What is Zip Code?
A ZIP code is an abbreviation used for “Zone Improvement Plan” and is a numerical code used inside the United States to facilitate the efficient sorting and delivery of mail. Introduced by means of the US Postal Service (USPS) in 1963, ZIP codes help pinpoint unique geographic areas, making mail transport more correct and streamlined. The popular ZIP code format consists of five digits, with elective extra four-digit extensions (ZIP + four) for an even more unique area identity.
ZIP codes play an important function in diverse components of day-by-day lifestyles, from mail shipping and bundle monitoring to demographic analysis and advertising and marketing. They are used not simply by postal offerings but additionally by corporations, authorities, corporations, and researchers to segment regions for numerous purposes. ZIP codes are a fundamental part of the American postal machine, assisting in making sure that mail reaches its meant recipients in a well-timed way and contributing to the general performance of mail distribution inside the United States.
What is Postal Code?
A postal code, additionally known as a postcode, is an alphanumeric code used internationally to designate precise geographic regions or places for green mail sorting and delivery. These codes vary extensively in layout and nomenclature from U.S.A. To us, it serves the equally important cause of simplifying the mail distribution technique. Postal codes are essential for correct and well-timed mail transport, helping postal offerings discover the vacation spot of mail and programs exactly.
Postal codes regularly encompass a mixture of numbers, letters, or both, with every part supplying facts about one-of-a-kind degrees of geographic granularity, from broad regions to character streets or buildings. They are applied no longer best via postal services but additionally via companies, government corporations, and online systems for purposes consisting of area-primarily based offerings, market analysis, and demographic research.
Difference Between Zip Code and Postal Code
- Zip code is mainly used in the United States, specifically by the United States Postal Service (USPS). On the other hand, postal code is the general term used by mail delivery for specific geographic locations internationally.
- The geographic scope of the zip code is in the United States only, whereas, on the other hand, the geographical scope of the postal code is used globally.
- The alternate name of the zip code is ZIP or Zone Improvement Plan. In contrast, the alternate name of the postal code is postcode, PIN, or Postal Index Number.
- The format for zip code is mainly a 5-digit number with ZIP + 4 digits. At the same time, in the postal code, the format varies depending on the country and is made up of a combination of numbers, letters, or both.
- Zip code is primarily used to sort and deliver mail in the United States. On the other hand, the purpose of postal code is to sort, locate, and deliver the mail of the respective country. Also, it helps in identifying the geographical location of the place.
Comparison Between Zip Code and Postal Code
|Parameter of Comparison
|It is mainly used in the United States, specifically by the United States Postal Service (USPS)
|It is the general term used by mail delivery for specific geographic locations internationally
|In the United States
|Used on a global scale
|ZIP or Zone Improvement Plan
|Postcode, PIN, or Postal Index Number
|A 5-digit number with ZIP + 4 code
|It has various formats in different countries and is made up of a combination of letters, numbers, or both
|10001 (New York, NY)
|1100001 (New Delhi, India)
|It covers every territory and addresses in the United States
|Every country has its respective postal services accompanying the entire country
|It is standardized and maintained by the USPS only
|It is standardized and maintained by the individual postal services of the respective country
|Used to sort and deliver mail in the United States
|Used to sort, locate, and deliver the mails of the respective country. Also, it helps in identifying the geographical location of the place
Last Updated : 21 January, 2024
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.