In our times, we could not think of studying virtually. Online tutoring platforms have been trending for almost a decade. Among them, two of the best online tutoring platforms are Outschool and Udemy; they provide online learning opportunities from home or anywhere with internet access.
- Outschool is an online learning platform that offers interactive, live classes for K-12 students on various subjects and topics.
- Udemy is an online marketplace that offers various courses on various subjects, including technology, business, and personal development.
- Outschool focuses on live, small-group classes with a hands-on, project-based approach, while Udemy provides on-demand video courses with a self-paced learning format.
Outschool vs Udemy
The difference between Outschool and Udemy is that Outschool is the platform of live online classes for kids, connecting learners, parents and teachers in small group learning over video chat. At the same time, Udemy is a massive open online course provider for professional adults and students.
Outschool was founded in San Francisco in 2015 and launched in 2017, offering over 100,000 live online classes. The subjects that Outschool offers range from Math, reading, and Science to LEGO Engineering. The classes take place over live video chat, and learners can learn over text, audio and video.
Udemy was founded in San Francisco in 2010, offering 155,000 courses.
The courses on Udemy are available, ranging from Finance and accounting, Development, IT and Software, Office productivity, Personal Development, Lifestyle, Marketing, Design, Photography, Music, Health, Teaching and Academics to Business in over 65 languages.
|Parameter of Comparison||Outschool||Udemy|
|Founder and year of foundation||Amit Nathoo co-founded it in 2015.||It was founded by Eren Bali, Oktay Caglar, and Gagan Biyani in 2010.|
|Language of courses||The teaching courses that Outschool offers are in the English language||Udemy offers courses in 65 languages like English, Spanish, Italian, Korean, French, etc.|
|Headquarter and Offices||It is headquartered in San Francisco, CA, US.||It is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices in Ankara, Turkey; Dublin, Ireland; Sao Paulo, Brazil; Denver, CO and, Gurugram, India.|
|Popularity as a brand||Lesser popular as compared to Udemy, with a 3-star rating.||More popular than Outschool with 5- a star rating.|
|Types of courses||Outschool offers about 100k courses for students with the formats like One-time classes, Short courses, Camp courses, Semester courses, and Ongoing classes.||Udemy offers about 155k Courses for professionals and students with the formats like video files, text articles, and quizzes. Within the video format, students can choose screencast, slide presentations and video and talking head.|
What is Outschool?
Outschool is a remote learning platform with the motto ‘Inspire kids to Love Learning’. They create interest–based, small-group learning taking place over video chat. Outschool learned from secular homeschoolers and also served them for the first time.
In Outschool, there are thousands of choices for high-quality classes for every interest. Learners can construct new skills with peers sharing interests. Students learn with engaging teachers over video chat, text, audio and video.
The teachers focus on their subjects of expertise to make the lessons exciting.
Outschool works in partnership with organizations of all sizes, public, private and charter schools. The engaged community of thousands of families associated with Outschool can offer classes to other Educational organizations and camps.
Students are addicted to these classes and find it joyful to learn on this platform.
What is Udemy?
Udemy also provides an online learning forum for kids and professionals. It has the motto ‘Improving Lives Through Learning’. It connects students to the best instructors to teach and help them achieve their goals.
The employees in Udemy are both teachers and learners, which leads them to personal and professional growth— udemy partners with many organizations to allow those with limited education.
Udemy launched the Udemy Free Resource Centre (UFRC), where learners can find over 150 free Udemy courses. Over 1.45 million people have enrolled in this course.
It works with local organizations like pledge 1%, Spark, Glide, Tusla, and More Than One Perspective to raise funds for middle school and refugee students so that they can buy laptops for education.
Main Differences Between Outschool and Udemy
- Outschool and Udemy provide remote learning access to students with various courses. Outschool offers 100,000 courses, but Udemy Offers 150,000 courses.
- Through Outschool, students can take small-group classes, from anywhere, via video chat for K-12 Math, Science, Art, Life skills, and more. While on Udemy, students can learn through online courses on their schedule.
- Outschool doesn’t provide free courses, but its courses are cheaper than other online platforms. On the other hand, Udemy has launched 150 free courses.
- Outschool provides only English courses, but Udemy courses are available in about 65 languages.
- Outschool does not require teachers to have a formal degree for teaching. They believe that teachers can give their best to teach students based on their experience and expertise, even if they do not have formal teaching credentials. They can take live classes. Udemy also does not require any degree in teaching. Teachers can choose the topics of their interest and build the course and start instructing.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Emma Smith holds an MA degree in English from Irvine Valley College. She has been a Journalist since 2002, writing articles on the English language, Sports, and Law. Read more about me on her bio page.