Roulette is quite famous among gamblers as it is a gambling game. There are mainly several compartments on the revolving wheel in which a ball is dropped.
By visiting a casino or playing an online casino, it is obvious to come across two or more versions of roulette.
But American roulette and European roulette are the two most common variants on roulette tables.
In the field of the casino, many new beginners find it hard to differentiate between both of them, but there is no reason to get confused. Many distinctions can be clear with this article.
- American Roulette has 38 pockets, including a 00 pocket, while European Roulette has 37 pockets and does not have a 00 pocket.
- In American Roulette, the house edge is 5.26%, whereas, in European Roulette, the house edge is 2.7%.
- American Roulette uses different color chips for each player, whereas in European Roulette, all players use the same color.
American Roulette vs European Roulette
American Roulette is a well-known wheel game played in a casino. Its wheel consists of 38 pockets for the ball. First 36 are black and white, two pockets are green for a single 0 and a double zero (00). European Roulette also called French Roulette contains 36 pockets, black and white in the wheel with one extra green pocket for a single zero.
American roulette is one of the two popular variations of the classic game of chance. It gained great popularity among the players in the United States.
The American roulette wheel has a total pocket of 38. 36 pockets are coloured in red and black, whereas two pockets are coloured in green, and they are mainly marked with 0 and 00.
European roulette is chosen by the majority of the players compared to other variations, whether it is based on online casinos or land-based.
The European roulette wheel has a total pocket of 37. 36 pockets are coloured in red and black, while one pocket is coloured in green and marked as 0.
|Parameters of Comparison||American Roulette||European Roulette|
|Green numbers||2 (0 and 00)||1 (0)|
|Bet type (column)||The winning probability is 31.6%||The winning probability is 32.4%|
|Bet type (street)||The winning probability is 7.9%||The winning probability is 8.1%|
What is American Roulette?
Among the table games played in casinos, American roulette is one of them which gained the greatest popularity throughout the United States.
American roulette is also gaining popularity in casinos in the United Kingdom and Asia, but European players avoid it.
This wheel comprises 38 pockets that are identically arranged. Consequently, there is an equal probability of the ball settling in any division.
The 38 pockets include 1 to 36 numbers which are alternatively coloured black and red, whereas both the double zero and single zero are in green.
Every player pursues the main objective of predicting the numbered pocket the roulette ball could settle into. As a result, the player makes a particular number of bets.
Then in the opposite direction roulette ball is spun, and the roulette wheel turns in one direction by the dealer. At last, the player gets paid whose chosen number gets the ball.
The roulette table has a betting layout with two sections comprising individual numbers and group bets. Straight-up bets, Street bets, split bets, five bets, corner bets, and line bets are inside bets.
The outside bets are dozen bet, column bet, bet on odd/even, bet on a colour, and bet on low/high.
What is European Roulette?
European roulette has huge popularity compared to other variations of roulette due to a greater chance to earn. In this roulette, there is merely 2.63% of the house advantage.
The roulette wheel is mainly divided into 37, in which 1 to 36 numbers are coloured alternatively in black and red. It has only a single zero in green colour.
While playing online-based European roulette, the betting process is quite easy. In this, the player has to place chips on the wanting bet and then press the spin button.
But when the betting round is over, two options come across. The first is the “rebet button”, or place another bet, while the second is to abandon the game or clear the “bets button”.
The advantage of the “en prison” rule is taken when an even-money outside bet is placed, like even/odd, red/black, high/low, and 0 is the winning number.
Now, there are two probabilities whether the entire bet is imprisoned or 50% is received by a player of the bet.
In case in next wheel spin winner is imprisoned bet, then it will be released, also without any earning player will recover it.
If the next wheel ball lands on the zero, now it is a matter of debate. It depends on the starting of the roulette game location.
Main Differences Between American Roulette and European Roulette
- Call bets or announcement bets are pre-arranged bets end covers only the roulette wheel’s specific sections. These bets are not available in American roulette but can be seen in European roulette.
- Some casinos offer an optional rule, namely the en-prison Rule. This rule is never applied to American roulette, whereas the en prison rule is only applied to European roulette.
- The five-number bet is a bet which consists of numbers like 1, 2, 3, 0, and 00. So, it is clear by the statement itself that it is placed in American roulette but not on the European table.
- When it comes to winning bets, American roulette has 47.37%, whereas in European roulette has 48.65%. And this is applied to every bet, and winning chances in each instance are slightly diminished.
- In terms of pros, American roulette is easy if gamblers understand the odds of winning, which is changed by double zero. On the other hand, European roulette rules make an extra twist in gameplay, with the gambler having extra agency on outcomes.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.