The chair of the president of America is presumed to be the most powerful and influential position.
When we remember some of the most influential presidents of the United States, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington are such two names which start displaying in our minds. Their reputation speaks for them precisely.
These two were similar to each other in terms of holding the most powerful position but were a whole lot different in terms of other things.
Abraham Lincoln vs George Washington
The difference between Abraham Lincoln and George Washington can be marked very indisputably. The main distinction between the two is that the former was the Sixteenth president of America while the latter was the First person to be the president of America. Having belonged to two completely different backgrounds, they had a wholly distinct life from each other.
Abraham Lincoln won the sixteenth presidential election of the United States. He was born in the year 1809 in Kentucky.
He was already a very famous lawyer and statesman of America. But in 1860, he rose even higher when he won the presidential election and served the country till 1865 before he was brutally assassinated.
On the other hand, George Washington surfaced as the first-ever person to hold the presidential chair.
People know him better as the founding father of the United States. He used to be a very influential political figure of his time, and he even served the military being in the position of a military general.
|Parameters of Comparison||Abraham Lincoln||George Washington|
|Birth||February 12, 1809, on a spring farm near Hodgenville, Kentucky.||February 22, 1732, in Westmoreland County, Virginia.|
|Education||Lincoln’s education was an informal one. Earlier he was taught to read by two persons. However, he had a keen interest in reading for which he used to borrow books from other people.||Washington belonged to a wealthy family of Indiana which enabled him to learn subjects like Mathematics, Trigonometry and Mapmaking at a very young age.|
|Early Career||Lincoln started his career by standing for the Illinois General Assembly and eventually served in the military for a short span.||Washington was appointed as the major general for Virginia Militia. He then entered politics.|
|Presidential Position||sixteenth person to hold the position of the president of the U.S.||He was the first president of the U.S.|
|Tenure||March 4, 1861- April 15, 1865||April 30, 1789- March 4, 1797|
|Known For||Gettysburg Address, abolishing slavery and for being assassinated.||During America’s fight for freedom, he led the nation against the British.|
|Cause of Death||Assassinated.||An infection in the throat because of catching a cold on a snowy day.|
What is Abraham Lincoln?
Born in a small village in Kentucky, Abraham Lincoln was the second child of his parents. Burdened with poverty and hardships, he learned how to read and how to earn by the age of 10 only.
His situation stood as a barrier between him and his education, but Lincoln never gave up. He kept on finding ways to improve his knowledge by borrowing books and other things from many people.
He was self-educated and became a lawyer, but after seeing the situation of slavery in the country, he left his law practice and joined politics. He emerged as a leader of the Republican Party and reached a wide audience by way of his impactful debates.
Abraham Lincoln won the presidential election of 1860 and served the country for further 5 years. Some of his most famous works are:
- He led the country during the civil war and kept the North, and the South united despite many difficulties.
- He pronounced Emancipation Proclamation and ordered to free all the slaves in the South.
- He gave the Gettysburg Address in 1863, which is considered one of the most powerful speeches of American history.
He was shot dead by John Wilkes, an American stage actor, on April 15, 1865.
What is George Washington?
He took birth on February 22, 1732, in Westmoreland County, Virginia, in a well-settled family oriented towards land cultivation and plantation. With support from a local church, he received his elementary education in an informal manner.
During the French-Indian way, he happened to be the military-general in the army.
After retiring from the Virginia militia, Washington devoted most of his time to take care of his land holdings, managing livestock and learning about scientific advancements.
In the year 1765, he opposed the laws made by the British and took a leading role in resisting them. Over time, he led many small wars against the oppressors and gave leadership to the revolutionary movement.
After America won back her freedom, Washington was called to serve the country as its First President. In the presidential election of 1789, he got every single vote belonging to every single elector. He was the only American president to be elected unanimously.
On December 12, 1799, Washington caught a sore throat. His condition worsened, the band he finally succumbed to his illness.
Main Differences Between Abraham Lincoln and George Washington
- Abraham Lincoln was the Sixteenth person to become the president of America, while George Washington was the first.
- Abraham Lincoln belonged to a poor family and had to work to make a living from a very early age. And George Washington belonged to a well-to-do family of Virginia and had access to many facilities during his childhood.
- Abraham Lincoln barely managed to get proper education, for it was very expensive for him while George Washington learned about many subjects in his early days.
- Abraham Lincoln was a very popular statesman and public figure. He even served in the military for a short span. And on the other hand, George Washington served the post of military general before becoming emerging as a political leader.
- Abraham Lincoln won the presidential election in the year 1861, while George Washington became the president in 1789.
- Abraham Lincoln was assassinated while George Washington succumbed to a throat infection.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️