The Mediterranean region and the Middle East are two of the world’s largest and most famous regions. Both the regions, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern, are very famous all over the world.
People think that both the regions, the Mediterranean and the Middle Eastern, are comprised of almost the same countries. But it is not so.
- The Mediterranean region encompasses various countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea, including parts of Europe, Africa, and Asia. At the same time, the Middle East refers to a region in Western Asia, including countries such as Iraq, Iran, and Saudi Arabia.
- Mediterranean cuisine is known for its emphasis on fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, and olive oil, while Middle Eastern cuisine features more meat, grains, and legumes, with a stronger focus on spices.
- The Mediterranean climate is characterized by hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters. At the same time, the Middle East experiences more extreme temperatures, with hot, dry summers and cold, wet winters in some areas.
The Mediterranean vs the Middle Eastern
The Mediterranean region covers an area of about 970,000 square miles. The climate in this region is humid, with hot summers and cold winters with great biodiversity. The Middle East covers an area of about 3,500,000 square miles. This region contains 18 countries, and the climate is mostly hot.
The Mediterranean Region is comprised of seven Member States, either partly (Portugal, Spain, Italy, France) or entirely (Malta, Cyprus, Greece) and the Mediterranean Sea.
It has prominent regional characteristics: a climate of dry, humid, and warm summers and cold winters and a hilly landscape.
The Mediterranean has not solely very wealthy biodiversity but also a huge number of species that are not found anywhere in the world.
The Middle Eastern is a geographical expression is used to refer to the areas bridging Arabian Peninsula, Levant, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt, Iraq, and Iran..the expression came into extensive usage as a substitution of the term Near East starting in the early 20th century.
The region has numerous rivers which provide support to agricultural activities in very limited areas, such as the Tigris, the Nile Delta, and Euphrates watersheds of Mesopotamia (Kuwait, Syria, and Iraq).
|Parameters of Comparison
|The population of the Mediterranean is 480 million.
|The population of the Middle Eastern is 411 million.
|Majorly goats and sheep can be found in the Mediterranean climate type.
|Middle Eastern deserts are home to sand cats, gazelles, oryx, camels, lizards, goats, and cattle.
|There are 22 countries in the Mediterranean.
|There are 18 countries in the Middle Eastern.
|The discovery of the Mediterranean took place around 5.9 million years ago.
|The discovery of the Middle Eastern took place around 3500 B.C.
|The Phoenicians are referred to as the founder of the Middle Eastern.
|The Middle Eastern was founded by the Sumerians.
What is the Mediterranean?
The finest safeguard Mediterranean Region, the pertinent member states, and crucial stakeholders gang up to conceive nature defence measures tailored to suit the specific requirements of the complete Region and to aim its particular pressures.
The Mediterranean Region is also very fickle with unexpectedly heavy rainfalls or periods of heavy winds like mistrial, etc.
The climate of the region has an intense impact on the wildlife and vegetation of the region of the Mediterranean. The Mediterranean’s wildlife and habitats are very particular, as the last Ice Age did not influence the region.
The rate of indigenousness is unat its peak. The region of the Mediterranean world’s one of the biggest hotspots of biodiversity. The forests of the Mediterranean are much more varied, porting around 100 distinct types of species of trees.
The area might be too dry for trees, various other areas of the Mediterranean are wrapped in grasslands. The region of the Mediterranean is comprised of high mountains and shores that are rocky and stony.
The scrub of the Mediterranean with numerous flowers and fragrant plants is the straightforward outcome of centuries of the activities of humans.
What is the Middle Eastern?
Middle Eastern, the term, has guided to few uncertainties over its transforming definitions and has been seen by many to be prejudicial or a term that mainly focuses on European history and culture.
The region of the Middle Eastern is majorly incorporated of the territories comprised in the intimately connected of Western Asia, but the Caucasus is not included and comprises the entire Egypt and not just the Sinai Peninsula.
The major part of the Middle Eastern is the world of Arabs (13 out of 18). The countries with the most population in the region are Iran, Egypt, and Turkey, while Saudi Arabia is the largest country in the Middle Eastern by its area.
The history of the Middle Eastern can be traced back to ancient times, with the geopolitical significance of the region being realized Foe millennia.
Arabs account for major socio-ethnic teaming in the region of the Middle Eastern, coming before Persians, Kurds, Turks, Copts, Iraqi, Jews, and Greek Cypriots.
The climate of this region, the Middle Eastern, is hot. The area of the Middle Eastern has very little or no rain at all, specifically in the regions of the Egyptians and the Peninsula.
Main Differences Between the Mediterranean and the Middle Eastern
- The climate of the Mediterranean is warm and dry, while the climate of the Middle Eastern is hot.
- Languages spoken in the Mediterranean region are Italic, Ancient Greek, Kurdish, and so on, while the languages spoken in the Middle Eastern are Arabic, Turkish, Hebrew, etc.
- The Mediterranean dishes include pizza, pasta, tapas, etc., while the popular Middle Eastern dishes include kebabs, dolmas, yoghurt, etc.
- Trees like holm oaks, arbutuses, olive trees, laurels, carob trees, pine trees, junipers, cypresses, and so on are found in the Mediterranean region whereas trees like Cedar of Lebanon, Fan Palm, Fig, and many more are found in the region of Middle Eastern.
- The Mediterranean cuisines include Greek, Turkish, Egyptian, etc., while the Middle Eastern cuisines include Arab, Georgian, etc.
Last Updated : 25 November, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.