WCDMA stands for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access and GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communication. Both are mobile communication standards that are used in mobile networks to keep up all communications between mobiles.
WCDMA vs GSM
The difference between WCDMA and GSM is the frequency band that is being used by them. WCDMA is a member of the new 3G technology group, whereas GSM is a 2G technology.
GSM is a technology that is used in 2G mobile networks. It is mobile communication that has another manner of working.
WCDMA is a technology which is used in 3G mobile networks and helps to hold all mobile communications. These communications can include text messages, voice calls, or data transfer.
|Parameter of Comparison||WCDMA||GSM|
|Network||WCDMA is a technology that is used in 3G mobile networks.||GSM is used in 2G mobile networks and it came into existence much before the WCDMA.|
|Speed||The speed and efficiency is better in WCDMA. This is because of the technology that is used in the network.||The speed and efficiency are not up to the mark in GSM as compared to WCDMA.|
|Use||WCDMA is used all over the world, so if you are using a mobile that has WCDMA support, there won’t be any issues in switching to different networks.||GSM was evolved in Europe and so it is mainly used there.Hence phones with GSM may be suitable in other regions.|
|Year of first use||WCDMA was first introduced in 2001.||GSM was first introduced in 1991.|
|Area of coverage||The area of coverage for WCDMA is more.||The area of coverage for GSM is less.|
What is WCDMA?
WCDMA, which stands for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access, is a communication standard that is used in 3G mobile networks. It helps to support all mobile communications by using radiofrequency.
It also allows the network providers the capability to use broadband internet services. FOMA was the first WCDMA network, it stands for Freedom of Mobile Multimedia Access and was first started in Japan in 2001.
Today WCDMA is the technology that most people prefer because it is better, advanced and newer. Hence it is being installed in many regions and may soon replace GSM.
Though WCDMA is becoming popular and being used in all mobile devices, there are a few models that do not assist WCDMA. Hence when you buy a new mobile phone, you should always make sure that it supports WCDMA, so that you can switch from one network to another.
Features of WCDMA:
- It is strong for multiway delays.
- It has smooth connectivity world-wide.
- The signals of data quality and voice are high.
- The error rates are small-scaled.
- The high bandwidth of 5 MHz is present.
What is GSM?
GSM stands for Global System for Mobile Communication. It is a technology that is used in 2G mobile networks, for supporting all mobile communications.
Presently, GSM is the standard that is most largely used. It came into existence way before WCDMA and used radio technology to transfer data. It was first used in 1991 and evolved in Europe.
The speed and the efficiency are less in GSM, but it still keeps the communication going smoothly. It ensures that the messages and the calls are carried out in a proper way.
The area of coverage of GSM is less today. It is not much used in phones nowadays.
It can be observed that WCDMA is becoming popular and more common in mobile phones and soon it will replace and lay off GSM. But today, GSM is the most widely used technology all over the world.
Features of GSM:
- The speech quality is high.
- In order to make calls secure, it uses encryption.
- It has a Short Message Service. (SMS)
- It is compatible with the integrated services digital network (ISDN).
- It supports international roaming.
Main Differences Between WCDMA and GSM
- Both were started for Mobile communications, but WCDMA is a technology that is used in 3G mobile networks whereas GSM is a technology that is used in 2G mobile networks. GSM came into existence much before the WCDMA.
- WCDMA is used worldwide whereas GSM evolved in Europe and so the phones that support GSM might not be suitable in other regions.
- WCDMA is being preferred more nowadays since it is newer, more advanced and transfers 3G data which is definitely faster than 2G data. It covers the area of GSM and is replacing it.
- The speed and the efficiency are more in WCDMA because of the technology used in this network, whereas the speed in GSM is less.
- GSM was first introduced in 1991, whereas WCDMA came into existence in 2001.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
I am Sandeep Bhandari; I have 20 years of experience in the technology field. I have various technical skills and knowledge in database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about me on my bio page.