There are some minor problems that we face on a daily basis, and due to their fewer effects on our bodies, most people ignore them.
They are very helpful in providing relief. Due to the same purpose of them, they are considered as same, which is not true; they are different in more than one way.
- Miralax is a laxative that draws water into the colon, while Metamucil is a fiber supplement that promotes regularity by adding bulk to the stool.
- Miralax is tasteless and odorless, while Metamucil comes in various flavors.
- Miralax is more suitable for occasional constipation, while Metamucil is ideal for regularity and overall digestive health.
Miralax vs Metamucil
Miralax is the brand name of a medication called polyethylene glycol 3350. It is a type of osmotic laxative that works by drawing water into the bowel to soften stool and increase bowel movement. Metamucil is a brand name of a fiber supplement that contains psyllium husk. It works by increasing the bulk of stool, making it easier to pass. It is available in powder, capsules, and ready-to-drink beverages.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
Miralax is an osmotic laxative used for curing constipation in the short term. It has Polyethylene glycol 3350, which helps in providing easier bowel movement and relief from constipation.
Metamucil, like Miralax, is a medicine helpful for curing constipation; it is a bulk-forming laxative. It can be consumed by people of all age groups.
|Parameters of Comparison||Miralax||Metamucil|
|Active Ingredients||Polyethylene glycol 3350||Psyllium husk|
|Impact on Colon||Help in retain water||Increases the bulk|
|Type of laxative||Osmotic laxative||Bulk-forming|
|Disadvantage||Dehydration and diseases.||Choking|
|Advantage||Best for Prepping bowl||Lower cholesterol level, etc.|
What is Miralax?
It can start doing its work within 3 days of consumption. It can use by everyone, adults, teenagers, children, etc. the dosage depends on factors such as:
- The purpose for which the medicine is used.
- The age of the person consuming the medicine.
And still, there is some confusion in terms of dosage doctors should be consulted.
It can lead to some side effects, most common among these are:
- Loose stools
- Stomach ache
They can be treated at home and do not need immediate medical attention unless they remain for more than 1 or 2 days.
Except above, there are some serious side effects, that include dehydration, we all are aware of the consequences a body has to face in case of dehydration a person may feel fatigued all the time along with the dry mouth, etc., .
What is Metamucil?
It is used for treating bowel movements. It can be allergic to some people. You should also share details of any problem you are currently facing, such as:
- Stomach or vomiting.
- You feeling treble while swallowing.
- A change in bowling habits says in 2 weeks.
It also contains sugar. Therefore, sometimes not recommended for diabetic patients. Also, it can result in choking if a lack of water is in the body.
In case of worsening symptoms or not relief, immediate medical help should be taken.
Main Differences Between Miralax and Metamucil
- Metamucil is helpful in controlling blood sugar levels and cholesterol levels in the body as it is high in fiber content, whereas Miralax is helpful in the preparation of the bowel prior to the colonoscopy.
- The disadvantage of consuming Miralax is that it can cause diseases like diarrhea, dehydration of the body, and loss of electrolytes, whereas Metamucil can cause choking if not consumed with enough water and can be harmful to a person with intestinal obstruction.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.