Science is a wide term that is comprised of various branches. Chemistry is one of the science branches that include the composition and the properties of matter or compounds.
Table of Contents
It includes the reaction of substances with another. This branch is further divided into organic and inorganic chemistry.
Organic compounds are those that contain carbon while inorganic compounds do not contain carbon as the constituent element.
Organic vs Inorganic Chemistry
The main difference between organic and inorganic chemistry is that organic chemistry is comprised of the organic compounds that are derived from living organisms are primarily contain carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. On the contrary, inorganic chemistry is comprised of inorganic compounds that do not contain hydrocarbons. This includes metals, salt, etc.
Organic Chemistry is primarily the study of compounds that contain hydrocarbon and carbon composition.
It includes the reaction, preparation, and structure of the elements that are originated from living organisms or living things.
Inorganic chemistry on the other side includes compounds that do not contain hydrocarbons like iron, nickel, copper, etc.
Generally, the inorganic compounds are categorized into acids, bases, and salts. Table salt also called Sodium chloride is the major example of the inorganic chemistry.
Comparison Table Between Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
|Parameters of Comparison||Organic Chemistry||Inorganic Chemistry|
|Type of Compounds||Organic chemistry is the brand of chemistry that includes the organic compounds that are mainly consists of carbon atom||Inorganic chemistry is also a chemistry branch that comprised of inorganic compounds that do not contain carbon (exceptions are there)|
|Volatile||Compounds in organic chemistry are more volatile and also highly inflammable||Compounds in inorganic chemistry are comparatively non-volatile and not inflammable|
|Existence||It contain compounds that are mainly exists in three major forms, gases, liquids, and solids||Compounds under this branch exist in solid state|
|Soluble||Organic compounds are insoluble in water but they are soluble in organic solvents||Inorganic compounds are water soluble|
|Origin||Organic chemistry is comprised of the compounds that are present in the living organisms or living things||Compounds in inorganic chemistry are present and associated with non-living things|
|Bond||The compounds are linked with each other through covalent bond||Ionic bond is formed between the atoms of the molecules|
|Conductors||In organic chemistry, compounds are poor conductor of heat and electricity||Inorganic chemistry include the substances that are considered as good conductors of heat and electricity|
What is Organic Chemistry?
Organic chemistry is the study of organic compounds that contain carbon. Hydrocarbon is considered the simplest carbon bond also called alkanes and saturated hydrocarbons.
Carbon can form covalent bonds and due to this property, it combines with other elements and consequently result in the formation of carbon-based structures.
Various physical and chemical properties are associated with the composition of the organic compounds. They are present in living organisms and can also be prepared in the laboratory.
These compounds are mainly comprised of hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen and have a complex structure that consequently results in high molecular weight.
Although these substances are soluble in organic solvents but insoluble in water.
The acids and bases of the organic chemistry have limited dissociation and are hence not very strong but they are volatile.
Organic compounds play a significant role because nearly all living organisms are comprised of carbon or contain carbon. Fats, protein and carbohydrates are some major structures of organic compounds.
If combined with metals, the organic compounds formed organometallic compounds and these compounds are used for industrial purposes as catalysts, promoters, and stabilizers.
What is Inorganic Chemistry?
Inorganic chemistry deals with inorganic compounds that do not contain carbon as the major constituting element.
This branch of chemistry plays an important role in the industry aspects as it is comprised of the substances or compounds that are specifically used in material science, fuels, and serves other purposes as well.
Inorganic chemistry categorized the compounds in acids, bases, and salts. These are majorly ionic compounds with high melting points and crystalline structures.
Organic chemistry is comprised of coordination compounds, the main group compounds, cluster compounds, coordination compounds, bioinorganic compounds, and transition metal compounds.
Each of these compounds possesses a specific composition and relevant physical and chemical properties.
Main Differences Between Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic and Inorganic chemistry is the branches of the chemistry that deals with different type of compounds and substances. Organic chemistry is the brand of chemistry that includes the organic compounds that are mainly consists of carbon atom. On the contrary, Inorganic chemistry is also a chemistry branch that comprised of inorganic compounds that do not contain carbon. Although, exceptions are there.
- Compounds in organic chemistry are more volatile and also highly inflammable. But inorganic compounds are comparatively non-volatile and not inflammable.
- Solubility is an important factor in various reactions. Organic compounds are insoluble in water but they are soluble in organic solvents. On the contrary, compounds in the organic chemistry are water soluble.
- Organic chemistry is comprised of the compounds that are present in the living organisms or living things. While on the other side, Compounds in inorganic chemistry are present and associated with non-living things.
- The type of bond between the atoms in the molecule plays an important role in defining the chemical and physical properties of the substance. In organic chemistry compounds are linked with each other through covalent bond and are poor conductor of heat and electricity. On the contrary, compounds in inorganic chemistry share ionic bond and are good conductors of heat and electricity.
Chemistry is a branch of science that is further subdivided into organic and inorganic chemistry.
Both of these chemistry branches have specific compounds and substances with their respective properties and composition.
Organic chemistry includes carbon containing organic compounds while inorganic chemistry comprised of inorganic compounds that do not contain carbon.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️