Modern Art and Contemporary art differ from each other on the basis of the time period in which that art was created.
Modern Art vs Contemporary Art
The difference between modern art and contemporary art is that modern art is the art done during 1860 and continues to 1970. Thus modern art has come before contemporary art. On the other hand, contemporary art is the art done in the present day.
The term modern art is defined as artistic work done in a period roughly from 1860 to 1970. It denotes the philosophies and style of the artist produced during that era. This term is usually associated with art in which the style or tradition of the past period has been putten aside for a spirit of experiments. The term modern movement also includes symbolism, cubism, futurism, and Op art.
The term contemporary art is an art which is used for the present day. In contemporary art, mainly, the artists are alive and still doing their work. It is an art which is usually about the concern and idea than the look of the work. In contemporary art, artists look for a different way of experiment with their ideas and materials.
Comparison Between Modern Art and Contemporary Art
|Parameter of Comparison||Modern art||Contemporary art|
|Definition||The term modern art is referred to as an artist’s artistic work done from 1860 to 1970.||Contemporary art is an art which is used in the present day. It is usually more concerned about the idea than the look of the work.|
|Period||Modern art mainly began in the 19th century and ended mainly in 1960 or 1970.||Contemporary art has begun from 1960 or 1970 from the present day.|
|Styles||Modern art refers to the art style in the mid-twenty century.||Contemporary art refers to the art style, which is mainly popular in the present day.|
|Created||The credit for revolutionary art goes to people like Van Gogh.||Contemporary art is created by a person who is still now living.|
|Impact||Modern art emphasizes the subject rather than focus on realism.||Contemporary art has some social impact like a political, social, and cultural reformation.|
What is Modern Art?
Moderns sometimes refer to people for describing the art from the present time, but present time art form is referred to as contemporary art. Modern art is referred to as the period that starts in 1880 and lasts till 1970. Some artists like Manet and Van Gogh were credited with revolutionizing the art. Modern art emphasizes a subjective representation of the subject rather than realism, which was prevalent before 1880.
This art has its unique style, which reflects the inner and the outer world. It focuses mainly on a subject rather than a portrayal of life as a view in a church or influences society. In this art, the tradition of the past has been thrown aside by a spirit of experiments. Artists have experienced a new way of seeing with a fresh idea about the function of art and the nature of the material. Modern art has been produced from 1860 to 1970, which denotes the philosophies and art from that era.
What is Contemporary Art?
This art is created by the artist who is still now living. Contemporary art has a great influence in the world by the political, social, and cultural reformation in the late 1990s. It is to believe that unlike modern art, contemporary art does not have a rigid form. Every topic has great significance like global warming, human rights, environmental destruction, and globalization that is excellently portrayed in contemporary art.
Unlike modern art, this art has a great social impact. These contemporary artists have the significance of liberty and freedom, which they experiment with all styles. The modern artist tends to find the pure idea of art and the contemporary artists are considered to be liberal about the purity they show in their art and their attitude. One of the main characteristics of contemporary art is that it looks more like exposing and tackling an issue that will occur in the future. This is considered one of the main differences between modern art and contemporary art.
Main Differences Between Modern Art and Contemporary Art
- Modern art mainly began in the 19th century and ended mainly in 1960 or 1970. On the other hand, Contemporary art has been begun from 1960 or 1970 from the present day.
- The term modern art is referred to as an artist’s artistic work done from 1860 to 1970. On the other hand, Contemporary art is an art that is used in the present day. This artist usually concerns the idea more than the look of the work.
- Modern art emphasizes the subject rather than focus on realism. On the other hand, Contemporary art has some social impact like a political, social, and cultural reformation.
- Modern art refers to the art style in the mid-twenty century. On the other hand, Contemporary art refers to the art style, which is mainly popular in the present day.
- Artists like Van Gogh and Manet are credited for revolutionary art. On the other hand, Contemporary art is created by a person who is still now living.
- Modern is being believed to be self expensive. On the other hand, contemporary art focuses mainly on social, so contemporary art has a social impact.
- Modern art is generally made on a canvas by the artist. On the other hand, contemporary art can be made on every medium like tech-enabled artwork, graphical arts, object design, and video art.
There is a lot of confusion in understanding the difference between modern art and contemporary art. The above differences will help to understand their difference and classified the art.
As the primary difference between modern art and contemporary art has been told, we can see that modern art refers from the era 1860 to 1970, and the present time art is known as contemporary art.
Table of Contents