The word ‘stationery’ is a collective term referring to writing equipments and office materials, including certain machinery. The term is derived from the ancient profession of the stationer, who provided book binding, copying, and publishing services at fixed spots near universities.
Stationery shops contain a variety of products which are not limited to writing aids. Over time, stationery has come to include anything and everything that may be required to put together a project by oneself, which also includes materials required for engraving and embossing.
Uses and types of stationery
Broadly speaking, types of stationery can be divided into office and school supplies depending upon the use of the product in question. Listed below are the basic purposes for which stationery can be used.
- Visual aids – An important function of stationery is to provide highlighters for visual aids. Such highlighters may be bright ink, brightly coloured sticky notes, post its, and stickers with messages. The bright colours ensure better chances of remembering important details and they come in handy in all situations.
- Beautification – You can make any drab looking project, file, notes, and paperwork look more accessible and approachable through stationery products. Sketch pens and coloured tapes are useful when it comes to study notes as well as charts. This category also includes colouring aids.
- Marking – Stationery is most useful in marking out sections which are important and you require quick access to for future reference.
- Tools needed for work – All the basic products which are found in an office qualify as stationery. Hole punches, printer cartridges, A4 sized sheets, and all sorts of writing equipments are essential to any establishment and are considered as stationery.
Advantages of using stationery
- The ‘charm factor’ of using stationery has been found in a lot of studies to be the reason why these products are in such demand. Aside from essentials these are also treated as luxury products to a certain extent and can make learning and working processes relaxing.
- Any business in order to function smoothly requires the availability of sufficient office supplies. Stationery ensures that work is completed properly and on time.
- There are innumerable organizational and storage benefits that come with using folders, files, marker pens, and other related products. This increases efficiency and hence profit margins and overall productivity.
- Using superior quality products stationery ensures that your finished project is finer, more accurate, and cohesive.
- Stationery products if bought in bulk cost much lesser and it is guaranteed that the material will not be wasted because of its regular use. Even if the products are not used regularly unless it is of a nature such as glue, it is not perishable.
Disadvantages of using stationery
- Because it is an ever expanding industry, there has been an unforeseen rise in fancier stationery products which have become more specialized and less durable in nature.
- Basic stationery is required and essential to a degree for all, but the rise of consumerism and the growing demands for inessential stationery products has resulted in unnecessary buying. It is very common to find multiple unused journals, diaries, and luxury pens in households which is not conducive and disadvantageous from the consumer’s end.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️