By accessing computers, the internet, and other devices, services, we got the place to collect and secure all the data in one place. With that need for storage and space started to grow. And our saviors Archiving and compressing tools came in the frame.
WinRAR and WinZip are such tools. Both have a genuinely simple and understanding interface and are the most used file compressors to date. They serve the best of their service and made us; easy to compress and store our files securely to create more space. But they have a few differences.
WinRAR vs WinZip
The difference between WinRAR and WinZip is that WinRAR is free, and WinZip is in paid form. WinRAR has a paid version too, but if we don’t buy it, the software will not make you do so, let you use its services freely. But with WinZip, the case is not the same; it will stop working if you don’t pay for it.
Comparison Table Between WinRAR and WinZip
|Parameter of Comparison||WinRAR||WinZip|
|Full Form||The full form of RAR is Roshal Archives.||Does Not have any Full Form.|
|Size of the Tools||3 MB of space WinRAR takes.||57.13 MB of space WinZip takes.|
|What it does||The main tasks done by WinRAR are Compress, Encrypt, Package, Backup.||The main tasks done by WinZip are Zip, Unzip, Protect, Share.|
|Interface||The website is simple and optimistic.||The website is detailed and informative.|
|Free Trial||40 days of free trial is given.||21 days of free trial is given.|
|When Free Trial’s Over||WinRAR has a paid version. But it still works for free, although it will send a box message to use the paid version, but does not make it a compulsion. You can hit the ‘close’ button on the box to keep using it.||After 21 days, WinZip does not work unless you pay for it. But it’s still affordable.|
|File Extension Software||It requires file extension software.||It does not require file extension software.|
|Compatible Operating Systems||Windows, Linux, macOS, Free BSD, and Android are the compatible systems for WinRAR.||Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android are the compatible systems for WinZip.|
|Supportive Languages||WinRAR is available in around 48 languages in the world.||WinZip is available in 12 languages.|
|File Compression Speed||Slower than WinZip.||Faster than WinRAR.|
|Maximum archive storage||An unlimited amount of data can be saved.||It has limited storage for up to 16 Billion GB sized huge files.|
What is WinRAR?
The inventor of WinRAR Archiver is Eugene Roshal (A Russian software Engineer). It is a trialware archiving tool. The full form of RAR is Roshal Archives. In the beginning, it used to support only the Windows operating system. Now it also supports Free BSD, Linux, macOS, and Android devices.
WinRAR can compress, encrypt, package, backup, and secure the files. Its free trial is up to 40 days, but after that, the software still works free. The popup box message appears to buy the paid version; you can click on ‘Close’ in the popup message to keep using free software. It requires other extension software to extract the file. ExtractNow is a free extractor for Windows.
The archiver is compatible with 48 known languages in the world. The maximum compression limit of files is Unlimited with WinRAR. With the help of default in-built NTFS (New Technology File System – Developed by Microsoft) and huge storage space in your device. With that, you can archive data for more than 85 EB (85 Billion GB).
What is WinZip?
WinZip International LLC and Corel Corporation invented WinZip Archiver. It is also a trialware archiving tool. WinZip does not have any full form. The formation of the name was by Philip Walter Katz (A Computer Programmer). The software works with the following operating systems: Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. It does not support Free BSD and Linux systems.
WinZip compressor zip, unzip, protect, and share files. Free trial of WinZip gets over after 21 days, later you have to buy the software, or it will stop working. Its Zip64 Extension gives a maximum compress limit of 16 EB (16 Billion GB). It does not require any other extension software to extract the file. It has an unzip system in-built.
English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Italian, Korean, Chinese, Russian, Dutch, and Czech are the 12 languages that the software is compatible with only. The website is specific and detailed with all the services it provides.
Main Differences Between WinRAR and WinZip
- WinRAR works free permanently even if you don’t pay for it. On the other hand, WinZip will stop working after the free-trial is over.
- WinRAR offers a free trial for 40 days, then sends a popping message to remind you to pay, but does not force; Whereas, WinZip gives 21 days for a free trial. After that, it asks to buy the paid version, or it stops working.
- Maximum archive storage of WinRAR is unlimited, which is even more than 85 Billion GB. Conversely, WinZip has limited storage of up to 16 Billion GB.
- WinRAR compresses your files. It also packs, encrypt, and backup them. WinZip zip and unzip your files as well as it gives to protect and share facilities.
- WinRAR is of 3 MB size, and WinZip is of 57.13 MB.
- File extractor is must require for extension of WinRAR files, and for WinZip files, it is an inherent service. You do not need any other software.
- Although WinZip is the paid, it works faster than WinRAR.
- WinRAR can be used in 48 languages, whereas WinZip just in 12.
- WinRAR supports Linux and Free BSD; unfortunately, WinZip does not.
Both the tools have different features, policies; and are unique in their ways. They are available in various languages and archives most of the file formats. WinRAR is unpaid as well as paid. Though, there’s no compulsion to buy the paid one. To operate WinZip permanently, you need to pay for it. The cost is not too high; it is still affordable. If you have enough budget, then you can purchase and enjoy the perks of it.
- A Comparative Study Among Various Algorithms for Lossless Airborne LiDAR Data Compression (ieee.org)
- A software for data compression using double differential transformation of sound signal (irbis-nbuv.gov.ua)
Table of Contents