Umpire and referee are terms that are both related to sports. They provide their services in the ongoing matches and have different purposes in the game.
Though their jobs may seem similar, different kinds of sports use one of the two terms to represent the person in authority.
Umpire vs Referee
The difference between umpire and referee is that an umpire is a person who is a sports official who provides his services in various kinds of sports competitions whereas a referee is a person who can ensure that the players follow all the rules and regulations while playing the game.
In general, an umpire’s or a referee’s job is to determine whether an act that needs arbitration is legal or not. The umpire is responsible for the participation of players in case any player of a certain team behaves inappropriately or in an illegal manner.
Sports that use umpires are cricket, tennis, baseball, Aussie rules football, etc. Sports that have referees are lacrosse, dodgeball, basketball, boxing, ice hockey, etc. The American football is one of the sports that has both a referee and an umpire.
|Parameters of Comparison||Umpire||Referee|
|Definition||An umpire is an official who watches the match or game closely to enforce rules and to maintain a fair game play.||A referee is a sport’s official who also watches the match up close and makes sure all the players adhere to the rules and regulations of the game.|
|Purpose in the game||An umpire settles disputes between the players that the mediators are not able to.||A referee ensures that the quality of the game is maintained and no illegal act is happening in the match.|
|Sports||Cricket, baseball, tennis, Aussie rules football, etc.||American football, lacrosse, dodgeball, basketball, boxing, ice hockey, etc.|
|Number||There is one umpire in the American football game.||There is one referee in the American football game.|
|Other terms used||An umpire is only called an umpire. There can be different umpires like field umpires, boundary umpires and others.||A referee has other names like linesman, commissaire, timekeeper, judge, touch judge and many others. It is different in different games.|
What is Umpire?
An umpire is a person who is a sport’s official in various sports who watches the match closely being on the field, enforces the rules on the players playing in the match, provides his services and ensures if a fair game play is maintained throughout the match.
An umpire also settles disputes between the players or teams that the mediators are not able to sort out and take decisions accordingly and fairly.
Sports that have umpires are tennis, baseball, cricket, Aussie rules football, etc. An umpire is not called by any other name besides umpire. There are many kinds of umpires in a match like field umpires, boundary umpires and others.
What is Referee?
A referee is a person who in a match ensures that all the teams follow all the rules and regulations while playing the game, ensures that the quality of the match and game is maintained, takes decisions according to the situation of the match and looks out for any inappropriate behaviour or illegal activity shown by any player or team throughout the whole match.
Sports that have referees are dodgeball, lacrosse, basketball, ice hockey, boxing, etc. Referees are differently called in various kinds of sports.
Some of the terms used in alternative to referee are timekeeper, linesman, judge, commissaire, touch judge and many others.
Main Differences Between Umpire and Referee
- An umpire is an official who watches the match or game closely on the field, enforces rules and maintains a fair game play whereas a referee is a sport’s official who also watches the match up close and makes sure all the players do not behave inappropriately and also adhere to the rules and regulations of the game.
- The sports that have umpires are Cricket, baseball, tennis, Aussie rules football and others while the sports that have referees are American football, lacrosse, dodgeball, basketball, boxing, ice hockey and many others.
- The umpires are only called umpires and do not have any other names whereas a referee can be called differently in different games like linesman, timekeeper, commissaire, judge, touch judge and others.
- The number of umpires can range from two to four in different sports whereas the number of referees are not many in any sports.
- An umpire’s purpose in the game is to settle disputes between the players and teams that the mediators are not able to sort while a referee’s purpose in a game is to ensures that the quality of the game is maintained throughout the match and no illegal act or inappropriate behaviour is shown by any player in the match.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️