There are some minor problems that we face on a daily basis, and due to their fewer effects on our bodies, most people ignore them. It can be helpful for a short period, but for a long period, it is necessary to treat them so that they won’t turn into something major in the future. Among these problems are constipation and bloating. They can happen to any person of any age group, most people take them very lightly, but they should be treated well with the medicines.
Are some medicines or remedies for constipation. They are very helpful in providing relief. Due to the same purpose of them, they are considered as same, which is not true; they are different in more than one way.
Miralax vs Metamucil
The main difference between Miralax and Metamucil is that both of them treat constipation with different processes, Miralax with the help of its active ingredient polyethylene glycol 3350 treats constipation by helping in retaining the water, whereas Metamucil with the active ingredient psyllium treats constipation by increasing the bulk of the colon contents. Both of them also differ in terms of their side effects and other advantages. Metamucil is considered to be more beneficial as it can also lead to fulfilling the fiber deficiency in the body.
Miralax is an osmotic laxative used for curing constipation in the short term. It has Polyethylene glycol 3350, which helps in providing easier bowel movement and relief from constipation. In case of no relief for more than 3 days of consuming it, immediate medical help should be taken. And consumption should be taken in a prescribed manner only.
Metamucil, like Miralax, is a medicine helpful for curing constipation; it is a bulk-forming laxative. It can be consumed by people of all age groups. The capsule can be eaten directly, while powder should be mixed properly with water to make it wet. Afterward, also, the proper amount of water should be consumed.
Comparison Table Between Miralax and Metamucil
|Parameters of Comparison||Miralax||Metamucil|
|Active Ingredients||Polyethylene glycol 3350||Psyllium husk|
|Impact on Colon||Help in retain water||Increases the bulk|
|Type of laxative||Osmotic laxative||Bulk-forming|
|Disadvantage||Dehydration and diseases.||Choking|
|Advantage||Best for Prepping bowl||Lower cholesterol level, etc.|
What is Miralax?
It is used for short-term treatment. It can start doing its work within 3 days of consumption. It can use by everyone, adults, teenagers, children, etc. the dosage depends on factors such as:
- The purpose for which the medicine is used.
- The age of the person consuming the medicine.
And still, there is some confusion in terms of dosage doctors should be consulted.
It can lead to some side effects, most common among these are:
- Loose stools
- Stomach ache
They can be treated at home and do not need immediate medical attention unless they remain for more than 1 or 2 days.
Except above, there are some serious side effects, that include dehydration, we all are aware of the consequences a body has to face in case of dehydration a person may feel fatigued all the time along with the dry mouth, etc., and some allergic reactions that include, rash, itchy skin, runny nose, trouble breathing, swollen lips, tongue, or throat, etc. in children it can be more serious, therefore, it is always recommended to read the list of the ingredient before consuming any medication.
What is Metamucil?
It is used for treating bowel movements. When consumed with a proper diet, it also results in lowering the cholesterol level. It can be allergic to some people. Therefore, they should always consume it after getting a prescription and take it according to the instruction by the doctor. You should also share details of any problem you are currently facing, such as:
- Stomach or vomiting.
- You feeling treble while swallowing.
- A change in bowling habits says in 2 weeks.
It also contains sugar. Therefore, sometimes not recommended for diabetic patients. Also, it can result in choking if a lack of water is in the body. Therefore a proper amount of water should be consumed to make the body perfectly hydrated. If you are taking the powder, it has to be mixed with some liquid before. It should never be consumed directly. It produced the bowel movement in 12 hours but sometimes can also take a maximum of 72 hours. It should be store at room temperature. It should be over consumed as it can lead worsen the situation, such as causing stomach ache, bloating, etc.
In case of worsening symptoms or not relief, immediate medical help should be taken.
Main Differences Between Miralax and Metamucil
- Both of them medicines forms laxative in the body, which is helpful in treating constipation but in terms of how they form laxative and treat constipation, both of them differ. Miralax is an osmotic laxative that treats constipation with the help of the osmosis process, while Metamucil is a bulk-forming laxative that leads to absorption of liquid in the intestine and treats the constipation problem.
- With the above difference, it is also concluded that both of them are also different in terms of their active ingredients. Psyllium husk that is fiber, is the active ingredient of Metamucil, making it more beneficial other than relief from constipation, whereas Polyethylene glycol 3350 (synthetic substance) is the active ingredient of Miralax.
- Miralax makes bowel movements easier by retaining water in the colon, whereas Metamucil results in making the bowels larger by swelling and absorbing the water or, in short increase the bulk of the colon contents.
- Both of them have other advantages as well in our body. Metamucil is helpful in controlling blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in the body as it is high in fiber content, whereas Miralax is helpful in the preparation of the bowel prior to the colonoscopy.
- The disadvantage of consuming Miralax is that it can cause diseases like diarrhea, dehydration of the body, and loss of electrolytes, whereas Metamucil can cause choking if not consumed with enough water and can be harmful to a person with intestinal obstruction.
Therefore, with the help of the above article and all the information now, there won’t be any confusion between both of them. Constipation is very normal and common that happens to every second person. It can be due to unhealthy eating, lack of physical activities, lack of water consumption, eating more dairy products, taking extra stress, and many other factors. This can be treated by curing all of these reasons at home or by taking home remedies, but if still, a person is facing this problem, the above medicines can be taken. And it should only be consumed after advised by the doctor. And in case of urgent medical help should be taken immediately.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
Table of Contents