Several medical drugs are manufactured and supplied by medical agencies and firms to hospitals and clinics. These drugs are quite famous across the world.
The two most used and consumed medical drugs are Cinnarizine and Flunarizine. These two drugs are quite different from each other and have different characteristics and qualities.
- Cinnarizine and flunarizine are calcium channel blockers that treat various conditions, such as vertigo, motion sickness, and migraine prevention.
- Flunarizine has a longer half-life than cinnarizine, resulting in a more prolonged therapeutic effect.
- Although both medications have similar side effects, flunarizine may cause more sedation and weight gain than cinnarizine.
Cinnarizine vs Flunarizine
The difference between cinnarizine and flunarizine is that the former is mainly an antihistamine drug. On the other hand, the latter is a calcium antagonist drug. They both are pharmaceutically tested and approved drugs. They both have different elimination half-life, protein binding capacity, and metabolic functioning. Both the drugs are widely used in various hospitals.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Cinnarizine acts as an antihistamine drug that fights against several diseases. It enhances and improves its user’s immunity and fights its user’s sickness or illness.
This drug is a sedative and often causes its user to feel sleepy or drowsy. Cinnarizine is suitable for all kinds of patients except for the ones that have hereditary issues. It cures issues related to balance and movement.
Flunarizine is an anti-calcium drug that blocks the entry of calcium. It is also referred to as the calcium antagonist.
Head migraines are quite common in today’s world and flunarizine is the ideal drug to cure head migraines when no other method is helpful. It also reduces the frequency of getting a migraine continuously.
|Parameters Of Comparison||Cinnarizine||Flunarizine|
|Significance||Cinnarizine is an antihistamine drug that fights illness.||Flunarizine is a calcium blocker that fights head migraines|
|Elimination Half-Life||The elimination half-life of this drug ranges between 3 hours to 4 hours.||The elimination half-life of this drug ranges between 5 hours to 15 hours.|
|Molar Mass||The molar mass of cinnarizine is 368.514 grams per mole.||The molar mass of Flunarizine is 404.495 grams per mole.|
|Also called||It is also called Stugeron or Arlevert.||1-4-cinnamyl-piperazine is another name for Flunarizine.|
|Available As||It is majorly available in the form of tablets.||Capsules are the major forms in which these drugs are available.|
What is Cinnarizine?
Cinnarizine is a medicinal drug that is also referred to as a calcium blocker (as it prevents the entry of calcium). It is prescribed for several sicknesses and illnesses.
It cures or treats motion sickness, nausea, and vomiting. This drug also fixes vertigo, chemotherapy, and Meniere’s disease.
Cinnarizine was initially synthesized by Janssen Pharmaceutica in the year 1955. This drug was synthesized in the form of R1575. The antihistamine drug is not available in Canada or United States. It is widely used in Britain by the British royal navy.
Cinnarizine has several benefits and advantages. A few of these advantages are listed below:
- It helps cure inner ear problems and ear balance issues.
- It fixes dizziness and sickness (nausea).
- It fixes travel and motion sickness.
- This drug cures problems with movement and balance.
- This antihistamine drug cures vertigo and Meniere’s disease.
Cinnarizine is also referred to as Stugeron or Arlevert. It has a high amount of lactose and can prove to be dangerous to lactose-intolerant patients. Overdose of Cinnarizine can lead to:
Cinnarizine is a sleepy and drowsy drug. It makes its user/ patient feel very sleepy and drowsy. This antihistamine drug is also referred to as sedating antihistamine.
What is Flunarizine?
Flunarizine is a calcium entry blocking agent that has an H1 histamine blocking activity. It has a molar mass of 404.495 grams per mole. The elimination half-life of this drug ranges between 5 hours to 15 hours. It is referred to as 1-4-cinnamyl-piperazine.
Flunarizine is generally used in the treatment of vertigo, headache migraines, vascular disease, etc. It is also used as an adjuvant in the treatment of epilepsy. This drug has ninety-nine percent of protein binding capacity.
Flunarizine has certain disadvantages like:
- It could lead to drowsiness and a feeling of dizziness.
- This drug could cause tiredness and fatigue.
- It may cause low mood and weight gain.
Flunarizine should be consumed in specific quantities. Overdose of this drug should be highly avoided. Patients with kidney damage, liver damage, Parkinson’s disease, and depression should consult their doctor before consuming Flunarizine.
Flunarizine is a sedating calcium-blocking drug. It is also referred to as a vestibular sedative drug. This drug also has an antidepressant activity and role.
Flunarizine has several benefits and advantages. A few of these advantages are:
- It prevents and fixes migraines.
- The drug cures and treats dizziness and nausea.
- It treats and cures vertigo.
- It works as an efficient antidepressant drug.
Main Differences Between Cinnarizine and Flunarizine
- Cinnarizine is available in the form of tablets while on the other hand, flunarizine is available in the form of oral capsules.
- Cinnarizine has a molar mass of 368.514 grams per mole while on the other hand, flunarizine has a molar mass of 404.495 grams per mole.
- Cinnarizine’s elimination half-life ranges between 3 hours to 4 hours while on the other hand, flunarizine’s elimination half-life ranges between 5 hours to 15 hours.
- Cinnarizine fixes a variety of sicknesses while on the other hand, flunarizine fixed a variety of migraines.
- Stugeron is another name of Cinnarizine while on the other hand, 1-4-cinnamyl-piperazine is the other name of Flunarizine.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.