A registered jack (RJ) is a normalized telecom network interface for associating voice and information hardware with assistance from a nearby trade transporter or significant distance transporter.
Likewise, enrolled jacks are fundamentally named by the letters RJ, trailed by two digits that express the sort.
The essentially important thing while knowing about these connectors is the number of positions accessible on the connector and the number of contacts that are present. When there are more positions available, the connectors are essentially bigger.
- RJ9 and RJ11 are connectors used for telephony systems, with RJ9 being smaller than RJ11.
- RJ9 has 4 contacts and is used for telephone handsets, while RJ11 has 6 contacts and is commonly used for landline connections.
- RJ9 is incompatible with RJ11 jacks, while RJ11 jacks can accept RJ9 plugs with limited functionality.
Rj9 vs Rj11
RJ9 only comes in one type of configuration, that is, the 4P4C connection type. In contrast to that, RJ11 comprises two types of configuration. They are, namely, 6P2C and 6P4C connection types.
RJ9 connector is considered to be a 4-position, 4-conveyor plug. It generally ends on a 4 conductor telephone link. RJ9 is used to connect a phone handset to a phone collector.
The RJ 9 is not an ideal choice as a connector you will go over occasionally.
Rj11 Registered Jack – 11 is a phone interface that uses a link extensively of wire sets and a measured jack with two, four, or six contacts.
RJ-11 is considered the basic connector for connecting a phone to the divider and the handset into the phone. RJ11 links can carry up to six wires for up to three phone lines, and their classification is RJ11, RJ14, or RJ25, depending upon the number of lines.
|Parameters of Comparison||Rj9||Rj11|
|Functionality||Telephone handset cables||Phones and modem cables|
|Shape and structure||Rectangular||Square|
|Configuration||4p4C Configuration||6p2C/64pC Configuration|
|Size||Rj9 is smaller in comparison to Rj11.||Rj11 is bigger in size.|
|Versatility||Less as it has only one configuration type to connect.||More versatile as it comes with two configuration types.|
What is Rj9?
The Rj9 has a marginally unexpected shape in comparison to the Rj11. It has a rectangular shape.
However, it is more modest than the Rj11. It is made with plastic and is additionally understood, permitting you to see the association of wires inside.
The important fact to consider about Rj9 is that the RJ 9 isn’t a connector you will run over occasionally. It is often signified as the RJ10 or RJ22, and it likewise has a unique setup type.
Due to the slight difference in the shape of Rj9, it is smaller than that of Rj11. The Rj9 has one connector type that is 4P4C, which means it contains 4 positions and 4 connection points, making it ideal for connecting telephone connections.
Since phone handsets/headsets don’t generally associate straightforwardly with the public organization, they don’t have a particular enlisted jack code.
What is Rj11?
The Rj11 is a connector that has a square mould. It has a width of about 9.6mm.
It has an interesting, straightforward look lets you see the wires’ unpredictable association.
It is made utilizing plastic that is solid and very firm. It is tiny and tips the scales at 0.16 ounces.
The critical fact to know about RJ11 is That RJ 11 is most regularly utilized for phone and modem associations and has two arrangement types.
6 Positions, 4 conductors.
Utilized ADSL, Modems, and Telephones, Establishing spanned association in phone lines.
RJ11 is a simple phone association.
RJ 11 uses just four of the six accessible spaces.
RJ11 interfaces 4 wires.
RJ11 is minimal and square-moulded.
RJ11 is an association jack that makes a scaffold association for a solitary phone line.
RJ11 utilizes a standard 6P2C connector for a standard phone association. It possibly utilizes a 6P4C connector when low-voltage power is needed to ship off the marker light of the phone.
RJ11 jack utilizes a level stain link containing two slim copper wires.
RJ11 jack is utilized in ordinary family wire phones and modem associations.
Main Differences Between RJ9 and RJ11
- The Rj9 has a different shape than the Rj11. It is rectangular, while the Rj11 is a square-shaped connector.
- The Rj9 has only one type of configuration: the 4P4C connection type, which provides 4 positions and 4 connection points. On the contrary, Rj11 has two connection points that are 6P2C and 6P4C, providing more positions and connection points.
- The 4P4C arrangement of the Rj9 connector makes it ideal for associating phone handset links. It has 3 prongs in its wrinkles that make it viable with strong and abandoned wires. Whereas, The Rj11 connector is ideal for telephone lines and modem associations. The explanation is that it can simultaneously deal with a limit of 4 wires.
- Due to the rectangular shape of Rj9, it is relatively minor in size. On the other hand, Rj11, the square-shaped connector, is comparably larger than Rj9.
- The Rj9 connector type has less versatility in connection as it only comes with one type of connector, which is 4P4C. At the same time, Rj11 provides more versatility in connecting devices due to its two configuration types, 6P2C and 6P4C.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.