive than Multani Mitti.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Sandalwood Powder comes from the Sandalwood tree. Sandalwood is an evergreen tree. Since ancient times, it has been used for medicinal purposes by people.
The sandalwood tree is very famous in Asian countries. Sandalwood Powder has a unique fragrance. When it is applied to the face, it gives a cooling and relaxing effect.
Sandalwood Powder is very expensive as Sandalwood is a very precious tree, and cultivation of the wood is done by the Government of the different countries.
Multani Mitti is a clay-like substance that has a fine texture like a powder. Its referred to as Fuller’s earth in English.
In the Indian subcontinent, it is called Multani Mitti because it originated from a city named Multan that is situated in Modern day Pakistan.
Multani Mitti contains hydrous aluminium silicate that makes it rich in water content. Multani Mitti is extensively used by females to brighten skin tone.
|Parameters of Comparison||Sandalwood Powder||Multani Mitti|
|Origin||Comes from Santalum Album||Multan city, Pakistan|
|Uses||As a face pack, for acne and blackheads, for fair skin, for suntan, etc.||Removes oil from skin, helps to fight acne, brightens the skin, and reduces pigmentation.|
|Application||Applied with turmeric, besan, and rose water.||Applied with rose water.|
|Disadvantages||Irritation, dermatitis, itching, nausea, and stomach upset.||Skin can become dehydrated, Poisoning, bleeding of the intestine, choking if consumed.|
What is Sandalwood Powder?
Sandalwood powder is used as a face pack to apply to the skin. Since time immemorial, it has been used in the ancient household of the Indian subcontinent as a DIY method.
Sandalwood is a unique tree that is known to have healing properties. It is used for medicinal purposes. Sandalwood Powder helps to remove skin problems.
It acts as a natural remedy. Applying the powder helps in the secretion of the oil from the face, reduces acne and helps in pigmentation of the skin.
For instant glow and radiance of the face, sandalwood powder is used. Because it is believed that it provides shine to the face.
For different purposes, sandalwood powder is applied differently by mixing different ingredients. Usually, turmeric, besan and rose water are mixed into the powder to make the paste.
It is applied for 15 minutes. But for acne and blackheads, aloe vera gel and curd are mixed into sandalwood powder. Then it left for 25-30 minutes.
Sandalwood powder contains anti=bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial properties. Sandalwood powder also acts as a relaxant because it gives a cooling effect and relaxes muscle spasms.
They act as a sedative used for calming the nerves.
What is Multani Mitti?
Multani Mitti, also called Fuller’s earth, is a clay material that is very rich in minerals and has hydrating properties. It is believed to be originated from a city called Multan, situated in Pakistan in modern times.
Multani Mitti is the name where it comes from. The composition of Multani Mitti contains calcium bentonite, magnesium chloride, aluminium silicates etc.
Multani Mitti is available in different colours as well like green, white, brown, yellow etc. Earlier, Multani Mitti was mined in Pakistan and then exported to several regions of the Indian subcontinent.
In the ancient period, all the queens and Princesses would apply Multani Mitti to their faces. So the demand for it was very high. Multani Mitti has inflammatory properties also. As it was apple into the feet during the second world war.
Multani Mitti is considered best for oily skin types. It can be applied daily as well. Benefits include brightening skin tone and pigmentation, reducing acne, removing dirt and excess oil, impurities, dead skin cells etc.
Main Differences Between Sandalwood Powder and Multani Mitti
- Sandalwood Powder originated from Santalum Album or Sandalwood tree. Multani Mitti originated from Multan city, Pakistan.
- Uses of Sandalwood Powder include face pack, for fair skin, antiseptic, anti-bacterial properties remove acne and blackheads etc. Uses of Multani Mitti includes helping to fight acne, brightening the skin and reducing pigmentation, removing excess oil from skin, dead skin cells etc.
- Sandalwood Powder is applied with turmeric, aloe vera gel, curd, besan, rose water etc. Multani Mitti is usually applied with rose water on oily skin.
- Disadvantages of Sandalwood Powder are irritation, dermatitis, itching, nausea, and stomach upset if the white powder is used. The disadvantage of Multani Mitti is that skin becomes dehydrated if left for a longer time. If consumed, it can cause poisoning, bleeding of the intestine and choking.
- Sandalwood Powder is more expensive than Multan Mitti. Because Sandalwood is one of the best and most expensive wood.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.