In order to perform research and experiments, it is important to make a list and a proper method for the same for proper functioning and process. Otherwise, it can lead to big problems and wrong results. Now there are two terms among the people performing research or experiment confuse a lot, also in general, not many are aware of their differences. They are method and methodology.
Method vs Methodology
The difference between Method and Methodology is that methodology is a broader concept, and method is a part of it. While doing research, several methods are selected for it. These all methods are recorded or part of the methodology. Not only this, the methodology includes the strategies and planning of the research. The method mainly includes techniques of the research and solution of the problems, whereas methodology includes problems of these methods as well.
Methods provide the solution to the research’s problems. It is also used for the selection of a particular technique for performing the experiment. It is important to their thesis as well. They have to write a whole section dedicated to the method they have selected or think is perfect for it. In the absence of a method, it will become quite impossible to perform research successfully.
The methodology includes all the methods and other detailed information about the research. It records the qualitative as well as quantitative aspects of the research. It is useful in providing an insight into the research. It is applied in the initial stage, where the strategies are made for the research.
Comparison Table Between Method and Methodology
|Parameters of Comparison||Method||Methodology|
|Objective||Find solution||Determine the appropriateness of a method.|
|Function||Used to select a technique||Analysis of all methods.|
|Stages||Applied during the later stage||Applied during the initial stage|
|Comprises of||Several techniques||Systematic strategies|
|Encompasses||Carrying out experiments||Techniques used for these experiments.|
What is Method?
A method is a helpful aspect of research. It all following advantages:
- It is helpful in providing insight into the research.
- It is helpful in case any drawback is noticed.
- It provides validity.
- It provides all the techniques and the solution to the problems and difficulties that can arise in research.
Research has to write sections of each and every method. Following are important aspects that should be considered while writing method sections:
- The places or sources from which the author has acquired the methods. All past experiments and results should also be recorded.
- Along with the sources, the participants who have used the method previously with all their observations also have to be recorded.
- It should include and exclude the criteria of subjects.
- Description of the division of the selected groups has to be included as well.
- It should also include the study design.
- It should also include statistical data.
Lack of proper method leads to improper technique and further incomplete or fail research.
What is Methodology?
A researcher has to write a methodology section as well, and important detail that has to be taken care is:
- The reasons for methodology used throughout the process of research.
- Applicability, validity, and credibility of all methods that are chosen for the research should be written down with all the details.
- It should clearly explain the strategies and plans.
- It should also justify the reason why the particular technique and method is included or chose.
There are types of methodology:
- Qualitative Research Methodology: this is a type of methodology; the observation has to be done by talking to the people who can tell their experiences and suggestions. This is helpful in evaluating the behavior and opinions along with their attitude of a given research. There is some limitation to this type as well that includes misinterpretation and lengthy process, it can be affected by different opinions, etc.
- Quantitative Research Methodology: this includes the actual facts that can be obtained by the records and data, and they include experiments, calculations, surveys, etc. it is more reliable, as it includes statistical data and controls the design of data. The limitation of this type includes, it remains the same for everyone and can lack accuracy, and can be misinterpreted as well.
Main Differences Between Method and Methodology
- They differ in terms of objectives despite being related. The objective of a method is to find a proper technique or solution to the problem in research, whereas the objective of a methodology is to make sure the selected method is appropriate to find the solution.
- Due to different objects, they also differ in their main functions. Methods perform the function as a tool to select a particular research technique, while the main function of methodology is to analyze all the procedures of the investigation along with the methods.
- Both of them are applied during the research indeed, but they are applied in different stages of the research. The method is applied in a later stage for the final selection of a technique, whereas methodology is applied during the initial stage of the research.
- They also differ in terms of compromise, method as mentioned above, comprises different techniques that can be used for the research, whereas methodology is compromised of systematic strategies required for doing the research and finding the solution of the problem.
- Methods are encompassed in conducting surveys, and different techniques, tests, etc., that are done in research, whereas methodology encompasses techniques or, in general, all the methods that are used for conducting these techniques and surveys, tests, etc.
Now there should not be any problem or confusion between method and methodology. They are important while performing research as they give us an idea of the process and are sometimes also helpful in making an accurate result. And for methodology, it helps it choosing the correct method for particular research and experiment. It also gives a description of which scientific tool is necessary for the experiment. In case of chaos or mistake, both of them help in understanding the reason behind it and propose corrective measures for the same.
Other than these, proper techniques are also an important factor in research that is also explained by them.