CSS is a programming language that Introduces us to several types of positioning (like relative positioning and absolute positioning), heights, and widths.
Three types of widths in CSS are width, Max width, and min-width. But the two main types of widths are max-width and min-width. The two terms are very different from each other.
- Max-width is a CSS property that sets the maximum width of an element, preventing it from growing beyond a specified value. In contrast, min-width sets the minimum width of an element, ensuring it does not shrink below a specified value.
- The max-width property is useful for creating responsive designs that adapt to different screen sizes, as it allows elements to grow only up to a certain point. At the same time, min-width helps maintain the readability and usability of an element by preventing it from becoming too small.
- Both max-width and min-width properties are crucial in responsive web design, providing flexibility and adaptability to varying screen sizes, resolutions, and viewing conditions.
Max Width vs Min Width
Max width is the maximum width of any element in the CSS programming language. The first approach of the desktop is max width. When a max width point is reached, the STOP style is applied. Min width is the minimum width of any element. The first approach of mobile is min-width. Min width is suitable for small screens.
Max width is one of the common terms used in CSS (programming). It indicates an image or page’s maximum width when viewed on large screens.
It is set for big digital screens like desktops and computers. The average maximum width of an element, page, or image can go up to 992 PX.
Min width is an important programming tool that makes viewing several pages or images on a small screen easy. It has an average value of approximately 767 PX.
In this case, the styles are STARTED at the min-width and go on. This approach type is referred to as the mobile 1st approach.
|Parameters Of Comparison||Max Width||Min Width|
|Significance||Max width indicates the maximum width of a page, element, or image.||Min width indicates the minimum width of an element, image, or page.|
|Approach Type||Max width is a desktop 1st approach.||Min width is a mobile 1st approach.|
|Average Widths||992 PX is the average max-width.||The average min-width is equal to 767 PX.|
|Breakpoints Setting||In this case, a breakpoint is set for large screens ( like desktops, laptops, etc.).||Breakpoints are set for small screens (like mobile) in the case of min-width.|
|Styles||In the case of max-width, styles STOP being applied after reaching this point.||Styles START being applied at this point and foes on forever if a maximum width is not set.|
What is Max Width?
Max width shows the maximum width attained by a block-level element or image when it’s rendered on a screen by a browser.
Max width is set for large screens like laptops and desktops. The approach style of maximum width is the desktop 1st approach.
The maximum width has an average min value of 992 PX. The breakpoint value for min widths is set for big screens like computers.
After the max-width is reached, styles STOP getting applied on documents and elemental images.
Max width is a property that will automatically change the width of an element if it exceeds the value of maximum width.
This action prevents a specific element’s width from being more than the max width.
But if the content is smaller than the value of maximum height, then max-width does not affect that element.
The term “max-width” can be explained using a set of information like:
- Computed Value – None of the absolute length or the percentage as specified
- Initial Value – There is no initial value for max-width
- Percentage – It refers to the maximum width value of a block or image
- Animation Type – It is either in percentage value or in length
- Inherited – No
- Applies to – It is applied to all elements
What is Min Width?
Min width indicates the minimum width attained by a block-level element or image when a browser shows it on a small screen.
Min width is set for small and little screens like phones and mobiles. The mobile 1st approach is the approach style of minimum width.
Min width has a breakpoint value set for small digital screens like phones. 767 PX is the average minimum width value expressed in CSS.
It introduces us to the unique property of setting a minimum width for each content. The styles are applied in a START method.
Min width prevents the width of a property from becoming lower than the min-width set.
If the width of the content is lower than the min-width, min-width is applied, and it increases the width of the property till it reaches the set min-width.
If the width of the content is larger than the min-width, the min-width property is not applied and has no effect.
Several details help explain to us the definition of minimum width. These details are given below:
- Percentage – It tells us the minimum width of a block in percentage value.
- Length – It tells us the minimum width of a block in centimetres or PX. Its default value is zero.
- Inherit – Inherits this property from its initial/ parent block.
Main Differences Between Max Width and Min Width
- In the case of max-width, styles are assigned a STOP title, while on the other hand, styles are given a START title in the case of min-width.
- In CSS, max-width represents the maximum width of a picture or page, while on the other hand, min-width indicates the minimum width of an elemental page and image.
- 992 PX is the average maximum width in CSS, while on the other hand, 767 PX is the average minimum width in CSS.
- The desktop 1st approach is related to max-width, while on the other hand, the mobile 1st approach is related to min-width.
- Max width has its breakpoint set for large screens, while on the other hand, the breakpoint of min-width is set for small screens.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.