What are Area Codes?
Area codes are crucial to telephone numbers in many countries, including the United States and Canada. The three-digit prefixes help route your call to the right geographic region. These codes are an essential part of the North American Numbering Plan (NANP), which makes the communication process more efficient and organized.
When you make a phone call, the area code informs the telephone network where you’re trying to reach. It narrows down the call recipient’s location to a specific region, making it easier for the network to connect your call accurately and promptly. Each region has a unique area code, which allows for quick identification and helps avoid confusion between different parts of the country.
However, not all area codes are tied to a geographic location. Some codes, such as 855, are “toll-free” numbers, meaning they are not associated with any region. Instead, they are designed to provide a free calling service for the caller, regardless of their location within the NANP countries. This promotes better communication and accessibility to businesses and clients from various regions.
In conclusion, area codes are vital in simplifying and improving telecommunication services. They help identify the destination of a call, aid in call routing, and, in the case of toll-free numbers like 855, even enable cost-free calling for users across the NANP-member countries.
Exploring Area Code 855
Area code 855 is not tied to a specific geographical location. Instead, it belongs to a class of phone numbers known as toll-free numbers. These numbers can be used anywhere in the NANP (North American Numbering Plan), which includes the United States, Canada, Bermuda, and some Caribbean islands.
Assignment and Usage
When you encounter an 855 area code number, it indicates that the call is toll-free for you. Businesses and individuals can obtain and use these numbers, often for customer service or promotional purposes. To find out who is calling you from an 855 number, you can search for the number in a search engine like Google. Legitimate, commonly used numbers will show the user’s name, whether it’s a company or an individual. However, if the number does not appear in the search results, it may be unlisted or potentially associated with scams, so use caution when answering or responding to such calls.
Identifying the Caller
Utilizing Caller ID
When you receive a call from an 855 area code, your first step should be to check the caller ID. Caller ID displays the calling party’s phone number, and often their name or the company they represent. This initial check can help you determine if the caller is someone you know or a potentially legitimate business.
However, remember that caller ID spoofing allows callers to mask their true identity by displaying a false number or name. Therefore, it’s essential to exercise caution and verify the caller’s legitimacy through other methods if you are unsure.
Using Reverse Phone Lookup Services
To further identify the source of an 855 area code call, you can turn to reverse phone lookup services. These services allow you to search for information about a specific phone number by inputting it into their search bar. Many of these services are available online, some offering free lookups while others may charge a fee for more detailed information.
When using reverse phone lookup services, follow these steps:
- Enter the 10-digit phone number, including the 855 area code.
- Initiate the search, which may be called “Search Now”, “Lookup”, or another similar term.
- Review the results to uncover caller identity, location, and social profiles.
By following these steps, you can gather additional information about the caller, verify their legitimacy, and ultimately decide whether engaging in conversation with them is safe. If you find the caller suspicious or a spam caller, it’s best to avoid answering the call and potentially block the number to prevent future calls.
Dealing with Unwanted Calls
Implementing Call Blocking
You can use call-blocking features on your cell phone or home phone to block unwanted calls. Many phones have built-in options to block specific numbers or callers. Alternatively, you can download third-party call-blocking apps on your smartphone. Doing so can minimize the annoyance of receiving calls from area code 855 or any other unwanted numbers.
Some tips to help you with call blocking include:
- Checking your phone’s settings for built-in call-blocking functions
- Downloading and installing a reliable call-blocking app
- Regularly updating the list of blocked numbers
- Considering activating a global blocking feature, if available, to block all unknown numbers
Reporting to Authorities
If you continue receiving unwanted calls or suspecting a scam, it is crucial to report the numbers to the appropriate authorities. Doing so not only protects you, but also helps others by allowing the authorities to investigate and take necessary action against the scammers.
Here are the basic steps to report unwanted calls:
- Gather all the necessary information, such as the caller’s number, time, and content of the call or message.
- File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at DoNotCall.gov.
- Report the call to your state attorney general’s office for potential scams or illegal telemarketing.
Remember, staying vigilant and taking proactive measures can go a long way in dealing with unwanted calls and keeping your information safe.
Toll-Free Number Scams
Common Fraud Patterns
Toll-free numbers, such as area code 855, are often associated with scams due to their low cost for the caller. Scammers take advantage of these numbers to try and deceive the recipient. Some common patterns include:
- Impersonation: Scammers may pose as government officials, customer service representatives from well-known companies, or even family members needing assistance.
- Phishing: The goal of phishing is to trick you into providing sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords, or credit card details. Scammers will often prompt you to visit a fake website or reply to their message with the requested information.
- Robocalls: Automated messages persuade you to take specific actions, such as calling back an 855 number to “resolve an issue” or “claim a prize.”
While it is impossible to completely eliminate the risk of receiving a fraudulent call, there are several steps you can take to protect yourself:
- Do not share personal information: Be cautious about sharing personal or financial information over the phone, especially if you did not initiate the call.
- Research the caller: If you are unsure about the authenticity of a call, search for the organization’s official contact information and call them back directly.
- Block the number: If you receive a suspicious call from an 855 area code, consider blocking the number to prevent further contact.
- Report the scam: Report suspected scams to your local authorities or the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to help them track fraudulent activities.
Remember to stay vigilant and trust your instincts. If something feels off about a call, hanging up and taking the necessary precautions to protect yourself is best.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.