Sushi and Maki have become so popular today, that one can find these Japanese dishes in a large number of countries today.
Sushi vs Maki
The main difference between Maki and Sushi is that of its shape. Maki is a variety of Sushi that is circular in shape while Sushi is one that can come in varying shapes. Sushi and Maki are the traditional dishes of Japan and one cannot miss them while talking about Japanese dishes.
Sushi being a Japanese dish, comprises of vinegared rice and various other ingredients such as raw fish, seafood, and vegetables. Sushi consists of a base of rice, accompanied by other ingredients.
Here the sushi refers to the rice and not the fish. Shari and Neta are the two parts that a Sushi is made up of.
The cooked rice refers to Shari whereas the various other ingredients refer to Neta.
Maki is a variety of sushi that is rolled up in nori. It is cylindrical in shape and includes grilled seaweed nori that is rolled around vinegared rice and various other fillings.
Comparison Table Between Sushi and Maki (in Tabular Form)
|Parameter of Comparison||Sushi||Maki|
|Definition||Sushi is the traditional dish of Japan that comprises of vinegared rice and various other ingredients such as raw fish, seafood, and vegetables.||Maki is a sushi that is cylindrical in shape and includes grilled seaweed nori, that is rolled around vinegared rice and various other fillings.|
|Shape||Sushi can have varying shapes.||Maki is round in shape.|
|Ingredients||Sushi comprises of vinegar flavoured rice and several other ingredients such as raw fish, vegetables and seafood.||Maki comprises of sushi rice, fillings and the seaweed mat (nori).|
|Types||The different types of sushi include: Oshi Zushi (pressed sushi), Nigiri Zushi (hand shaped sushi), Chirashi Zushi (scattered sushi) and Maki Zushi (rolled sushi)||The different types of maki include: hosomaki (thin rolls),uramaki (inside-out roll) futomaki (thick, large or fat rolls) and temaki (hand roll)|
|Presentation||Sushi can be served in a number of ways based on the style of the sushi, but the primary rule of presentation is simplicity.||Maki is served in cylindrical rolls that show layers of fish, vegetables, rice, and seaweed.|
What is Sushi?
Sushi is vinegar flavoured rice accompanied by seafood, vegetables, raw fish and other ingredients. The preparation and the ingredients of the sushi may differ greatly, but the primary ingredient is rice that all sushi has in usual.
White as well as brown rice can be used in Sushi. It is mostly served with a variety of seasonings such as, Wasabi, pickled ginger and soy sauce.
Sushi includes a large range of dishes and some common sushi types are given below:
- Chirashizushi bowl of vine flavoured rice coated with sashimi and other seasonings.
- Narezushi is another variety of sushi. Rice is set out with peeled, cleaned fish that is brewed for around six months with salt.
- Inarizushi is a type of sushi that is made by stuffing sushi rice to a container of tofu and then frying it.
- Makizushi is a variety of sushi that is prepared by placing the sushi rice and the other ingredients in seaweed and rolling them.
We found the best deal(s) on Amazon for you
|1||Delamu Sushi Making Kit, 20 in 1 Sushi Bazooka Roller Kit with Chef’s Knife, Bamboo Mats, Bazooka...||Check Price on Amazon|
|2||Alas Sushi Making Kit- Complete Sushi Making Kit for Beginners & Pros Sushi Makers, Perfect Sushi...||Check Price on Amazon|
|3||29 PCS Sushi Making Kit,Diy All In One Sushi Bazooka Maker with Bamboo Sushi Mat,Bamboo...||Check Price on Amazon|
What is Maki?
Maki is a variety of sushi. It can also be known as rolled sushi. Its shape is cylindrical.
There are layers of cooked or raw fish, vinegared rice and vegetables which are put on a sheet of seaweed and then rolled into a cylinder. Thereafter several pieces are cut off.
This stuffing can be also enfolded in soy paper, a thin omelette, or a cucumber. Maki can be split into various categories, based on the stuffing and the thickness of the roll.
Some of these types are given below:
- Futomaki is a type of maki which is a large cylindrical piece having a 2 inches diameter. It is generally vegetarian and can have two or more ingredients in the stuffing.
- Hosomaki is another type of maki which is a small cylindrical piece with a 1-inch diameter. Its stuffing mostly comprises of only one ingredient.
- Temaki is a big piece which is cone-shaped, stuffed with different ingredients and is meant to be consumed with hands.
- Uramaki is a roll that is inside-out; it is a cylindrical piece which is medium-sized. Here the rice is outside the roll. It is mostly eaten outside of Japan.
Main Differences Between Sushi and Maki
- Sushi is a Japanese dish made from rice. Maki is nothing but a variety of sushi that is also known as rolled sushi.
- Maki is prepared in almost the same way as sushi, but the only difference is that Maki is made by folding the composition in nori.
- Sushi includes a large variety of dishes, Nigiri and Maki are the most common types of sushi dishes. Maki is a variety of sushi that consists of grilled seaweed nori which is rolled around vinegar flavoured rice and different stuffings.
- Sushi can be served in many ways, whereas Maki is served in rolls.
- The different types of sushi include pressed sushi, hand shaped sushi, scattered sushi and rolled sushi.
- The different types of maki include thin rolls, inside-out rolls, thick, large or fat rolls and hand rolls.
Sushi can include any preparation of ingredients with vinegar flavoured rice and presented in pieces of bite-size. Sushi has nothing to do with fish as it is most popularly believed to be.
The preparation of rice is what ‘Sushi’ relates to. Sushi is mostly a non-fattening and nutritious food.
It is naturally low in fat and high in carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Sushi has become so popular that it has been transformed into various dishes with different preparation, ingredients and seasonings.
Subtypes are also found, like rolled sushi, pressed sushi, handmade sushi and scattered sushi. Nigiri and Maki are the two types of sushi:
- Maki is prepared in rolls and cut into pieces of bite-size. In a maki roll, the various ingredients are rolled up in seaweed (nori) and vinegar flavoured rice. Sesame seeds, fish roe or other ingredients can be used to sprinkle outside.
- Nigiri is basically an amalgamation of sushi and sashimi. Raw slices of fish (sashimi) with an oval shaped mound of pressed vinegar rice (sushi) is what constitutes Nigiri.
Maki and Nigiri are packed with protein because of the layers of rice veggies, fish and seaweed. They are relatively low on calories.
The rice forms the most part of the calories and carbs are also added to the meal. The seaweed is filled with minerals that are important for proper hormone function.
|AskAnyDifference Home||Click here|
I’ve put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to you. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media or with your friends/family. SHARING IS ♥️
Last update on 2022-09-25 / Amazon Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents