Both Telecommunications and Networking appear similar but are very different from each other. Both have different medium of data transmission, hardware and software required and causes of failure in data transmission.
Telecommunication require electromagnetic receptive devices whereas networking requires cables, wires or atmosphere as a medium of transmission.
The difference between Telecommunications and Networking is that Telecommunications refers to the transferring of some information or data through some distance in the form of electromagnetic signals at the receptive ends of one another. On the other hand, networking is the process of interconnecting of devices to a main system also known as the server.
Comparison Table Between Telecommunications and Networking
|Parameters of Comparison||Telecommunications||Networking|
|Definition||It is the transfer of some information or data through some distance in the form of electromagnetic signals at the receptive ends of one another.||It is the process of interconnecting of devices to a main system also known as the server.|
|Medium||It needs the electromagnetic receptive devices like the radios, phones, television in the form of text, sound, image and video.||It needs physical mediums like cables, wires and atmosphere to be carried at distances at a very small range.|
|Cause of Failure||Cause of failure in transmitting the information is to the miscommunication in software applications and also the positioning of the main wave recipient.||Cause of failure could be the unplugged cables that will result in lack of a medium of transition and there will be a cut off from the main server.|
|Hardware Required||The required hardware components are Satellite system, Coaxial cable, Fiber optic cable, Receiving systems or devices and Twisted pair wire.||It requires hardware devices like Computer, Router, Nic, Switch, Wire cables and Hub.|
|Advantages||It has some advantages but less than that of a network.||It has more advantages than telecommunications.|
What is Telecommunications?
The Telecommunication is the transfer of data or information through some distance in the form of electromagnetic signals to the receptive ends of one another.
Transmission of data or information in telecommunication is through electromagnetic receptive devices such as the radios, phones or television in form of text, sound, image and video.
The transmission of data or information in telecommunications can be divided into two parts:
- Devices like radio and telephones mostly use the analogue signals.
- Computers use the digital signal.
The Modulators also known as Modems are used in the transmission of signals in telecommunications. The main function of any modulator is to convert the signals from one form to another for easy transmission of information.
Failure can be caused while transmitting the data or information in telecommunications could be because of miscommunication or settings in the software applications and also because of the positioning of the main wave recipient.
In telecommunications, there is a need of certain hardware components such as Satellite system, Coaxial cable, Fiber optic cable, Receiving systems or devices and Twisted pair wire.
What is Networking?
The Networking means the the process of interconnecting of devices to a main system that is known as the server.
Networking needs physical mediums such as cables, wires and atmosphere to transmit data to some distance at a very small range. The system applications and protocols are required in order to get good performance,
Failure can be caused while transmitting the data or information in networking can be caused by:
- The unplugged cables will cause a lack of medium in the transition of data and hence there will be a cut-off from the main server.
- When the protocol between the two communicating mediums is not the same, the two mediums won’t be able to communicate and hence networking will fail.
There are many advantages of networking such as:
- Information stored in one device which is connected to the main server can be shared within the network by locating the information in a suitable file that can be easily accessed by the entire network.
- Resources can be easily shared and used at the same time within the network.
- The software can also be shared within the network, hence no need to install the software on every system from the source.
- The devices present in the same network can communicate with each other and provides a place to share data with each other.
In order to have a proper working system in networking, there is a need of two components of communication, ie, both software and hardware.
Software: It is the non-tangible part of the system such as the data, applications and etc. The two software required are:
- Operating System: The software that is used to manage other devices from the main server.
- Applications. The software required to enable the devices to run the information and to serve the required purpose in storing and data transformation.
Hardware: It is the physical part of the system. The hardware components required in the networking are:
- Wire cables
Main Differences Between Telecommunications and Networking
- Telecommunication is the transfer of information or data through a distance in the form of electromagnetic signals at the receptive ends of one another. On the other hand, Networking is the process of interconnecting devices to a main system also known as the server.
- Telecommunication needs electromagnetic receptive devices to transmit data in form of text, sound, image and video whereas Networking needs cables, wires and atmosphere to carry the data to a distance.
- In telecommunication, failure can occur due to miscommunication in software applications and also the positioning of the main wave recipient whereas in networking, failure can be caused due to unplugged cables that will be a cut off from the main server.
- Telecommunication require hardware like Satellite system, Coaxial cable, Fiber optic cable, Receiving systems or devices and Twisted pair wire whereas networking requires hardware like Computer, Router, Nic, Switch, Wire cables and Hub.
- Networking has more advantages than the telecommunications.
Telecommunication and networking are two different terms while transmitting the data. Networking can be considered as a small part of telecommunications.
Both of them require different medium, hardware and software of data transmission. Failure can be caused due to some reason in both of them.
Networking has more merits than telecommunications.
Table of Contents