The craze for Netflix and Amazon OTT platforms (over-the-top) has been increasing daily. Sometimes people watch it over a big screen instead of on their mobile phones.
Therefore, there are a lot of devices with the help of which they can stream video online over their television screen.
Roku is a device with the help of which people can stream videos. It was released in May 2008 by an American company named Roku, Inc., And Slingbox is a device that helps or, with the help of which people can stream videos on their television set.
It acts as a remote controller for the television set connected to the internet.
- Roku is a streaming device that provides access to various streaming services, while Slingbox is a device that allows users to access their cable or satellite TV programming from anywhere.
- Roku has a more user-friendly interface and is easier to set up than Slingbox, which requires more technical expertise to install and configure.
- Roku is a standalone device that can be used without a cable or satellite subscription, while Slingbox requires an existing cable or satellite subscription to function.
Roku vs Slingbox
Roku acts as a set-top-box having lots of online streaming platforms which can be connected to a television set. At the same time, Slingbox acts as a connector or adapter for a television set that helps people stream videos online with a connection to the internet.
An American company develops Roku. And it is trendy in families. The first collaboration of Roku was with the Netflix platform. It all began in May 2008, and Roku became famous and popular because of its low-cost streaming option.
It was small in size and had lots of features in it.
Slingbox is a connector that connects the internet to your television set and helps you control the cable television set. Slingbox was launched in 2002 by two Californians, Blake Krikorian and Jason Krikorian.
It provides remote access to your television set or video recorders etc.
|Parameters of Comparison||Roku||Slingbox|
|Function||Roku acts as a set-top-box but not like a normal one because it contains OTT platforms like Netflix, Hotstar, etc. So one can stream videos and movies online.||Slingbox is a connector or adapter which provides you remote access for your television set when connected to the internet.|
|Developed||An American company set up Roku in May 2008.||Slingbox was developed in 2002 by blake and Jason.|
|Wireless adaptability||Roku is available both in wired devices and wireless devices.||Slingbox is generally a wired device.|
|Price||Roku is less expensive and affordable.||Slingbox is more expensive than Roku.|
|Content availability||Roku is very content-friendly and has a lot more content to stream.||Slingbox has only those sources you have streamed on your television set or digital video recorder player.|
What is Roku?
Roku is a device that offers several online streaming platforms with lots of new content. The first collaboration of Roku was with Netflix, and now several others are also available in it, like Hotstar, Apple tv, Hulu, etc.
Roku is a small device similar to a set-top box for your television set.
Roku is now available as a wireless device also means it does not need any connection as it works through infrared rays generation.
Because of its small size, it covers less space, and one can control their content with a remote provided. Roku was made in America and was launched publicly in 2008.
Many devices are available from Roku company, like Roku smart tv and wireless media players. Roku’s second generation was launched in July 2011, in which a microSD card can be added.
And the latest Roku ninth generation has new ultra 4800 instead of an sd card.
What is Slingbox?
Slingbox connects your standard television set or cable tv to the internet to make it more enjoyable. Slingbox is a controller with the help of which you can remote your television set accordingly.
It is more expensive than Roku but does not offer much content. It only shows you what you have streamed or recorded on your digital video recorder player.
Slingbox was developed in 2002 by two Californians, Blake Krikorian and Jason Krikorian. It uses an amazon web services-based configuration. A person needs a client application or an account to watch content on a Slingbox-based device.
Slingbox owners have also decided to discontinue them in November 2022.
Main Differences Between Roku and Slingbox
- Roku acts as a set-top-box but not like a normal one because it contains OTT platforms like Netflix, Hotstar, etc. And Slingbox is a connector or adapter which provides you with the control for your television set when connected to the internet.
- Slingbox was launched in 2002 by two Californians, Blake Krikorian and Jason Krikorian. And Roku was developed in America in May 2008.
- Roku is available both in wired devices, wireless devices and as a smart tv also. Slingbox is generally a wired device, and now they have also launched their smart TVs.
- Roku is more popular as it is less expensive than Slingbox and contains many things to stream. At the same time, Slingbox is a little bit costly.
- Content availability is more in Roku because of its rich set of partners and content. Whereas Slingbox only has contents available on your device or that you stream on your tv set.
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Sandeep Bhandari holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Computers from Thapar University (2006). He has 20 years of experience in the technology field. He has a keen interest in various technical fields, including database systems, computer networks, and programming. You can read more about him on his bio page.