An assault rifle refers to any of the median-range, magazine-fed military rifles. They can be set on automatic or semiautomatic firing. AK 47 and SKS are two Russian assault rifles that were designed post World War 2 and are widely used all over the world.
These were created for the firing of the same median cartridge. The round is 7.62 x 39mm and it is a powerful operative man stopper. The round works outstandingly well in both AK 47 and SKS.
The two rifles have mostly nothing in common except the round and date of design. If we compare both the rifles we understand the strengths and weaknesses of each of them which helps us to know them better.
Both the rifles are semi-automatic and recoil-operated and they can work well in unfavorable conditions as they are created to just keep shooting. Basically, both are dependable in every situation.
AK47 vs SKS
The difference between AK47 and SKS is that the SKS has a wooden stock with a small gas piston, and is semi-automatic. On the other hand, AK 47 has selective fire. It has a folding metal shoulder stash. In combats, Sks has been replaced by AK 47.
Comparison Table Between AK47 and SKS
|Parameter of Comparison||AK47||SKS|
|Designed by||AK 47 has been designed by Mikhail T Kalashnikov.||SKS has been designed by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov.|
|Designed in||AK 47 was designed in the year 1947.||SKS was designed in the year 1945.|
|Reliability||More reliable.||Less reliable.|
|Number of bullets||The cartridges of AK 47 can have 30 bullets.||The cartridges of SKS can have 10 bullets.|
|Usage||AK 47 cannot be used by normal individuals. They can be used for military purposes only.||SKS can be used by the individuals also.|
What is AK47?
AK-47 is also known as Kalashnikov Model 1947. It is an assault rifle that is widely used all over the world as a shoulder weapon. It is considered as the standard infantry gun for 106 countries.
‘Avtomat Kalashnikova’ is what AK stands for and in Russian, it means “automatic Kalashnikov”. It has been designed by Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov in 1947. He was a tank commander in World War 2 in the Red army.
He made the first real mid-range infantry rifle known as StG 44. The assault rifle of the Soviet Army was AK- 47 in 1949.
When the AK-47 is set in a fully automatic setting, it can fire 600 rounds per minute.
It is considered as one of the destructive weapon ever built. It has more kill count than nuclear weapons.
AK-47 guns may be inexpensive in some places around the world. However, it can be expensive in places away from the production centers. Since it is available worldwide and is durable, AK 47 is considered as a great weapon for military purposes, terrorists, or even other illegal organizations.
What is SKS?
The SKS is also known as Samozaryadny Karabin sistemy Simonova. It was designed by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov in 1945.
It was designed interim between a typical assault rifle and a sniper rifle. It is a semi-automatic rifle having a cartridge of 10 bullets. Because of its limited bullets number of 10, it was not used much in the Soviet Military. However, it is still a dependable, versatile, and high-powered weapon. The SKS has the same 7.62×39-millimeter cartridge as the AK 47.
Main Differences Between AK47 and SKS
- AK 47 was created by Mikhail T Kalashnikov in the year 1947 whereas SKS was created by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov in the year 1945.
- Each cartridge of AK 47 can hold about 30 bullets. On the other hand in SKS the number of bullets is limited and the cartridge can hold 10 bullets only. This can be measured as three times better.
- AK 47 is mainly used for military purposes and the normal individuals are not allowed to use it. SKS can be used for military purposes as well as by normal individuals.
- AK 47 is more reliable as compared to SKS because of its great loose design.
- In combats, AK 47 has mostly replaced SKS.
- The SKS rifle has better accuracy as compared to AK 47as SKS has a longer sight radius and it is easy to target. This is so because SKS has a 20 inches long barrel whereas AK 47 has a 16 inches long barrel.
- The safety in SKS is much better as compared to AK 47 as in the SKS rifle it is located in the trigger guard. On the other hand, AK 47 has a huge piece of steel that slips up or down.
- AK 47 is easier to use and clean as compared to SKS as it can be cleaned easily by breaking up the parts.
Both the rifles, AK 47 and SKS are equally good at shooting and neither of them has any ejection, reloading, or removal issues. They are Russian in design but are made in other parts of the world as well, such as Yugoslavia, China or Romania. They can work for decades.
Now, who decides which of the two rifles is better? It is quite subjective. However, more people would prefer AK 47 as it is more versatile and customizable. It is smaller in size, has a modern look with removable magazines.
Also, for the SKS’ wood lines, designing, and simple shooting aspect, it makes it a great one. Basically, both the rifles can be trusted and dependable in any situation. They are simple to use and hard to shatter.