Sometimes our body is suffering from such problems that can require inserting tubes or thinner pipes in the body. These are called a catheter.
- Midline is a catheter inserted through a vein in the arm and ends at the mid-chest, while the PICC line is a catheter inserted through a vein in the arm and ends at the superior vena cava.
- Midline is shorter and less invasive than the PICC line.
- Midline is suitable for short-term intravenous therapies, while the PICC line is ideal for long-term intravenous therapies.
Midline vs PICC Line
A midline is a type of catheter that is inserted into a vein in the upper arm and extends to the mid-point between the shoulder and elbow. It is a relatively short catheter, ranging from 8 to 20 cm in length. A peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line) is a long, thin, flexible tube that is inserted into a vein in the arm and passed through to the larger veins near the heart.
Want to save this article for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own articles box!
A midline catheter is used for several functions, transporting nutrients being the most common. It is about 8 to 20 cm only, which is relatively shorter as compared to other catheters.
PICC or peripherally inserted central catheter in veins that directly lead to the heart. It can be used for several purposes, and if a person needs medical help of a longer duration is said to be an ideal choice.
|Parameters of Comparison||Midline||PICC Line|
|Placed in||Upper arm||Vein in arm|
|Use||For passing fluids that do not irritate veins||Providing access to veins near the heart|
|Best for||Short term treatment||Long term treatment|
|Stays for||2 weeks||4-6 weeks|
What is Midline?
Insertion of this should be done by an expert as lack of knowledge can cause problems.Following are important types of equipment required for the process:
- 8 or 12cm Arrow “red” line
- Suture-less securement device, for example, Grip lock
- Sterile insertion pack
- Ultrasound machine
Position and attach monitoring
- The chosen arm should be placed properly.
- Ultrasound sound is made to have a good view of it.
- In case of sedation, monitoring should be attached.
It can remain for a short period. While inserting process, it is normal to suffer from little irritation and pain.
If proper care is not taken, it can lead to a severe problem which includes infections. Therefore proper medical help should be taken.
What is PICC Line?
A doctor or expert inserts the PICC line into the arms, veins until it reaches the superior vena cava. It allows injecting fluids and blood draw for a long period and can be more beneficial due to the following reasons:
- Fewer Needles: it is used for the long term and stays for a good time. Therefore there should be fewer needles required for injecting anything in the body or in general drawing the blood.
- Long-short term treatment: it can be used in case of chemotherapy and to administer blood products, immunoglobulins, Antibiotics, nutrients, etc.
Along with all the above advantages or benefits, there can be some side effects too, such as:
- Abnormal heart rhythm
- Blood clots
- Reaction to dyes
- Puncture of other veins or arteries
In case if the person feels some change in PICC or if they feel it has moved out of its inserted place, he should immediately seek the help of the expert who has inserted the PICC as this can lead to some serious problems including bleeding, leaking, pain in the chest, etc.
Main Differences Between Midline and PICC Line
- Both of them are used for different periods if the treatment is required for a shorter duration.
- Lastly, they also differ in the time for they can stay, Midline being used for a shorter period can only be stayed for a maximum of 2 weeks after that it should be removed, and peripherally inserted central catheter can only be kept for a maximum of 6 weeks and later on should be removed properly.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.