Left Handed vs Right Handed: Difference and Comparison

Several types of research, studies, and arguments suggest different intellectual and creative levels in left-handed and right-handed people. While people used to believe that left-handed people are more intellectual, with due time, this theory has been proverb wrong. Though the right and left hemispheres of the brain respond differently for both handedness, there is no study to prove one is intellectually superior to the other.

Key Takeaways

  1. Left-handed individuals use their left hand for primary tasks, while right-handed individuals rely on their right hand.
  2. Right-handed people comprise approximately 90% of the population, with left-handed individuals accounting for the remaining 10%.
  3. Society and products cater to right-handed individuals, making certain activities more challenging for left-handed people.

Left Handed vs Right Handed

The difference between left-handed and right-handed people is that left-handed people use their left hand to do most the tasks like lifting, writing, eating, etc. Right-handed people use their right hand as the dominant hand most of the time. For left-hand people, some daily activities might get difficult that are made convenient for right-handed people, like zipping, swiping cards, etc. 

Left Handed vs Right Handed
/10

Education Quiz

Test your knowledge about topics related to education

1 / 10

What is the capital of the country France?

2 / 10

Which of the following is a type of visual art?

3 / 10

Who invented the printing press?

4 / 10

In a class, there are children who usually get out of the social circle. How do you describe these children?

5 / 10

What is the skill of speaking in front of an audience called?

6 / 10

Who painted the famous artwork “The Starry Night”?

7 / 10

What is the study of light and color called?

8 / 10

What is the most common type of post-secondary education in the United States?

9 / 10

Which of the following books is written by William Golding?

10 / 10

Which of the following is NOT a type of writing?

Your score is

0%

Left-handed people comprise only 10% of the total world’s population.  Left-handed people tend to show less brain lateralization, meaning that both sides of their brains show fewer differences. Since the population of left-handed people is very, very little, they were accused of being witches during middle age. 

Right-handed people are dominant in the population, as they comprise 90% of the world’s population. Since right-handed are present in the majority, some certain activities or devices are designed according to them. For example, the mouse is always on the right-hand side in a computer lab. 

Comparison Table

Parameters of ComparisonLeft HandedRight Handed
MeaningIn left-handed people, their left hand is more dominant and they find it difficult to perform tasks with their right hand. In right-handed people, their right hand is more dominant and they find it difficult to perform tasks with their left hand. 
PopulationAbout 10% population of the world are left-handed.Right-handed people comprise 90% of our world’s population. 
Health RisksLeft-handed people are more prone to diseases like dyslexia and ADHD. Right-handed people are not prone to any disease due to their handedness. 
DifficultiesSome everyday tasks like putting on a zipper, swiping credit cards, using computer mouses become difficult for left-handed people. Right-handed people do not face any difficulty using or operating any devices.  
Brain LateralizationLeft-handed people show less brain lateralization. Right-handed people show more brain lateralization.
UltrasoundSome experts say that ultrasound has effects on causing left-handedness.  Unborn right-handed babies are not affected by ultrasound. 
GeneticsLeft-handed parents are more likely to have left-handed children. Right-handed parents don’t have much influence on the handedness of their children. 

What is Left-Handed?

 The left-handed people suffered a lot during the Middle Ages as they were punished for thinking they were evil and practising witchcraft. Even during the 20th century, parents and teachers forced kids to switch from left to right hand as they thought it was some disease or disorder. Today, 10% of the world’s population is left-handed, and superstitions have vanished with time. 

The difference between left-handed and right-handed people has caused much research and studies, and a new conclusion arrives every time. Many people believe that left-handed people are more intellectual or that their creative side is more dominant, but no experiment has proven it so far. Since many US presidents were left-handed, it got people thinking that they had better leadership qualities. 

Several studies have concluded that left-handed people are more prone to diseases like dyslexia and ADHD. Many studies are still going on to understand the genetics behind left-handed people. There are more than one genetic factors that are responsible for causing left-handedness. But, even if a child is left-handed during birth, their upbringing or training to make them right-handed can change the dominant hand. 

left handed

What is Right-Handed?

In right-handed people, the left side of the brain dominates as this side is responsible for controlling the right leg, hand, eye, etc. Many scientists perform studies to understand how ancestors became primarily right-handed even before humans arrived. Evidence from 1.5 million years ago shows that Homohabilis and Home erectus showed right-handedness. 

One of the most common theories for right-handedness is brain lateralization which was further caused by vocalization. Cerebral asymmetry for speech is a process of evolution. When people started to use sounds and words to communicate, their hands were relieved from making gestures and thus more available for work like hunting and tool making. A study by McManus (1999, 2002) suggests that left-handedness is a result of mutation.

Today, 90% of the world’s population is right-handed. Evolution has caused our brain to differentiate activities and allot a specific side of the brain for that. But, studies show that the right-handed preference for manual actions are developed in fetus within 15 weeks as they start sucking their right thumb. 

right handed

Main Differences Between Left Handed and Right Handed

  1. In left-handed people, their left hand is more dominant, and in right-handed people, their right hand is dominant.
  2. About 10% of the world’s population is left-handed, whereas the rest, 90%, are right-handed. 
  3. Left-handed people are more prone to diseases like dyslexia and ADHD, whereas handedness doesn’t have that influence on right-handed people. 
  4. Some everyday tasks like putting on a zipper, swiping credit cards, and using a computer mouse become difficult for left-handed people but not for right-handed people.
  5. Left-handed people show less brain lateralization, whereas right-handed people show more brain lateralization.
  6. Some experts say that ultrasound has effects on causing left-handedness, but it doesn’t have any effect on causing right-handedness. 
  7. Left-handed parents are more likely to have left-handed children, whereas right-handed parents don’t have much influence on the handedness of their children.
Difference Between Left Handed and Right HandedLe
References
  1. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1978-00208-001
  2. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/198/4317/631.abstract

Last Updated : 13 July, 2023

dot 1
One request?

I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!