SUVs are not only similar to a truck in terms of their build but also in terms of their sturdy features and engine strength. SUVs have an elevated body, while MUVs can be classed as simply larger sedans with an enhanced passenger capacity than normal cars.
They represent a sub-category of SUVs. This seminal difference in the appearance and lineage of the two cars is reflected in the other notable differences.
- MUV, or multi-utility vehicle, is designed to be versatile and adaptable for various purposes.
- SUV, or sports utility vehicle, is a type of car that is designed for off-road driving and has a higher ground clearance than other cars.
- MUVs are more suited for families and cargo transportation, while SUVs are designed for rough terrain and outdoor activities.
MUV vs SUV
MUVs (Multi Utility Vehicles) are meant to transport passengers and cargo more spaciously and comfortably. SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle) is built for off-road and on-road use, with superior ground clearance for transporting people and cargo.
A Multi-Utility Vehicle is a spacious car used to ferry at least 5-6 people. At the same time, a Sports Utility Vehicle is lightweight and effectively designed as an adventure car equipped to tackle rough outdoor terrain.
|Parameters of Comparison
|Pedigree and Design
|The design of a MUV reflects features similar to a minivan.
|The design of an SUV reflects its similarities with a truck.
|Sports Utility Vehicle.
|Cannot be used for off-roading purposes.
|It can be used for off-roading purposes.
|MUVs operate on an FWD system.
|Either the RWD or AWD system is used by most SUVs.
|Less expensive than SUVs.
|They are more expensive than MUVs.
|MUVs tend to be fuel-efficient, offering good mileage.
|SUVs are not fuel-efficient and offer poor mileage.
|The engine of a MUV is weaker than an SUV.
|The engine of an SUV is stronger than a MUV.
What is MUV?
A Multi-Utility Vehicle or MUV is a large, spacious car built as an improved, stylized station wagon. It is considered a subset of the broader SUV category of automobiles. MUVs are essentially family cars that help improve the travel experience by offering an enhanced passenger capacity.
Operating on an FWD system, MUVs are suited for travelling on levelled roads. Their cost-effective designs and augmented mileage rates make them a top choice among most people looking for family cars. Connoting their spacious interiors and core functionality, these cars are called ‘people movers’.
Most MUVs fall in the lower end of the price spectrum. However, MUVs are not well-suited for undulating terrains. They also have smaller, less powerful engines, making them ill-fit for off-roading adventures.
What is SUV?
SUVs or Sports Utility Vehicles are derived from an improved and stylized truck design. These cars are famed for their sporty look and sturdy design. The body of an SUV is constructed on an elevated and raised platform- mimicking a truck’s design.
Much like trucks, they are strong and fit for off-roading adventures.
The powerful engine of an SUV is distinctively unmatched. They operate on RWD or AWD systems, making navigation hassle-free and smooth. This makes controlling the vehicle easier when driving through rough terrains. Thus, they are renowned as adventure cars.
A drawback with these cars is that they tend to be expensive compared to the other subset prototypes in the same genre. They also offer poor mileage capacities and a high car maintenance cost.
Due to these disadvantages, most people tend to choose a MUV over an SUV.
Main Differences Between MUV and SUV
- The main difference between a MUV and an SUV is that the design for the former is derived from a minivan, and the design for the latter is derived from a truck. The former resembles a larger sedan with enhanced passenger capacities, while the latter represents adventure cars that are strong and sturdy like trucks.
- The abbreviations of the two terms are different. While MUV stands for a Multi-Utility Vehicle, SUV is a shorthand commonly used to connote a Sports Utility Vehicle.
- SUVs are adventure cars suited for rough terrains and frequent off-roading. MUVs are not suitable choices for such terrains.
- A MUV operates on an FWD or Front Wheel Drive system. This eliminates the need for a driveshaft, making the car’s interior spacious. While SUVs use Rear-Wheel Drive (RWD) or Auto-Wheel Drive (AWD) systems.
- The cost of an SUV is higher than a MUV. MUVs are available in the market at a lower price point, and their maintenance cost is relatively lower. These factors make them much more cost-effective than SUVs.
- SUVs have more powerful engines than MUVs. The strength of a MUV engine is inferior when compared to an SUV engine.
- The two subcategories of automobiles are also contrary when their fuel efficiency levels are compared. MUVs tend to be more economical and fuel-efficient, while SUVs are known to offer much lower mileage and augmented fuel expenses. SUVs are hailed as gas busters due to their high fuel exhaustion.
Last Updated : 11 June, 2023
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Piyush Yadav has spent the past 25 years working as a physicist in the local community. He is a physicist passionate about making science more accessible to our readers. He holds a BSc in Natural Sciences and Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science. You can read more about him on his bio page.