Allergies are the sought of immune reactions when there is an invasion of a foreign substance or particle that may or may not harm the body of the individual. Allergies may be caused by different types of food, pollens, dust, pet dander, etc.
Allergic reactions to different types of things cause different symptoms. Some of them might be – fatigue, swelling, nausea, cold, cough, and many more other.
- Allegra is an antihistamine used to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies.
- Allegra-D contains an additional decongestant to relieve nasal congestion.
- Allegra-D should only be taken as directed, as misuse can lead to serious side effects.
Allegra vs Allegra-D
Allegra and Allegra D are similar, except Allegra-D contains a decongestant called pseudoephedrine which is taken to relieve nasal congestion, or stuffy nose, associated with allergies or the common cold. Allegra contains fexofenadine, while Allegra D contains fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine.
Allegra is a medicine developed to treat some types of seasonal allergies, chronic allergies, and some year-round allergies. The medicine is also known as the antihistamine, and these tablets are approved by FDA; and some of the symptoms treated by it are – runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes.
They are extremely priced at very cheap rates as they are available over-the-counter (OTC). Allegra-D is a medicine that is also categorized as an antihistamine.
In addition to the fexofenadine hydrochloride, Allegra-D contains pseudoephedrine, which is used for curing runny noses, stuffed noses, and many other symptoms.
The medicine comes in tablet or pill forms that can be taken orally. Some side effects of the medicine are – nausea, dizziness, headache, back pain, and many more others.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Fexofenadine + Pseudoephedrine
|Dissolving Tablet, Tablets or Pills, Oral liquid
|Tablet or Pills
|60 mg tablet- Twice the time daily in one in number orally 180 mg tablet – Once a time for daily over a month orally
|12-hour tablet – Twice the time daily one in number and to be taken orally 24-hour tablet – One tablet to be taken orally for a month
|Back pain, dizziness, discomfort in the stomach, pain in hands or feet
|Headache, nausea, dizziness, agitation, palpitations, back pain, indigestion, sore throat, and many other
|Excess phenylalanine cause brain damage, driving impairment
|Seizures, High blood pressure, driving impairment, heart problems
|Used for some type of seasonal allergies, year-round allergies, and chronic hives
|Mainly for seasonal allergies
What is Allegra?
Allegra medicine belongs to the antihistamines drug class, and also, they are known as Fexofenadine. The medicine is available as generic medicine in the market and also with its brand name or label.
The common symptoms treated by the antihistamines are – itchiness, watery eyes, runny nose, congestion, etc. The medicine is quite low in price and is also approved by Food and Drugs Administration (FDA).
Different forms of medicines are available in tablets or pills, oral liquid, and dissolving tablets. The formulation of the medicine is of two types the light dose of the medicine contains fexofenadine up to 60 mg, while the heavy dose of the medicine contains 180 mg of fexofenadine.
The medicine is used to treat seasonal allergies, hay fever, and Utricularia in children and adults. Some of the common side effects of the medicine are back pain, elated pain in the hands and feet, dizziness, and indigestion.
What is Allegra-D?
Allegra-D can be referred to as antihistamines, and these are generically known to be by the name fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine. The presence of pseudoephedrine cures the patient with stuffiness in the nose, congestion, or runny nose.
The pseudoephedrine is to be precisely known as the decongestant in the formulation of the respective medicine. The medicine is available in two ways the generic one and the brand label. These are high in cost and come in the form of tablets or pills.
The 12-hour tablet of the medicine contains the formulation of 60 mg of fexofenadine and 120 mg of pseudoephedrine, whereas the 24-hour tablet contains the formulation of 180 mg of fexofenadine and 240 mg of pseudoephedrine.
These medicines are to be precise for children of 12 years or above. Some common side effects of the medicine are – headache, dizziness, back pain, agitation, nausea, palpitations, upset stomach, and many more others. The risk factors include impairment while driving, high blood pressure, various heart problems, etc.
Main Differences Between Allegra and Allegra-D
- The generic or another name of the medicine Allegra is known to be Fexofenadine, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the generic or another name of the medicine Allegra-D is known to be Fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine.
- The different forms of the tablets that are available in the market for Allegra are – Oral liquid, Dissolving tablets, Pills, or Tablets, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the different forms of the tablets that are available in the market for Allegra-D are – Pills or Tablet.
- The pricing of the medicine Allegra is very cheap and is easily available, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the pricing of the medicine Allegra-D is over the board than that of Allegra.
- The standard dosage that is prescribed by doctors is – 60 mg of the tablet is advised to be taken twice a day orally, while 180 mg of the tablet is to be taken once over the month comparatively, on the other hand, the standard dosage of the Allegra-D prescribed by the doctors are –the 12-hour tablet is to be taken twice a day orally while the 24-hour tablet is to be taken once for over a month.
- Some of the side effects of medicine Allegra are – dizziness, back pain, elated pain in hands or feet, and discomfort caused in the stomach while comparatively, on the other hand, some of the side effects of the medicine Allegra-D is – nausea, headache, indigestion, palpitations, sore throat, dizziness, agitation, and many more other.
- The risk factors for the medicine Allegra is the excess amount of phenylalanine causes brain damage or driving impairment, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the risk factor of the medicine Allegra-D is the seizures, driving impairment, heart problems, and high blood pressure problems.
- Allegra is used for types of seasonal allergies, some types of chronic allergies, and year-round allergies, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the Allegra-D medicine is used mainly for seasonal allergies.
Last Updated : 13 February, 2024
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.