Allergies are the sought of immune reactions when there is an invasion of a foreign substance or particle that may or may not harm the body of the individual. Allergies may be caused by different types of food, pollens, dust, pet dander, etc.
The allergic reactions to different types of things cause different symptoms. Some of them might are – fatigue, swelling, nausea, cold, cough, and many more other.
Allegra vs Allegra-D
The difference between Allegra and Allegra-D is that the generic name use other than that of Allegra is the Fexofenadine, whereas the generic name other than that of Allegra-D is fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine. In other words, the basic difference between the two is that Allegra does not contain decongestants like Allegra-D.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Allegra is a medicine developed to treat some types of seasonal allergies, chronic allergies, and some year-round allergies. The medicine is also known as the antihistamines, and these tablets are approved by FDA; and some of the symptoms treated by it are – runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes.
They are extremely priced at very cheap rates as they are available over-the-counter (OTC). Allegra-D is a medicine that is also being categorized as an antihistamine.
In addition to the fexofenadine hydrochloride, Allegra-D contains pseudoephedrine, which is used for curing runny nose, stuffed nose, and many other symptoms.
The medicine comes in tablet or pill forms that can be taken orally. Some side effects of the medicine are – nausea, dizziness, headache, back pain, and many more others.
|Parameters of Comparison||Allegra||Allegra-D|
|Generic Name||Fexofenadine||Fexofenadine + Pseudoephedrine|
|Different Forms||Dissolving Tablet, Tablets or Pills, Oral liquid||Tablet or Pills|
|Standard Dosage||60 mg tablet- Twice the time daily in one in number orally 180 mg tablet – Once a time for daily over a month orally||12-hour tablet – Twice the time daily one in number and to be taken orally 24-hour tablet – One tablet to be taken orally for a month|
|Side Effects||Back pain, dizziness, discomfort in the stomach, pain in hands or feet||Headache, nausea, dizziness, agitation, palpitations, back pain, indigestion, sore throat, and many other|
|Risk Factors||Excess phenylalanine cause brain damage, driving impairment||Seizures, High blood pressure, driving impairment, heart problems|
|Usage||Used for some type of seasonal allergies, year-round allergies, and chronic hives||Mainly for seasonal allergies|
What is Allegra?
Allegra medicine belongs to the antihistamines drug class, and also, they are generally known as Fexofenadine. The medicine is available as generic medicine in the market and also with its brand name or label.
The common symptoms treated by the antihistamines are – itchiness, watery eyes, runny nose, congestion, etc. The medicine is quite low in price and is also approved by Food and Drugs Administration (FDA).
The different forms of the medicines that are available in the tablets or pills, oral liquid, and dissolving tablet. The formulation of the medicine is of two types the light dose of the medicine contains fexofenadine up to 60 mg, while the heavy dose of the medicine contains 180 mg of fexofenadine.
The medicine is used to treat seasonal allergies, hay fever, Utricularia in children and adults. Some of the common side effects of the medicine are back pain, elated pain in hands and feet, dizziness, and indigestion.
What is Allegra-D?
Allegra-D can be referred to as antihistamines, and these are generically known to be by the name fexofenadine and pseudoephedrine. The presence of pseudoephedrine cure the patient with stuffiness in the nose, congestion, or runny nose.
The pseudoephedrine is to be precisely known as the decongestant in the formulation of the respective medicine. The medicine is available in two ways the generic one and with the brand label. These are usually high in cost and comes in the form of tablets or pills.
The 12-hour tablet of the medicine contains the formulation of 60 mg of fexofenadine and 120 mg of pseudoephedrine, whereas the 24-hour tablet contains the formulation of 180 mg of fexofenadine and 240 mg of pseudoephedrine.
These medicines are to be precise for children of 12 years or above. Some common side effects of the medicine are – headache, dizziness, back pain, agitation, nausea, palpitations, upset stomach, and many more others. The risk factors include impairment while driving, high blood pressure, various heart problems, etc.
Main Differences Between Allegra and Allegra-D
- The generic or another name of the medicine Allegra is known to be Fexofenadine, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the generic or another name of the medicine Allegra-D is known to be Fexofenadine and Pseudoephedrine.
- The different forms of the tablets that are available in the market for Allegra are – Oral liquid, Dissolving tablets, Pills, or Tablets, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the different forms of the tablets that are available in the market for Allegra-D are – Pills or Tablet.
- The pricing of the medicine Allegra is very cheap and is easily available, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the pricing of the medicine Allegra-D is over the board than that of Allegra.
- The standard dosage that is usually prescribed by the doctors is – 60 mg of the tablet is advised to be taken twice a day orally, while the 180 mg of the tablet is to be taken once over the month whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the standard dosage of the Allegra-D prescribed by the doctors are –the 12-hour tablet is to be taken twice a day orally while the 24-hour tablet is to be taken once for over a month.
- Some of the side effects of medicine Allegra are – dizziness, back pain, elated pain in hands or feet, and discomfort caused in the stomach while comparatively, on the other hand, some of the side effects of the medicine Allegra-D is – nausea, headache, indigestion, palpitations, sore throat, dizziness, agitation, and many more other.
- The risk factors for the medicine Allegra is the excess amount of phenylalanine causes brain damage or driving impairment, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the risk factor of the medicine Allegra-D is the seizures, driving impairment, heart problems, and high blood pressure problems.
- Allegra is used for types of seasonal allergies, some types of chronic allergies, and year-round allergies, whereas comparatively, on the other hand, the Allegra-D medicine is used mainly for seasonal allergies.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.