Sweaters and sweatshirts are clothing materials that are used by people to keep themselves warm in cold weather.
The terms sweater and sweatshirt are often used interchangeably by many people, but they are two different clothing items for both men and women.
There are some similarities between Sweaters and sweatshirts in that they are both comfy and warm.
- Sweaters are knitted garments made from natural or synthetic yarns, while sweatshirts are typically made of thick, cotton-based materials.
- Sweaters provide warmth and style for formal or casual occasions, while sweatshirts offer a more relaxed, sporty appearance.
- Sweatshirts include features like hoods and pockets, whereas sweaters generally have simpler designs without such additional elements.
Sweater vs Sweatshirt
A sweater is a knitted garment that is worn to keep warm and is composed of wool, cotton, or synthetic fibers. A sweatshirt is a soft, loose-fitting garment made of fleece or cotton that is intended for informal wear and comfort.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
A sweater is an item of clothing manufactured by knitting or crocheting to provide warmth from the cold weather. They are versatile in nature and are heavier than sweatshirts.
They may or may not have sleeves. They are to provide warmth and not to absorb sweat from the body.
A sweatshirt is made from fabric to provide warmth to the body and to also absorb sweat from the body. They are just worn with casual outfits and thus are not as versatile as sweaters.
Sweatshirts have long sleeves; they have fleece on the inside, which provides warmth to the body and are mainly made from cotton, which absorbs sweat.
|Parameters of Comparison||Sweater||Sweatshirt|
|Material||A sweater is knitted from different fibers like wool, cotton, or any other natural textile.||A sweatshirt is not knitted by hand, it is generally not made of wool.|
|Purpose||It is manufactured to provide warmth to the body.||It is manufactured to provide warmth and to also absorb sweat.|
|Heavy||A sweater is heavier than a sweatshirt.||A sweatshirt is heavier than a regular t-shirt.|
|Sleeves||A sweater has sleeves or is sleeveless.||A sweatshirt has long sleeves.|
|Different names||A sweater in the UK is called a cardigan while in the US is called a jumper.||A sweatshirt in the UK is called a jersey.|
|Hoodies||The sweater comes without hoodies.||Some Sweatshirts have hoodies attached to them.|
What is Sweater?
A sweater is clothing manufactured by knitting or crocheting to provide warmth from the cold weather. They are made from knitting thus, they are flexible and elastic.
They can have buttons or a zipper. The knitters on the sweater also create different types of patterns.
People of different ages and gender wear them. Sweaters are also fashionably worn in many types of outfits. Sweaters do not absorb sweat like sweatshirts.
Sweaters are knitted from different fibers like wool, cotton, or any other natural textile. They can have long sleeves or no sleeves.
They also come in different necklines like v-neck, turtleneck, crewneck, or hemline. They are versatile as they can be worn with any dress, jeans, or leggings.
A sweater in the UK is called a cardigan, while in the US it is called a jumper.
What is Sweatshirt?
A sweatshirt is made from fabric to provide warmth to the body and also to absorb the sweat from the body. They are mainly manufactured from fabrics like polyester or cotton or are made from artificial fibers.
It has fleece or thick cotton or polyester on the inside to provide warmth to the body and to also absorb sweat.
They can be a pullover or a hoodie with different patterns and graphics made by printing, dyeing, or even sewing.
A sweatshirt is heavier than a regular t-shirt and only has long sleeves. Sweatshirts are not as versatile in nature as sweaters because they are only worn with a casual outfit or are worn with sweatpants, they give an athletic appearance.
Sweatshirts are not elastic. They also come in different shapes and sizes like the crew neck, rolled sleeve, v-neck, collarless, or oversized.
A sweatshirt in the UK is called a jersey.
Main Differences Between Sweater and Sweatshirt
- Sweaters are more versatile than sweatshirts thus, sweaters can be worn with any outfit, while sweatshirts are only worn with a casual outfit.
- Sweaters are heavier than sweatshirts, while sweatshirts are heavier than regular t-shirts.
- The sweater has sleeves or is sleeveless, while the sweatshirt has long sleeves.
- Sweaters are manufactured to provide warmth, while sweatshirts are manufactured to provide warmth and to absorb sweat.
- Sweaters are knitted or crocheted, whereas sweatshirts are not knitted or crocheted.
- Sweatshirts have a baggy feeling, whereas sweaters have a fitted feel.
- Sweaters do not have hoodies attached to them, whereas sweatshirts have hoodies attached to them.
- Sometimes sweatshirts have pockets on the front, whereas sweaters do not have any pockets.
- Sometimes sweatshirts have drawstrings in the front with hoodies, whereas sweaters do not have this.
- Sweatshirts are less elastic than sweaters.
- Sweatshirts can be worn while exercising, but sweaters are not worn while exercising.
- They also have different names like a sweater in the UK is called a cardigan, while in the US is called a jumper, while A sweatshirt in the UK is called a jersey.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Chara Yadav holds MBA in Finance. Her goal is to simplify finance-related topics. She has worked in finance for about 25 years. She has held multiple finance and banking classes for business schools and communities. Read more at her bio page.