In America, the topic of Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis is so famous and worth knowing that it is now one of the most talked about. It is the most common topic to have a discussion for in the term paper.
Students in America love to write essays on such topics and share their views about them, plus how they have changed the scenario of the whole nation.
Not to mention that these personalities are very look alike and have done some serious work that should have some spotlight.
- Abraham Lincoln served as the 16th President of the United States and led the Union during the American Civil War, while Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederate States.
- Lincoln is known for issuing the Emancipation Proclamation and advocating for the abolition of slavery. In contrast, Davis aimed to preserve the institution of slavery and the Southern states’ rights.
- Lincoln was assassinated in 1865, while Davis was captured, imprisoned, and later released, living the remainder of his life as a private citizen.
Abraham Lincoln vs Jefferson Davis
Abraham Lincoln was the 16th President of the United States and the man who led the country during the Civil War and abolished slavery. Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederate States of America, which sought to secede from the United States and preserve the institution of slavery.
The 16th president of the United States was Abraham Lincoln, born on 12 February 1809. Lincoln was a very famous lawyer in America and a statesman, too.
Until his assassination in 1865, he served the nation and became the president of the United States in 1861. Through the famous American Civil War, Lincoln led the nation on his own.
Jefferson Davis, full name Jefferson Finis Davis. He was born on June 3 1808. Davis was a very famous American politician. From 1861 to 1865, he was held as the president of the Confederate state.
He was a member of the Democratic Party, and as its member, he also represented Mississippi in the United States Senate and in the House of Representatives before the American Civil War.
|Parameters of Comparison||Abraham Lincoln||Jefferson Davis|
|Born on||Abraham Lincoln was born on 12 February 1809.||June 3 in 1808.|
|Died on||Abraham Lincoln died on April 15 in 1865 at the age of 56.||Lincoln’s resting pLincoln’sincolLincoln’s|
|Ruled||Abraham Lincoln ruled as the president of the United States of America and the union.||Jefferson Davis ruled as the president of the confederate state.|
|Cause of death||Lincoln was assassinated in the middle of a play and was shot dead in the head.||Davis died due to Acute bronchitis while he was in New Orleans.|
|Resting place||Lincoln’s resting place is Lincoln’s tomb.||Davis’ resting place is Hollywood cemetery in Richmond.|
What is Abraham Lincoln?
Abraham Lincoln was an American lawyer and a statesman. He led the nation until his assassination and became the president of the United States. He was the 16th president in the line of the nation.
He was quite successful in preserving its union, abolishing slavery and modernizing the economy of the whole country. Lincoln had quite a poor background as he was born in utter poverty and was raised in Indiana state.
Lincoln educated himself and became a lawyer in the Illinois state legislature along with the congressman of the U.S. from Illinois state only.
Soon after, in 1849, he came to his law practice, but due to the increasing slavery, he joined the republican party and became the leader of it, and soon after, he stood against Stephen Douglas reaching the nation.
What is Jefferson Davis?
Jefferson Davis served the United States as the president of the Confederate States.
He was born in Kentucky in the house of a mild, prosperous farmer.
Davis was the youngest of ten children to his parents. He was raised in the state of Mississippi and also lived in Louisiana state for some time.
Davis served as a lieutenant in the military state army soon after his graduation for six whole years.
He also fought in the Mexican-American Civil War from 1864 to 1848. Davis was married to Sarah Knox Taylor. She was the daughter of the future president of the nation, Zachary Taylor.
Although Sarah died three months after their marriage as malaria struck both of them, Davis recovered from it soon.
When he was 36, he got married again to an 18-year-old and had six children with her.
Main Differences Between Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis
- The main difference between Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis is that Abraham was the president of the entire nation while Davis was the president of the confederate state while he also served the U.S. military.
- Talking about their birth, death, and age- Abraham Lincoln was born on 12 February 1809. Jefferson Davis was born on June 3 1808.
- At the age of 56, on April 15 1865, Abraham Lincoln died, and Jefferson Davis died on December 6 1889, at the age of 81.
- The rule of both of them was quite similar time, which was during the time of the American Civil War, at that time, only Abraham Lincoln ruled as the president of the United States of America and the Union, and Jefferson Davis ruled as the president of the confederate state.
- Talking about their death and how they died. Lincoln was assassinated in the middle of a play and was shot in the head, while Davis died due to Acute bronchitis while he was in New Orleans.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.