With the world now getting modern-day after day with new inventions and technologies being tested and added, we have come to a pretty simple world compared to the earlier centuries.
These innovations have created human living a very easy one. Two of these creations are Software and Web development.
- Software development refers to creating applications that run on a computer or mobile device, while web development is the creation of websites and web applications.
- Software development can be done for a specific operating system or device, while web development is platform-independent and can be accessed through a web browser.
Software vs Web Development
Software compromises a more prominent topic than Web Development. Web Development is only connected to creating and designing the sites/pages on the web.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
The software comprises almost everything we see today, from an ATM machine to a mobile phone. In layman’s terms, it is simply a collection of programs that is a nonphysical object.
Web Development is the process of creating and maintain the website that we see on the Internet. It consists of everything starting from designing the outlook of the website, how fast and proficient it is, to how it should be regularly updated with the newest trends.
|Parameters of Comparison||Software||Web Development|
|Another name||Application||Website development|
|Main use||To generate programs and complete tasks.||To create, search and use old and new sites.|
|Discovered by||Alan Turing||Sir Tim Berners-Lee|
|Year of Discovery||1935||1989|
|Examples||MS Word, ATM Machine||HTML, XML|
What is Software?
Software, one of the best innovations from the ”Information age,” is also known as “the “Computer age” or “Digital age” that shows a rapid growth of changing to Information technology from traditional industrial uses. The term ”Software” was first used by statistician John W. Turkey in 1958 in an article he published.
There are mainly two types of software: Applications and Systems but a third one, Utility Software, is also used.
Application Software: It is software that does the complete work Examples include: M.S Office, Browser
System Software: Software operated by the computer’s hardware is called System Software. It fulfils the gap between a human being and the hardware (ex, computer) since both the bodies are users of different languages.
Utility Software: They are those types of software that help in completing a particular task, not complete it but help. They don’t fully complete a task; rather, just like a real-life utility, they are there to assist in achieving a program.
What is Web Development?
These are sites that run on Web browsers. All the interfaces we see, texts, images and blogs, etc., are all made using Web Development.
Next year, in 1992, the web improved more and images could now be seen on the same page as the text. It was then and now; it has changed, and the world is literally at your fingertips.
There are generally two categories of Web development now:
Back-end Development: Server-side programming is also a name that can be used for back-end development. It is the central part where the coding of the website takes place.
Front-end Development: It converts the data we have to get from the back-end design into a graphical one. It is the thing that a user first looks upon when they open a particular website.
Often, people who want to hire somebody to make a website for them have a person or a team for front-end development and another for back-end development.
Main Differences Between Software and Web Development
- There are no types of Web Development. It consists of all the sites that we see around the web. On the other hand, the software has many kinds, with Application and System Software being the most common.
- The software has been used since 1935; it is a much older process than Web Development, which came about approx—50 years after it.
- Software is a more complex concept compared to Website Development.
- Website Development requires internet use for everything, while Software does not always require hosting.
- It is easier in Website Development to update and customize, while once the software is ready, it is more complicated than in Website Development.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.